Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/12/2015 06:33 PM CST
Cross into Shadows – That’s a Wrap!

So where do I begin? Cross into Shadows was the culmination of a little over four years of events in the making, starting back in September of 2010. The first few events had as many participants as I do fingers on one hand, and the finale of the saga reached well over 120 people. It’s been one heck of a ride, full of lots late nights, only a few lows, and lots of highs. So first and foremost, as always, I want to thank you the players. From the beginning to the end, you guys made it worth it. I know a few folks didn’t care for the saga, but something tells me nothing I do ever will go on the top of their list. As for the rest, actions speak louder than words. Your constant attendance and participation were always rewarding, and each night I was surprised to see how events would be reacted too, what you’d do with your characters, and how that might shape the story as it moves forward. The saga gave me a lot of flexibility to adjust it as needed based on the actions of players, and for me that is what made it truly refreshing and enjoyable, because I felt like I was just as curious as the rest of you, on what would happen next. So thanks for all of your time and I hope the saga left you with a lot of good memories, and I hope the community remains stronger because of it. In addition, thank you for my memories from it as well. That said, don’t go far. The saga and theme of the Shadows may be gone, but in the wake of the storyline there have been a number of threads left, each one as tantalizing as the next. So never stop buying deeds.

Secondly, Cross into Shadows was able to happen the way it did in no small part because of the awesome GameMasters there to help it along the way. I am eternally grateful and appreciative of a staff that is very helpful and patient, and feels just as passionate about the game, which allows them to go above and beyond their own duties to help out. So instead of just rattling a bunch of GM names and throwing their unknown contributions into obscurity, I’d rather call them out. If I forget someone, hopefully they’ll forgive me, I’m still catching up on 14 months of little sleep, hah. I also think it’s important for people to understand the amount of work and support, from a lot of people, that goes into storylines, especially ones of this scale.

I want to thank GM’s Haliste, Marstreforn, Qortaz, Xayle, Mazreth,Valyrka, Mikos, and Lydil for their help with NPC’s all along the way. Their assistance in this area is priceless and they helped provide a lot of flavor to the storyline and opened up a lot more opportunities for the players to get involved. I want to thank GM Scribes for always letting me ask advice or bounce off ideas about all things imperial and humans. The man has a vast amount of knowledge, and I think we should harvest his brain when he leaves his mortal coil, hah. I want to thank GM’s Haliste and Xayle again for their help in designing many of the temporary areas used at different parts of the storyline, from Wyrdeep to the Shadow Realm and more, it helped out tons and the way they can paint a room is amazing. I also want to thank GM’s Isten, Kaikala, Tamuz and Aulis for all of their hard QC work. With over seven hundred rooms during this storyline alone, not counting the years before, their assistance has been extremely crucial and I’m tremendously grateful for it. I want to also thank GM’s Wyrom, Keios, Vanah, Haliste and Estild for their amazing coding skills and script knowledge. Those five helped out with a lot of things, from new scripts to fixing old scripts, which allowed for great things like airship travel, custom alchemy items, new krolvin commands, special scripts for Elithain, and Althedeus and Madelyne, and more. They went above and beyond, and really made a difference where it was needed. There’s a number of things in the big scheme of it all that require many approvals, and these are all critical, from items to titles to overall storyline development, so I’m thankful for all of the constant support and patience from GM’s Galene, Wyrom, Izzea, Sleken, Isten and Mestys, and I’m sorry if I ever added any grey hairs, hehe. I also want to thank Solomon for allowing Cross into Shadows to secure itself some very cool artwork and kick off with a returning player promotion.

I feel like I’m forgetting something or someone, but I’ll blame it on the exhaustion. Thanks again everyone and I hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did. I won’t be around much for the next week and a half, but then I’ll start dabbling a bit and the fallout and consequences, good and bad from Shadows, can slowly begin. My goal moving forward is to establish storylines and events with less of a “beginning” and “end” in mind, which can often stifle the story, especially in terms of finales feeling scripted. I’d prefer to try to carry out more ongoing developments, which many may all be tied together, but it hopefully finds that balance in giving incentive to be around and get involved, but also not make it impossible for people to hop in at any day or month and get connected.

Now go buy deeds, because it’s a new year, and my death of player characters counter just got set back to zero.

-GM Kenstrom-
Waylayer of Wehnimer's Landing
Human Guru
Giantmen Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/12/2015 06:50 PM CST
Thanks Kenstrom and everyone else. The incredible amount of love and work that pours into our game from GMs and players alike is unparalleled.

It's been a crazy awesome ride. I don't know how to illustrate it properly, but its been an amazing eighteen months since I returned to this wonderful game and community.

Thanks for the memories, and here's to more.

Words can't seem to describe it, so just...thanks.

-The mind behind Rowmi's eyes.
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/12/2015 07:04 PM CST
>So first and foremost, as always, I want to thank you the players. From the beginning to the end, you guys made it worth it. I know a few folks didn’t care for the saga, but something tells me nothing I do ever will go on the top of their list.

I always considered myself somewhat mid-line with involvement. Some people were complaining that things got too complicated, and I didn't strictly disagree about that; however, I wouldn't really make it a complaint from my own mouth. There were lots of angles and so much complexity; so a lot of the time, I only got involved in minor aspects of different stories that interested me. It would be unrealistic for me to expect all aspects of the story-line intrigued my main character with his rather quirky personality, as well as other scheduling and timing issues abound (from my own end, mostly).

I think that aspect of the story-line speaks speaks very strongly for it. Although there were a lot of die-hard players who were involved with everything as much as possible, I wager to be the majority of player involvement was from dabblers like me, who tried to make an appearance at times of interest to a given character, and stayed out of the way in other situations.

No matter what, even speaking as someone with only minor involvement here and there, I think the story-line was extremely successful in a myriad of ways.

>Kayse scrambles to avoid being sucked into the void!
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/12/2015 07:31 PM CST

From what i can see in the beginning i say most were dabblers as you put it but this year i think the majority was full time into the story.
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/12/2015 10:42 PM CST
Kenstrom, and company.

A brief response.

I am a quest hog. I make no apologies for it. I rarely read short stories. I read epic novels, door stoppers. I rarely bother with a fantasy fiction story unless there's another one in the series. My belief is that epic, world-impacting events are the way to craft and mold the character, not hunting Illoke Bowels or running messages, or making iron - so, I have always chased after quests, every single chance I got.

Now, I was gone for five years, so ... you know, the second GSS was the "big one" in my mind, the one that had the most impact on my RP and character(s) development. And, in my mind, it really set the bar for interactive epic storylines - and truly, it was pretty fantastic, way back then.

Mind you, I do not believe that every storyline has to be so complex and "epic" and "global" - the storyline with Hagga, for instance, was fun and interesting, and it was locally focused, as I recall.

Now, when I wasn't playing, I browsed the forums on occasion. Once in awhile. I browsed for two things and two things only, with the occasional foray into the RANGER folder. One was improvements to THROWN mechanics. The other was epic storylines. And it was probably in November or December of 2013 that the "Cross Into Shadows" announcements and such caught my eye, so that I began to check the forums (as a guest) more frequently, like every week or two. By March, although I had some difficult RL circumstances to contend with, the curiosity (and the mention of Wyrdeep) got the best of me, and I had to start playing again, so I begged, borrowed and stole to open up the old accounts and see what was what. Just to see what was going on. Just to stick my toe in the water, because, the thing that I always appreciated about GS was the ability that ONE character can make some kind of difference - this is not something that can be found in WoW or .. anywhere else, really, worth noting. I didn't have any expectations about .. anything, really.. I just wanted to feel that buzz again, if you follow.

Suffice to say, I've written more fiction in the past 9 months than I'd written in the 2-3 years prior. That the thing I loved so much about GemStone, the immersion, the interaction, the roleplay, the creativity from staff and players alike, the intellectual challenge of complex and difficult scenarios, was not only present, due to this storyline, but ... incredibly, impossibly, SO MUCH BETTER, than anything that I'd ever experienced for more than a moment or two, in the past. This was perpetual, lasting, residual - the things you hope, wish, want, when you're putting your heart, soul, guts, sleepless nights, into your fictional character, when you're trying to write a story about Koar knows what or when or why.

I've begun to babble. Sorry. WINE. ;-)

My point is simply this. You should be proud. You should be exhausted. If this is the nature of GemStone IV, from here on out, you have set a bar so high that none of your competitors could hope to touch. This is truly a tabletop campaign brought to virtual reality. The lengths and creativity and flexibility that I have seen in the past 10 months rivals anything I've seen in my X years experience with the game.

On one hand, I thank you. On the other, this is your selling point. To me. I can't always promise that my RL circumstances will permit me to throw money at you, the way I'm doing now, but I promise you that every interaction, good or bad, every effort, has been deeply appreciated, and won't be easily forgotten, and that because of that love and effort that you obviously put into this, you will retain my loyalty as much as I am able.

Thank you for this. Keep up the good work. Whatever you're doing, however you're doing it, this is - to me - exactly what this game does better than anyone else on the internet.

Respectfully,

~ Bill, Coyote.

The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.
~ Voltaire
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 09:49 AM CST

Whew.

That was a little like work.

But, seriously, I wanted to thank Kenstrom for letting me play in his sandbox for a while. I had a ball. I'd also like to thank all the players, who put in so many hours of RP and made it an exciting time to be a GM NPC. You guys are awesome.

I so enjoyed torturing you all.

<3

~ X.
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 10:25 AM CST
It was an absolute pleasure to provide the .001% of support I did for this storyline and even more pleasure watching it unfold and everyone's excitement over it. This was a storyline in abstract that I always dreamed of pulling off but never got around to doing so. Yes, I'm claiming Kenstrom as my son and have now lived vicariously through him. Now that this is over, ladies, we can discuss dowries. The starting bid is three meowmeowbeans.

GM Scribes
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 10:40 AM CST
Thanks to everyone - players and GMs - for everything Shadows. I had so much fun developing these characters, and being able to take out my frustrations on you guys--- I mean, brush up on my invading skills. I still need to practice more.

I was really able to feed my creative side in ways I'd only imagined, and I had SO.MUCH.FUN. I can't wait for the next one! (Too soon??)

I'm still trying to catch up on everything. Thanks for your efforts and dedication, Kenstrom!

~ Haliste ~
The Forest Gnome of Silverwood Manor
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 12:51 PM CST
Also kinda want to chime in with some thanks. These last few months of CIS were basically my introduction to GS and its community, and holy smokes, what an introduction it was. I would not have stayed as long as I have without this storyline as an anchor.

Big props to Kenstrom for sticking with this thing for so long and seeing it through. And for being a genuinely kind, approachable, and patient guy through it all - in the face of our silly hangups and egos, our walls and walls of screen spam, and our weird emails and forum posts and IMs and god knows what else. Your stamina is impeccable, and the level of individual attention you gave to each of us is staggering. Well done, sir.

To Xayle, who gave me my first moment of story spotlight, and who generally appears to occupy a similar wavelength to mine. You're one of the good ones and I may in fact just love you forever.

To the other GMs who contributed ways both big and small - please accept a sincere apology for my inability to address you all individually, but I'm unfortunately not one of those players who can remember what GM pilots which NPC and who paints or codes or what have you. By all appearances, you are a dedicated and attentive bunch. Thank you for your hard work.

And, of course, to a few treasured players. To Puptilian and Stormyrain, who encouraged me to get involved in the first place (and making sure I stuck with it); to Raelee for bringing up the whole squire idea, to Riend for taking the ball and running with it, and to Bristenn for knocking it out of the park; to Rowmi and Glyhne for enthusiastically going along with all of my stupid ideas; to Lylia and Rekarth for essentially setting the example to follow; and to Svardin and Drakes Vanguard, without whom I might not have logged in that second time - no matter where story takes me, I'll always invent some flimsy excuse to remain a Drake.

Thank you all for a wonderful year, and looking forward to seeing you all in-game.

[LNet]-GSIV:Rhaz: "Aiska needs to come with a warning label"
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 01:16 PM CST

Aiska, thank you for being the shining light and proof to all naysayers that you are never to new a player, to young a character, or to late to a story to get involved. You are the perfect example that everyone can be involved and add to the story. I am glad to see that you ran with it all and had a wonderful experience for it. It is cases like yours that i hope inspires others that are timid to get more involved.

Pup's player
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 02:14 PM CST
I love how everything ended up tied together. It took quite a bit of collaboration between both GMs and players to see how things played out over the years. Decisions players made actually had a fairly large impact on certain events.

From the first half of this epic tale, when The Arcane Eyes first arrived in Wehnimer's Landing to track down the first urnon golem, to Walkar's entire history unfolding and becoming mayor and eventually meeting an honorable death, to how Grevisth offered Barnom the power to become a lich in River's Rest, to a splintered faction of The Arcane Eyes trying to take over Icemule Trace and free a colossal elemental being in an attempt to seek Althedeus' favor, to Vleg being caught in Talador and then turned into one of Raznel's minions, to the war with Talador and The Rooks involvement, to the final stages where locations across The Empire were attacked by Elithain's minions, and then the finale. I believe there was a crossover storyline in the EN as well!

While some of these characters are now gone, and will never return...

Some remain and their stories will continue.

-Marstreforn-
Icemule Trace Guru
Halfling Guru
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 02:25 PM CST
<While some of these characters are now gone, and will never return...

<Some remain and their stories will continue.

<-Marstreforn-

And I'm sure there will be new characters, with new levels of cruelty and nefariousness (is that even a word?).

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 02:44 PM CST
I've written, erased, and re-written this several times so I'm going to forget that and just word vomit on this post and go with it.

I have played GS off and on (mostly on) for almost 19 years (eeks). I was gone for a good chunk of time and came back a year ago this month because GS is always my soft spot to land when life gets crazy and I need something to take my mind off of it. I came back to find that most of the people I knew before were gone--but I was lucky enough to meet and form friendships with a few and get a brief introduction into CiS. That has kept me here for a year and if this is the future of GS and storylines, I will be here for as long as I can.

Kenstrom: the depth and love that you put into this storyline is incredible. The way you were able to take into consideration SO many different characters and deviate from the 'chosen few' standard earns you HUGE kudos. Your willingness to bend and let our characters make a difference in the way the story unfolded has been by and far the neatest damned thing I have seen in GS, ever. I expected more of the same when I learned about this storyline and I got SO MUCH MORE.

Haliste, Mars, Qortaz, Xayle, Mazreth, Valyrka, Mikos, Lydil et al--your willingness to jump into this storyline and assist is also incredible and goes to show what a fantastic staff we have. You are all twisted, and I love it.

I have never been involved in a storyline to the degree that CiS allowed me to be. I was very much on the outside of the Terate saga back in the day, and GSS is just a distant memory for me and my girl. Until now I didn't think it would be possible to make so many of us feel important, and truly a part of, the events going on in the world around us.

CiS has, by and large, changed my character more than almost anything else has; but not with the NPC driven events. CiS has changed her because of the incredible RP that occurred during the down times, the off times, between players.

Thank you Radeek, for convincing Stormyrain to step up and helping her be a part of things. Sarvia and Ravashaak for listening to her, and being willing to share knowledge, ideas, and friendship. Sarvia again, for mentoring Stormyrain. Phever for letting Stormy's hairbrained idea go forward with her and Radeek. Kiske, Pup, Maags and Rtune for the friendship and support. Altheorn for dealing with my insane bardess. Bekke for allowing me to be a part of one of the coolest things I've seen yet as Bekke transitioned into Magi...Aiska for reminding me how important it is to take the time to interact with new characters--and how much fun that can be...and to all those who dealt with Stormy's stubborn ways without putting a sword or arrow through her--thank you! thank you! thank you!

So much fun, you guys, I hope it doesn't end.

Kenstrom for Mayor! (Or something)

~Nichoel, the Muse.

Nature of rebellion, means to an end. Sometimes men are tempted by money and power and they forget what end they're serving. ~Brendan Roarke, SOA Irish King

AIM: LdyStrmyRn
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 02:53 PM CST

>>To Xayle, who gave me my first moment of story spotlight, and who generally appears to occupy a similar wavelength to mine. You're one of the good ones and I may in fact just love you forever.

<3

You were one of the funnest evar to torment. Like, seriously. I giggled. Dementedly. Several times.

Contrary to popular belief, that's not something I do regularly.

~ X.
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 02:54 PM CST
<Thank you Radeek, for convincing Stormyrain to step up and helping her be a part of things.

You're very welcome Nichoel, although I did little more than point out to you that it could be done, it was you and your interaction with other players that put Stormy where she is. Well done!

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 04:59 PM CST
My turn.

Thanks.

This whole thing was awesome.

I was only really involved in this whole mess starting about a year ago. I think the involvement of Talador and the promose of some sweet, sweet Imperial action inspired me to sneak up from Solhaven and see what was going on. I stayed.

There were so many little fun moments that I couldn't possibly thank all of the GMs for individually, because I know I'd forget something or someone. As some other people have also said, this storyline has definitely changed my character forever. I think that really speaks to the depth and quality of storytelling that happened - that it could have such a giant, lasting impact on so many of us. I can't think of another storyline if felt so specifically personal for each of us. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for Kenstrom and the other GMs to keep all of our personal stories and personal details straight amongst the big picture... and using them masterfully too.

You created a crisis of confidence for Raelee. Deep inside, she's questioning whole entire aspects of her life - about what's truly important. So when I say thank you for leaving my character in a place where she's in desperate need of a good therapist - I mean it.

>to Raelee for bringing up the whole squire idea

That's SO not my fault!

But on that note... thank you to Bristenn for STILL putting up with Raelee after all of these years. Thank you to Aiska for driving Raelee crazy. Thank you to Rowmi for maybe, MAYBE giving Raelee her first new friend in a long time. (Don't ask her though, she'll deny it.) And thank you to everyone else too. You've all been the best.

Lastly, Owly loves you all and would like to thank you for the snacks.

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 05:11 PM CST
Fun Fun Fun...that's what I had...and then I had more fun. As Raelee's driver stated...crisis of confidence, I think a LOT of us had that at least once during this saga. We were given opportunities to grow our characters by leaps and bounds through the choices we made. Kenstrom was wicked, I mean, nice enough, to pick up on those choices and adapt his story-line and NPC's to them.

There's a lot to be said for this storyline, too much for me to post really, I have so much in my head, so I think I'll just give a hearty "Well Done" and a very heartfelt "Thank You" to everyone involved, GM's and players alike. I had a great time and that's only because of all of you. Thank You.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/13/2015 06:49 PM CST

Thank you to all the GMs and Kenstrom for your hard work on this epic story. It was a rollercoaster of fine and no so fine moments. It was a character defining story for so many and so much was brought to life.
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/14/2015 11:23 AM CST
Lastly, Owly loves you all and would like to thank you for the snacks.

Owly is the best.. and most well fed of all of us :) I still thinks he prefers muffins over tarts!

You swing a silver-edged black veil iron katana at Sevynne!

* Sevynne drops dead at your feet!
* Sevynne just bit the dust!
Re: Cross into Shadows - That's a Wrap! 01/14/2015 06:41 PM CST
I will make this very simple and short. Thank you to all the GM's involved and to the players who helped enhance the story (both friend and foe alike). I won't go into anything mushy or long winded but some of you know what this has meant to my character, your support, friendship and loyalty has meant a great deal. I would however like to publicly thank Ravashaak and his player for well.. everything. Although I withdrew Sarvia from the story toward the end, Rav's presence and support during the entire experience was invaluable to myself and to Sarvia. And to Kenstrom for breathing life into an idea I thought long dead.

-that person behind that other person