Games! 02/01/2010 06:47 PM CST
Arm wrasslin and drinkin! Tug o war!
But somethin seems to be missing...
Ya know what games missin?
Count Trallihn's fleas... fun for all ages!
Then again between them breeding and me squishing and/or eating'em not much of a fair game....

All the more reason for it!

Trallihn, and the man behind the dwarf who is thouroughly looking forward to shield slaloming his way to a big bottle of whisky!

PS Do we get to slalom on our own shields?
Re: Games! 02/01/2010 07:57 PM CST
>PS Do we get to slalom on our own shields?

Shields will be priovided, the course is much too destructive to use your own.
Re: Games! 02/01/2010 08:42 PM CST
What about javelins?

<nudge's Smite>

-farmer

That's just what we want, criss-crossing furrows all over the town streets from someone wandering through with their animated plow super buddy.
-Strath

Re: Games! 02/01/2010 08:49 PM CST
>PS Do we get to slalom on our own shields?

>>Shields will be priovided, the course is much too destructive to use your own.

Plus, shields can get lost on the slopes, and, if you find a stray shield while you're sliding down (having lost your own), you can grab up whatever you find. If we did this with personal shields, we don't think you all would like it much. ;)

By the way, empaths and clerics are going to LOVE us.

~Talisker
Re: Games! 02/01/2010 09:29 PM CST
>>By the way, empaths and clerics are going to LOVE us.

Oh ya, the shield slalom is amazingly dangerous. Smite really did a great job on this one!

Leonric
Re: Games! 02/02/2010 04:37 PM CST
>>Shields will be priovided, the course is much too destructive to use your own.

Smite ?? And how long have you been back among us?
Re: Games! 02/02/2010 04:39 PM CST
We've kept him locked in his room (don't worry, he likes it, he actually...really, really likes it) for awhile now.

Itzel

Team Plat
Forest Gnome Guru
Ta'Illistim Guru

Speaking to Cirath, Nixxi exclaims, "Pet her and say she's pretty! It is the only way we will survive the night!"
Re: Games! 02/02/2010 05:15 PM CST
>We've kept him locked in his room (don't worry, he likes it, he actually...really, really likes it) for awhile now.

He gnaws his way out from time to time, but he seems much more comfortable staying in Dev.

~Talisker
Herbs Now Available at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 03:48 PM CST
A basket of herbs can now be found in the Gathering place at the center of the festival grounds. The young girl who tends the basket will be happy to sell you all the herbs you need. The room is also a node, so it's a good place for empaths and clerics to rest.

~Talisker
Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 03:55 PM CST
This afternoon, work was completed on the slalom slopes. Keffan has unlocked the south gate which leads to the slopes, and several people have already given the slalom a try!

NOTE: This is an extremely dangerous sport that may result in death. Be sure to ASK GERTL ABOUT OBSTACLEs to find out the best way to avoid injuries. Also, if you happen to lose your shield, keep your eyes open as it may catch up to you and you might be able to grab it again! If something untoward should happen, resulting in death, gnomes will carry you to the bottom of the hill where Gertl is found. If no healers or empaths arrive to care for you, Gertl has been trained to take care of your corpse.

Good luck!

~Talisker

P.S. -- I give this an addiction rating of 9.5 on a scale of 10, with 10 being the highest number. Don't say we didn't warn you!
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 04:19 PM CST
You also see a medium smooth shield and some massive iron basket torches.
Obvious paths: none

>get shi
Your descent down the mountainside really takes precedence right now.
>get shield
>get shield

>report When trying to get a shield on the course, I get the "Your descent down the mountainside really takes precedence right now" message, instead of getting the shield.

For whatever reason, unlike another run when I lost my shield, I could not get a shield in a room this run.

~Eugenides, The Last

Countless incarnations of Eugenides begin to fill the marketplace, one by one erupting into flame.

(OOC) Belnia's player whispers, "KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!!!!!"
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 04:39 PM CST
>For whatever reason, unlike another run when I lost my shield, I could not get a shield in a room this run.

The shield can pass you, and you can pass the shield. You may see it briefly, but if you don't catch it before you or it move on, that's the message you'll get. I've been watching and, as long as the person is still in the room with the shield, they've been able to retrieve it.

Let us know if you continue to have difficulty, but, from what I can tell, it's working.

~Talisker
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 04:57 PM CST
Any particular reason why I can't use magic where the bodies end up? Can't exactly heal people if I can't use my spells.

Gretchen

Meeting Nilandia: http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Nilandia
Nilandia's GS4 Info Repository: http://www.nilandia.com
AIM: Lady Nilandia
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 05:16 PM CST
>Any particular reason why I can't use magic where the bodies end up? Can't exactly heal people if I can't use my spells.

I'll fix that for you.

~Talisker
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 05:35 PM CST
But everybody else is outta luck! Bwahaha.

-Talisker?
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 06:14 PM CST
>I've been watching and, as long as the person is still in the room with the shield, they've been able to retrieve it.

>get shi
You can't quite reach the large waxed shield.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
>get shi
>get shi
>get shi
>get shi
>get shi
>
>get shi

I'm thinking if you're too injured, you can't get it either?

~Eugenides, The Last

Countless incarnations of Eugenides begin to fill the marketplace, one by one erupting into flame.

(OOC) Belnia's player whispers, "KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!!!!!"
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 06:23 PM CST
>I'm thinking if you're too injured, you can't get it either?

Yep. If you're too injured, it'll say you can't quite reach it.

~Talisker
Re: Shield Slalom Opens at Highman Games! 02/04/2010 06:28 PM CST

Oh, just so you know, if there's someone else on the course who's lost a shield, you can steal theirs (and vice versa), if it comes into your room! ; )

~Talisker
Verdict on Games! 02/08/2010 12:54 PM CST
Ok I know that the games are not quite over yet. I won't be able to attend the story telling I'm afraid [could someone record that for me please?] but will be at the closing ceremonies, the Huntress willing. But i'd just like to comment on the games.

I want to thank the Highmen for extending the invitation to dwarves. The Huntress bless the Sunfist Pact I say! I have not been able to attend all events, due to other committments alas. However I have rarely laughed so hard, played so enthusiastically, been cheered on by so many people, cheered so many people myself or left a place with such a sense of well being.

I have made more new friends - and renewed more old friendships - at these games than I have at any other event EVER!

My compliments to the organisers who, like swans, appeared for the most part to glide effortlessly on the water despite, no doubt, the frantic movement of legs beneath to keep everything moving.

I think my conversation with Rendena below sums it up for me. Thanks all and see you at the closing ceremonies!
<<(ooc enjoyed this so much I am waking up at 1am GMT to ensure I don't miss this. Shhhh may not make it to work tomorrow!! :o)

Speaking softly to Rendena, you exclaim, "Have enjoyed these games enormously!"
Rendena softly says, "Me too."
Speaking softly to Rendena, you say, "Good ale, good competitions, good spirit, and good company."
You softly say, "What more can a dwarf ask fer."
You grin.
You softly say, "Oh perhaps more ale."

Bremerial

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm
Re: Verdict on Games! 02/08/2010 02:27 PM CST
Lots of fun. Thanks.
Re: Verdict on Games! 02/08/2010 02:31 PM CST
Also want to repeat how nicely played the NPCs have been.

A nice amount of pepper. Some know how to get along, while others seem to want to disparage the non-giants/dwarves in attendance to no end.

A very nice event, hope more like it happen.

-E
Re: Verdict on Games! 02/08/2010 02:48 PM CST
This has been great fun attending. As a human it's been great to watch all the official games and engaging in some fun with my friends. My only disappointment was not being able to watch the Hammer Throw competition but it may have been for the best I wasn't there given that people die around me and Hammer Throw. :P

I can't wait until tonight for the closing ceremonies. I've been having so much fun.

The Hammer Slayer

"Nothing but 'Haven' itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."