Highman Games 02/09/2010 05:56 PM CST
Thank ye all fer a vera enjoyable weekend. Ye folks dun a vera gud job with all this.

Morgiest
Re: Highman Games 02/09/2010 06:29 PM CST
<<Thank ye all fer a vera enjoyable weekend.

Of course you had a very enjoyable weekend, women were falling all over you and Frorin. :)

"Nothing but 'Haven' itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/10/2010 02:47 PM CST
We hope you enjoyed the Highman Games of 5110! Now that the event is concluded, we'd like to acknowledge the individuals who contributed to this massive group undertaking.

Original Highman Games Concept
Build concept, game design, and initial planning: Crusade, Vaschka, and the Development Teams.

Jirkirl*'*s Hilltop Festival Grounds
Initial room "painting" and layout: Crusade, Jacien, and Vashka
Updates, revisions, and game area additions: Kaikala and Talisker

Activities, Games, Etc
Arm Wrestling: original code - Tilmont; updated code - Emeradan
Caber Toss: code - Smite; messaging - Vaschka and Talisker
Challenge Arenas: original code - Modrian; updated code and messaging - Talisker
Drinking Game: concept and messaging - Kaikala; code - Leonric
Hammer Throw: code and messaging - Modrian
Shield Slalom: code and messaging - Smite
Tug of War: code and messaging - Modrian

Barmaid NPCs: messaging - Kaikala and Leonric; coding - Leonric
Divination NPC: concept and messaging - Thandiwe; coding - Leonric
Hairless Rolton NPC: concept and messaging - Talisker; coding Kaikala
Mood Messaging: day and night - Talisker
Scavenger Hunt: concept - Talisker
Storytelling: concept - Kaikala
Transport System: concept and messaging - Kaikala; code - Emeradan

Festival NPCs
Aiza, Andraste, Auchand, Bazar, Cirath, Galene, Izzea, Itzel, Kaikala, Kveta, Modrian, Naionna, Soraya, Talisker, Xayle
**Also, a special thanks to Flannihan, Jainna, Kenstrom, and Tamuz, who jumped in to help when we desperately needed volunteers to fill some gaps.

FESTIVAL Verb*/*Website Info
Kaikala

Games and Giantman FAQs*/*Info for GM Staff
Talisker

Maps
Talisker and onsite web staff

Merchandise*/*Shops and Raffles
Bazar, Jacien, Kaikala, Talisker, Thandiwe, Xayle, Xynwen

QC Support
Aiza, Andraste, Cirath, Isten, Kveta*, Xayle
(Don't know how, but missed Kveta in the original post--sorry!)

Runes and Divination Document
Concept, coding, and messaging - Thandiwe

Script QC and Development Support
(including coding fixes and emergency assistance)
Emeradan, Estild, Mestys, Modrian, and (especially) Sleken

Miscellaneous Behind*-*the*-*Scenes Support
Sirina, Xynwen
A cast of thousands well, not really, but the majority of the GM staff!

Vaikalimara Clan Document
Concept and writing Iscikella, under the auspices of Scribes and the Wordsmiths;
Additional input/overall giantkin integration - Talisker

Hopefully, I haven't left anyone out. Some of the individuals named above should have dozens of gold stars and little floaty hearts around their names because their efforts really went "above and beyond the call of duty." In every respect, this truly was a team project. My deep appreciation goes out to everyone who had a hand in it!

Finally, I'd like to thank the players! There was some terrific RP during the Highman Games, and there were many comments, on the GM-side of things, about how you all made the event fun for us, too. Your obvious enjoyment of the games and activities made it all worthwhile. : )

~Talisker
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/10/2010 03:25 PM CST
I'll admit, I went into this thing with low expectations, especially when the news that only giantmen/dwarves could officially compete/win anything. I'm glad I was sorely, sorely mistaken. From making whiskeyballs(tm) with Greata to playing strip-drinking/slalom games to seeing Droit's expression when I posted a higher score than him on the caber toss (early in the festival, before he became a tree-tossing machine...).

Hands down, some of the best fun I've had playing GS since the FWI festival last summer. Kudos and thanks to all that were involved.

The L behind the Laphrael

Chooz Your Shooz: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Laphrael
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/10/2010 04:48 PM CST
>From making whiskeyballs(tm) with Greata to playing strip-drinking/slalom games to seeing Droit's expression when I posted a higher score than him on the caber toss (early in the festival, before he became a tree-tossing machine...).

Droit Dassamar the Caber Toss Master begins to twitch.

(Thanks for the unique titles! They're awesome.)

Droit

Speaking to you, the ghostly voice of Kaedra asks, "Have I ever told you, I think you're crazy?"
>
The ghostly voice of Kaedra says, "That was an insane rescue."
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/10/2010 08:54 PM CST
I told this to Talisker privately, but this was one of his pet projects from years ago and with various events in his life and GS always seemed to get backburned.

So this is my public, "Damn, Nice Job my Friend" to someone i love and respect.

Was nice to see Sloop banging around and credits to some ex staff who helped out.

~Paul
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/13/2010 10:22 AM CST
I'd like to post some additional credits/notes about my team's work on the Highman Games.

First off, the entire team had a busy fall/winter. First Ebon Gate with an auction with a quick turnaround into the games.

Additionally, this was the first major project for our newer team members; Emeradan, Leonric and Smite.

GM Modrian went amazingly beyond what was required on his two games.

I'd just like to publicly thank them for their hard work on this project.

SGM Sleken
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/13/2010 05:26 PM CST
>I'd like to post some additional credits/notes about my team's work on the Highman Games.

>First off, the entire team had a busy fall/winter. First Ebon Gate with an auction with a quick turnaround into the games.

>Additionally, this was the first major project for our newer team members; Emeradan, Leonric and Smite.

>GM Modrian went amazingly beyond what was required on his two games.

>I'd just like to publicly thank them for their hard work on this project.

>SGM Sleken

When I mentioned floaty hearts and gold stars for some of the individuals on the Credits list, these are the guys I was talking about.

The success of the Highman Games is due, primarily, to these guys, and I want to add my personal thanks for all their hard work. Every one of them, including Sleken (who did the majority of the script QC), put in untold hours on this project. I hope they all get to take a well deserved break, at least for a while, because they've been knocking themselves out since autumn of last year, pretty much non-stop. Kudos to all of them for their fantastic effort!

~Talisker
Re: Highman Games Credits (corrected) 02/13/2010 06:53 PM CST
I hope they all get a well deserved bottle of whisky!
Maybe two if it's cheap enough!

The games were fantastic. I already miss the shield slalom! Even if I did break the hammer throw a time or two... Guess it broke in my favor, eh?

Trallihn, and the man behind the dwarf.
Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/15/2010 11:46 AM CST
What is the likelihood of Dwarves being invited to the Highman Games next year? I have no benchmark as this is the first time I have attended an event like this... indeed the first time that dwarves have been invited. However, I thought it went well.. well enough for a second bit of a very enjoyable cherry.

Who do we need to petition, cojole, harrass, or just lie with? (I nominate Frorin to undertake all these tasks on behalf of all dwarves if it helps! )

Seriously though...is it a possibility?

Bremerial - bar fly third class!

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/16/2010 08:08 PM CST
Scribble petition... check
Flapjaw n' cojole.... check
Rablerouse n' harrass... check
lie wi..what who Wait ah second!

Is there ale involved?

-Frorin
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/16/2010 11:25 PM CST
This is the sole reason I recomend the dwarves to pull off a summer version of the games of Teras Isle (Only because there's more lava than in Zul Logoth!)

Trallihn, and the man behind the shield slalom missing dwarf.
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/17/2010 06:21 AM CST
I hope the games make a reappearance some time.

RL meant I only got to compete in the caber toss. While it is fun being able to use my unique title to proclaim myself as one of the biggest tossers in the lands, I only got to try out the slalom once, and the others were not open while I was able to be about.
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/17/2010 02:26 PM CST
I'm hoping the games make an appearance next year. I wasn't able to attend due to two major projects happening on the same weekend.

So.. yeah.. 5011, man. Do it.

JC
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/24/2010 10:42 AM CST
<<RL meant I only got to compete in the caber toss. While it is fun being able to use my unique title to proclaim myself as one of the biggest tossers in the lands...

<<Rathboner

ROFLMAO
Soooooooooo funny. No further comment needed except to say, I won't be using my tossing title anytime soon lest I give verbal amunition to my foe. ha-ha

Bremerial - Bar Fly, 3rd Class [Highman Games 5010]

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/24/2010 10:54 AM CST
<<Scribble petition... check
<<Flapjaw n' cojole.... check
<<Rablerouse n' harrass... check
<<lie wi..what who Wait ah second!

<<Is there ale involved?

<<-Frorin

chuckle
That's our frorin. Anything for the cause!

<<Trallihn, and the man behind the shield slalom missing dwarf.

We'd need to make sure the drinking game was after the shield slalom. Can you imagine how combustable a dwarf would be on the lava flow if it was the other way around!!!? blink

<<So.. yeah.. 5011, man. Do it.

<<Aanton

Next year organise yeself better Aanton. Say pooh to any projects and Yes to the drinking game! I hope to drink you under the table if we get another shot (pun intended) at the games!

Seriously though, I know where you're coming from. I had the double whammy of some serious audits the week of the games and a timezone of EST +5. Surviving a week of 3 hours sleep on average is no fun. Lets just say that Brazil's coffee growers probably made a profit that week!

-
-

Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 02/28/2010 09:45 AM CST
Considering the dwindling population of GS, I can't see any reason not to come up with a reasonable plot that results in ALL races participating in the games.

Kerl
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/01/2010 01:08 PM CST
>>Considering the dwindling population of GS, I can't see any reason not to come up with a reasonable plot that results in ALL races participating in the games.

Then have the same events at another festival. I'd much rather do that, then open up the one giantkin related event/document/whatever that I've seen since I started playing.

Misun quietly says, "Rlgrlgrlgrlg."

Speaking thoughtfully to a large can etched with the words "Spinner Bait", Kernn murmurs, "So much... power..."
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/02/2010 07:43 AM CST
<<Then have the same events at another festival. I'd much rather do that, then open up the one giantkin related event/document/whatever that I've seen since I started playing.

I'd tend to agree. Even though I am a dwarf who enjoyed the last games and who would dearly love to see our race invited again in 5011, I would rather see other races invited on a race by race, year by year basis, than see the games open up to all races every year.

-
-

Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/02/2010 08:25 AM CST
I think a well thought out, logical, vehicle for roleplay can be the reason for inviting all races. That doesn't mean you can't have a special category for giantkin or something. It just means there aren't that many of us, and participation would be better if everyone was invited rather than told, "yeah, you can come but nothing you do will count".

Kerl
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/02/2010 02:20 PM CST
>>I think a well thought out, logical, vehicle for roleplay can be the reason for inviting all races. That doesn't mean you can't have a special category for giantkin or something. It just means there aren't that many of us, and participation would be better if everyone was invited rather than told, "yeah, you can come but nothing you do will count".

Sure thing. As soon as there is a giantkin village (a decent one) and the equivalent amount of documentation for giantkin, I'm all for good RP reason to open up the games.

As it is, the festival is really the ONLY giant related event,update, document, etc that has been released in the past 10 years. If you wanted to compete, roll up a giantkin character.

Speaking thoughtfully to a large can etched with the words "Spinner Bait", Kernn murmurs, "So much... power..."
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/18/2010 10:12 AM CDT
Sure thing. As soon as there is a giantkin village (a decent one) and the equivalent amount of documentation for giantkin, I'm all for good RP reason to open up the games.

Sure thing. As soon as there is a dark elven city (a decent one) and the equivalent amount of benefits in that city as penalties everywhere else. I'm personally hoping the games are never run again and an event that encompasses all races is run instead next year. That or an event that singles out two different races because a yearly giantman/dwarf favoritism event while we ignore all the other races would be lame.

Keith/Kithus aka "Thumper"

Keith's Emoticons:
;) Joke or sarcasm
=P Just razzin you a little
>=( Grr, I'm all fake mad
=,( You made me pretend sad
0=) Expecting an e-mail from Izzea
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/18/2010 11:17 AM CDT
>Sure thing. As soon as there is a dark elven city (a decent one) and the equivalent amount of benefits in that city as penalties everywhere else. I'm personally hoping the games are never run again and an event that encompasses all races is run instead next year. That or an event that singles out two different races because a yearly giantman/dwarf favoritism event while we ignore all the other races would be lame.

The games was an appropriate cultural event for dark elves.

Dark elves are furtunate to be treated in the appropriate cultural way nearly everywhere. The whole point of being a dark elf is that everyone hates you. The place where dark elves are actually liked is right where it is supposed to be: outside the game. Having somewhere that dark elves are liked in the game breaks the balance of the race: power in exchange for being hated.
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/18/2010 05:35 PM CDT
>>KEEFA's post

I don't recall the exact date, but I believe all elven documents were redone around the GS4 date. Also, I'd rather not see this festival return, ever, than see it return and open to everyone. There is so little for giantkin culture, by comparison, taking this away would be a significant loss. Or, run a cultural event for each race once every N years, until it cycles back to the giantkin festival.

Actually, the festival was 'sort of' open to everyone. There was nothing stopping you from going and playing any of the games, at any time. You were just unable to compete in the official scoring.

Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/20/2010 11:22 AM CDT
>> KEEFA's post

I'm also in the camp that I hope these games are never run again. In fact, I would prefer to see absolutely no race "only" events used in the future. I understand the concept quite clearly: by "limiting" role play (and participation) the idea is that you expand the role playing by making it feel "real."

Unfortunately, I find the exact opposite is true. You just have a large group of people that simply don't even care about this event which I'm sure the staff worked very hard on.

A culture game involving every race would have been much more fun. (In fact, we were even give the option to allow all races to participate in Platinum, but it was voted down by the players. So in a way, I suppose the players have spoken)

I'm sure everyone that could officially enter had a blast, and even some that couldn't, but in the end, I do agree with Keith, role play should encourage INCLUSION, not lines in the sand. But what do I know?

Jason/Vaein/Ketum
Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 03/23/2010 09:54 PM CDT
I disagree. I think it was a very good way to handle the idea of racially restricted events, and I enjoyed it all around even though I couldn't officially compete. My only suggestion would be 2 leaderboards per event, so Laphrael's dominance over the weaker, non-rogue, non-awesome competitors could have been more visible.

-Keleborrn.
Highman Games 5010 - Written Stories 04/28/2010 11:53 AM CDT
Those attending the closing ceremonies would have heard the great stories in the story telling contest. However there were some stories submitted in writing prior to the event.

We did have a reading of the winning story by Guarrin, but any chance the silver and bronze winner's stories - Tebon and Ariella.

I think there was some suggestion that they might be published but I've not seen anything. Any chance of seeing them?

-
-
-

Re: Highman Games - Dwarven invitation 5011? 12/18/2010 01:17 AM CST
I'd love to see the Games return this coming year. Any chance?

Roblar's player
Claidhmores & Platemail (Highman Games) 05/12/2011 04:05 AM CDT
Blast from the past... but...

If you were owed a platemail or claidhmore prize as a win from the Highman Games (you'd know if you were, since you chose it), please get in touch with me at my play.net addy (and please mention your character name so I know who you are and can find you in my handy dandy list.)

~Kaikala