Bug fixes 11/28/2020 02:20 AM CST
Fixed a typo in the ship bird get messaging.
Fixed a few typos in ship room descriptions chambers.
Fixed Wood Salvage pile allowing extra wood.
Fixed when a ship still having an engaged flag on docking.

Retser, SGM
Re: Bug fixes 11/28/2020 08:27 AM CST
Hey Retser,

My wife and I tried OSA for the first time yesterday. We both had a blast with our initial experience and plan on doing more in the near future. Even the current implementation is loads of fun and we're excited about the prospect that there is even more yet to come. Quite an ambitious and amazing add to Gemstone! Also kudos to all the folks that did work around the town, I've only partially explored but am having fun with the descriptions, ambient messaging, stock in stores, etc.

Two quick suggestion and one limited observation:

- Can there be a way to better blatantly identify the ship you are boarding? I understand you can LOOK sloop before you board to get the ship name. Maybe have it actually give you the name of the ship and who the captain is when you cross the gangplank or something? I had a case where I was standing in the hold of my newly purchased sloop and someone started coming down and taking cannon balls up to the main deck to load my cannons. Problem being they weren't in my crew and were on the wrong ship. Similarly, later in the day, my wife did the same thing on someone else's ship so it seems to be a somewhat common / easy to make mistake. I haven't tested this yet, but if I have the ship painted will this show up in the short description at the dock? At least that would help make the ship more easily identifiable from other ships.
- The ship rename feature is evil in its current form. I say that both with respect and annoyance! It would be a great addition, upon being presented with a new name choice, if we could choose between retaining the current name or accepting the new name vs. having to always take the new ship name no matter how much we dislike it.

- While I don't have any issue with the costs and fees associated with purchasing and upgrading my sloop, I think all told I spent around 12 million getting it functionally to where I wanted it (still more to go on appearances), I'm rather underwhelmed by the loot we seem to be making when we actually go out and not sure it is even covering my basic fees each time I operate the boat. I would expect that, after making a somewhat large investment in being able to participate in this particular adventure, there would be some opportunity to recoup some of the investment over time. Not seeing that on our initial foray into this - quite possibly we just don't have the hang of it yet and are 'doing it wrong' but thought I would put that observation out there anyway. From my initial experience I'm thinking I'm going to need to hunt bandits on the side to help pay for my sailing habit (similar to owning a real life boat I suppose...)

Thanks to you and all of the GMS for your time and effort into making Gemstone even more fun!

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: Bug fixes 11/28/2020 10:04 AM CST
"From my initial experience I'm thinking I'm going to need to hunt bandits on the side to help pay for my sailing habit (similar to owning a real life boat I suppose...)" -- Other-Robert

Boat, n. A hole in the water into which you throw money.

Q: Know how you get a boat and a small fortune?
A: Start with a large fortune.
Re: Bug fixes 11/28/2020 03:19 PM CST
We set sail again today but as we are very new to this we wanted to avoid anything larger than a sloop. After sailing around for 30-40 minutes and only encountering half a dozen brigantines we finally returned to port empty handed. We'll give it another try this evening.

Are we just having bad RNG luck on the enemy ships this or is there a trick on where to sail to get more same sized ships?

We have an upgraded sloop but as we are both complete novices it didn't seem prudent to take on a larger ship until we had at least a little more experience.

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: Bug fixes 11/28/2020 10:27 PM CST
Honestly...not much difference with a brig vs sloop in a fight like you are describing.

If you are going to board them...then just make sure you are patching up the ship as they are coming in. You should still just get one foe per PC spawn. Stay on your own ship. Let them come to you. The pace is no harder than a sloop, its just more foes to fight.

I would say that the krolvin ships drop incredible amounts of treasure. Boxes aplenty. But...as you point out, you have to sail and find them. Its not consistent. I think OSA is there because its a fun system. If you are looking for efficiency and cost vs benefit, OSA probably won't be it.
Re: Bug fixes 12/08/2020 01:26 PM CST
Hey Robert, I'm glad you enjoy it overall and thank you for the positive feedback.

I would suggest using your gangplank like a lock. That is the equivalent of closing/locking your doors on your house. The name of the ship and appearance is the indicator of who it belongs to. (Customize it more, throw silvers at your wooden vessel!)

Yes, I think if you're looking at the initial buy in it could be considered high. This has a lot of other features as others have touched on. You can travel between towns. This is a pseudo private hunting ground and quest for all levels and can be a place to hang out/rest. Getting a crew together and braving the ocean is a lot of fun. (In my opinion at least) The treasure can be decent if you hustle. I would suggest using the black flag if you want a faster pace (if you haven't already). Check the SHIP FLAG command in your crow's nest. I would frequent the OSA channel on discord as a lot of people have put in a good amount of time there and probably know my system better than I do. You can definitely profit as you move up to bigger ships and hunt pirates in storms, but if you're looking for ROI.. you probably won't find it here. This is more of a "this is about the fun!" factor.

The larger ships are a great way to make more money. As long as you upgraded as you said, you shouldn't have a problem. It just equates to more units on board when you board it. Always keep an eye on your ship's overall health with ASSESS.

Retser, SGM