Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 02:59 PM CST
While it would be nifty to change all the NPCs to match every storyline, I don't think that's very practical.

However, I think adding ambient messaging in certain areas (TSC, etc) is a brilliant idea. It's simple to execute, yet would help spread the word that something different is going on. Additionally, instead of changing existing NPCs, you could simply add a new one that goes around talking about the storyline.

For a little extra work, give a few NPCs answers about the situation via the ASK command. It seems such a terribly underused and natural method for making information available. I'm often disappointed--and occasionally surprised--by the responses of NPCs to questions they should really know something about.

~ Heathyr and friends

Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 03:26 PM CST
I prefer a more personal method of communication than making a storyline specific NPC, especially for something that is only going to last a couple weeks.

That is why I wander around as the deputy sometimes, and bring in the mayor, and have a steaming fissure in the middle of town firing off ambient messaging.

I've also added some random messaging while I'm around. (ie: the halfling boy falling into a fissure, hehe.)

This is just the start of a longer process. As the prologue to greater things, it will not be a very long occupation of the town. I expect it to be over by the end of the month, roughly.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 05:29 PM CST
<<<I prefer a more personal method of communication than making a storyline specific NPC, especially for something that is only going to last a couple weeks.>>>

Can't argue with that. :)
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 06:32 PM CST
I am one that will say I greatly enjoy the town being under constant siege. While some may say this is because I have a capped character part of that is true. One of the things I have been enjoying the most is being in town center binding all the creatures that wander in and allowing the younger ones a chance to hack them to death sometimes even using spirit strike to help them take the creature down. Also, occasionally I will tour the town and take down whatever I see to help make the streets a bit safer and if anyone groans about a witch being south I will go and clear the road so they can be on about their business. I see it as even though this is a starter town with a lot of newbie characters popping up it gives the town a chance to band together and help each other.

As for people taking advantage of the justice not being active I cannot honestly say I have seen really any of this in Icemule lately. Granted, I am not online all the time or in town center all the time, but most people seem to be remaining focused on the task at hand which is killing the creatures.

I will agree that more ambient messaging would be fun, but if you stand next to a fissure long enough you will get quite a bit of it.

Now, with the backdrop to the story I can say there has been a lot going on and quite a few of us have been trying to discuss and spread the word about what we see or hear. I cannot recall when something has happened that I haven't heard about shortly after logging into the game. One of the things I know I tried to do was post information on the forums to help keep people up to date but I know that not everyone reads the forums. We even posted about meetings where we were going to get together to do some research and only about four people showed up. There are quite a few of us who are willing and openly sharing what we know, don't hesitate to ask, even if no one is discussing it currently in town center.

Player of Astari.

Vaalorclean]-Aize: "stabbidy stabbidy good"

xxxxxx(00:42:17): "I have every Astari action figure... And all of the trading cards... (heavy breathing)..."

Ruabadra whispers, "So I heard something about you dying, chivalrous and a squirrel."
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 07:02 PM CST
<<...(ie: the halfling boy falling into a fissure, hehe.)>>

Was this the same halfling boy that ran for the Deputy after Hidulah called fiery meteors down on Town Center?

...because the way Asenora heard it from Cliona, he was pushed.

I like what's going on in the town of Icemule Trace at the moment, and I've been at that point where I can't participate in a storyline with any of my characters because they weren't high enough of a level. I think the separation of creatures into different town burrows solves this problem nicely, so characters can make a conscious choice whenever they go out walking the streets. It's also necessary to ask for help once in a while, else how will the citizens who are defending the town know about individuals who are having a difficult time of things?

)O(Mikaela)O(

Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "Well, based on my past two months . . ."
Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "The future of Sorcery has wings."
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 07:05 PM CST
<<I see it as even though this is a starter town with a lot of newbie characters popping up it gives the town a chance to band together and help each other.>>

I completely agree.

Help will only come to those who ask for it, so speak up when you're in town and someone is sure to answer.

)O(Mikaela)O(

Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "Well, based on my past two months . . ."
Speaking in Guildspeak, Kastrel softly says, "The future of Sorcery has wings."
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/25/2012 07:13 PM CST
The story is the most important thing.

The best stories are allowed to unfold without being obvious or impossible to follow.

If a PC can perform a task that's integral to the story rather than an NPC, let them do it. Even if the end results aren't completely predictable, it lends credibility to the story.

Try not to make your NPC's too uber. I get that sometimes they're just going to have to be able to do things we can't, but having vulnerabilities makes their characters believable.

Kerl
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/26/2012 05:47 PM CST

<You die in the storyline/invasion, and you're dead for good.

Loose a limb, you're stuck with the consequences (mechanical too).

Get hailed as the second coming of Terate and gain the ability to explode people just by looking at them.

Get banished from a town, never be able to come back.

Raise a demon to take over the world, get labeled a 'Terror to the Empire(s)' and have bandits hunt you wherever you go. Forever.

Town gets burnt to the ground or swallowed up by the ocean? Bye bye town!

Run for mayor, win and have to deal with government drivel. Then run the risk of being tarred and feathered and run out of town when you're caught with your hand in the cookie jar padding your own bank accounts.

Yes, some of these things could never happen, but my point is pretty clear.

About the only permanent thing we pass out are titles. Which are nice, I won't argue against it. However, until those titles mean something(Does anyone really think one of the many Knights we have could actually raise an army? Or think it odd someone who has the title of 'Banished', or whatever title still spends so much time in that town?) it's still not very permanent. That doesn't even touch on the fact that those titles can be stripped to mean nothing just because the GM who gave it out leaves staff.

Unfortunately, the population playing now, right or wrong, as a whole, doesn't support this type of idea. Much less the mechanics.>

I like alot of those ideas also.. for Plat., but one of the reasons I prefer premium is those things do not happen.
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/26/2012 06:04 PM CST

<Perhaps better communication with your fellow players would have gained some information. As you can see from my post in the Icemule folder, there are level 1 and 2 invaders, as well as level 16 and 18 invaders. These areas are isolated from the other creatures so young characters can fight them in safety.>

I think the design of invasions recently has improved greatly, with zones, and other attempts to do exactly what your saying.

What is an issue though, is Not the fault of the GMs its choices that players make. I spent hours, during the krolvin invasion on both the net and in town trying to encourage younger characters to join hunts. I also saw a few other older characters do the same. Most of the time what would happen is a few random people would join the group who were not there to aid or lead and were double the age of the creatures. End result a group would walk into a nice swarm of mid 20s creatures and some character 50ish would wipe them all out before any younger ones got in a swing. Or a similar situation but not in a group some level 50 character just walks around killing all the younger invasion creatures in minutes, leaving nothing but the oldest ones, wasting the value of those creatures to younger characters.

That is not a GM flaw, that is just someone who is not working with others or really just doesnt care and is hunting for loot.

This is also why I've made the suggestion of a temporary barrier of some sort that allows only age appropriate though it, or even in town in isolated places that arent so main services dependent. Or Put up some temporary columb, statue, rod, or something at the main spawning point for younger invaders that will zap anyone over its designed purpose and strip all there spells or stun them if they linger too long. The effect being, those under say 30 can hunt that area, anyone to far over 30 gets zapped but not killed if they linger more then a few seconds, they will eventually figure out not to go there an let the younger ones handle that part of town.
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/27/2012 12:15 PM CST
>>This is also why I've made the suggestion of a temporary barrier of some sort that allows only age appropriate though it, or even in town in isolated places that arent so main services dependent. Or Put up some temporary columb, statue, rod, or something at the main spawning point for younger invaders that will zap anyone over its designed purpose and strip all there spells or stun them if they linger too long. The effect being, those under say 30 can hunt that area, anyone to far over 30 gets zapped but not killed if they linger more then a few seconds, they will eventually figure out not to go there an let the younger ones handle that part of town

I thought about something along these lines when I began plotting All the Lich King's Men, because we all know, there's going to be "zones" for this storyline too. That said, I decided not to throw up level-blocking barriers, because first, I want players to explore all of the areas, to learn and share information on what lurks within, and what levels they may be, can handle, etc. I also don't want barriers blocking rescues. If a level 10 player dies along Blood and Gore Lane, I don't want it impossible for higher levels to come in and rescue them. (assuming teleporting in is blocked). And lastly, I personally just don't like forcing players into boxes. Granted, in invasions, it's more practical to do specific things to help youngings fight first, then older characters come in when the invaders get bigger, but in ongoing sieges/battles/wars with zones, I think it's easier if players can free-roam, leaving the responsibility up to the player base to determine how to handle the threat presented at every level.

-GM Kenstrom-
Wehnimer's Landing Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: What Kind Do You Like? 11/27/2012 06:46 PM CST
<That said, I decided not to throw up level-blocking barriers, because first, I want players to explore all of the areas, to learn and share information on what lurks within, and what levels they may be, can handle, etc. I also don't want barriers blocking rescues>

I agree with that, perhaps then a very short barrier, even just lasting minutes, that allows the first waves when a GM is monitoring to only be accessed by appropriate ages,then it drops. At least that would keep the capped anyone from just wiping them out before there even explored, Maybe even just ghostly voice or message implying..

you hear the guard captain yelling, something is creeping out of the water around the docks, they don't seem to be much of a challenge, send the new recruits there but hold our best men near the west gate in case its just a diversion!

and toss a couple big things at the gate let the little things be at the dock as the waves start that is..
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page