Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 09:40 AM CDT
I've been playing GS for a long time and seem to recall an event that happened around 1997-1998 or earlier. My brain is coughing up the name "Hot Summer Nights" but I know this event happened later. Was HSN something that happened over several years and could have taken place in 1997ish?
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 10:56 AM CDT
Yeah. Hot Summer Nights was a summer promotion dating back to the mid-90's. Usually HSN entailed merchant events, auctions, new mechanical releases, etc. I think the last one happened while I was on a break so I'm not entirely sure when they petered out, but it was definitely an annual thing for many, many years and they certainly had an HSN auction with the move to the web in 1997.
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 11:00 AM CDT
Speaking of..

Hey, Robert (or anyone, really)? Do you still have your lists for the '97 and '98 auction? Those would be a good relic to get up there on KP. Looks like they only have the list from 2000.
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 11:41 AM CDT
It was a reoccurring, if not necessarily an annual event. I want to say the last HSN coincided with the release of the new races.

GM Scribes
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 02:05 PM CDT
Maybe it's time to bring it back? A friend of mine saw that GS was offering a free month and she was thinking of coming back to take a look. She tried it out years ago because I have been here far too long but she had trouble like new players do with navigation and stuff.

Velvette
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 02:53 PM CDT
Hot Summer Nights was a GEnie promotion, continued by Genie (when General Electric sold the sub-branch of online stuff) and later by Simutronics (when they went to the web as opposed to individual service access).

HSN on GEnie was an annual thing, to increase the userbase for their services, particularly games since those tend to be a) addictive and b) nearly pure profit. This was usually done with extraordinary deals, services, or whatnot. The traditional culmination in GemStone was the annual Auction.

I know there was one in 2002 since that was when all the Bard tweaks going on got me to reroll my ICE aged guy and bring him current.
"In an effort to meet that request last year, we brought you the very successful "Hot Summer Nights 2002." (Visit http://www.play.net/gs3/news/hotsummernights/hsn_review.asp for a complete review of all HSN releases.)" -- SIMU-MELISSA in "A Letter from the Producer: The Next Generation of GemStone" on 3/21/2003 at 1:03:55 PM #3289
Yes, that link is still live.

Yes, I still have the item lists; their text files, so I just park 'em somewhere in c:\gs3\ on every computer I've got. :) Sending them to you in separate email, feel free to post them to KP.
Re: Promotion or event from a long time ago 04/04/2014 04:54 PM CDT
We did a HSN in 2004 as well. Though, if memory serves, I enjoyed the 2002 one better than the 2004 version.

SGM Sleken