(no subject) 01/17/2015 02:23 AM CST
* What were some things you liked about the entire storyline, Cross into Shadows, and why?
Oh, and of course I loved when Goat got to be the center of attention for a minute, heh :-)
Re: (no subject) 01/17/2015 05:39 AM CST
>Oh, and of course I loved when Goat got to be the center of attention for a minute, heh :-)

I loved that too! Goat's scrying was a really cool glimpse into what Stone might be up to, and it was wonderful to get that peek.

Your comment also brings up another thing I wanted to add to the "Things I Love" column -- GM interaction with so many players on such a personal scale. I can think of so many events, some of them player-originated and others started by GM-run characters, that gave characters their moment in the spotlight. No one felt particularly favored for interaction, and if it were a movie, the cast list would be gargantuan. When I think about all the communion attempts that were answered in some way, all the rituals that actually worked, all the small-scale stuff that affected the course of the greater story arc, it's astonishing how hands-on you have been -- and how ingenious some players can be.

Prior to this event, the most impact Lylia had ever had on a story directly was when the Vvrael spirited her away into a soul-sucking vortex and Lorminstra spoke to her, and that was largely important as a proof of concept that people could get Vvrael-napped and not lose their souls. (Well, it was important to my character too; she was considering leaving Voln before it, and that event's one of the reasons she's still with the monastery, so thank you, Lorminstra!) In this, I feel my character's made a difference -- but more meaningfully, I feel as though every character has made a difference. That's the lasting effect of the larger story for me. Knowing who Rozy is, understanding why Ephya was so passionate about maintaining the town's defenses, seeing how devoutly Hadya serves Luukos, feeling horrified at Phever's fate yet impressed by her dignity throughout it, wanting to help Aiska in her miserable shadow-touched state, discovering more about Raelee as she lost and regained her magic, coming to terms with Rhayveign not as a familiar friendly face but as a host organism, watching Silvean defy the shadows' depredations as parlor tricks, so many more player interactions large and small that I could list -- all that will last long after I've reached cap or upgraded my gear or anything else I could gain in this game. It's what makes it compelling.

A spotlight that picked out so many people for their time on stage is definitely something to love. Of course I love it when Lylia's the focus of attention, but you (by which I mean all the involved GMs, not just Kenstrom) made me love watching other people get their turn too. I'm glad I play this game with so many creative people, GMs and players alike.
Re: (no subject) 01/20/2015 09:05 AM CST
>>A spotlight that picked out so many people for their time on stage is definitely something to love. Of course I love it when Lylia's the focus of attention, but you (by which I mean all the involved GMs, not just Kenstrom) made me love watching other people get their turn too. I'm glad I play this game with so many creative people, GMs and players alike.

These were some of my favorite moments, when things like this happened. No matter how small or involved. It's what also kept things fresh for me, because I felt like I was in for the ride too, not always knowing how players would react, etc. It's these things I intend to try to duplicate to an even greater number going forward. I'm going to try to touch as many people as I can! Wait...that sounds bad...

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru