Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/23/2018 09:03 PM CDT
Hi All,

I am looking for opinions on what the value of a sorcerer's uncommon rune teaching would be worth. I know it can be highly subjective but I was hoping someone knows of such a transaction that I could use as a basis.

I was looking to learn the Imp Grik'tyr-imp rune. I have only gotten 1 answer from all my asking and that is one person would never consider selling their lesson and only give it to a worthy sorcerer. Since my character doesn't know this character in the game and is doubtful to run into them I don't think I'll be qualifying as that deserving sorcerer.

Anyways everyone's opinion is welcome!
Re: Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/23/2018 10:58 PM CDT
<Anyways everyone's opinion is welcome!>

Very well:

While the runes are occasionally raffled off, most of them can be learned for free just by showing up to a GM run event and choosing between two or three when asked (I believe there was at least one where the imp rune was taught). As such, my exact thoughts about anyone that would charge to teach them cannot be posted here... so it'll have suffice to say they bring little good to GS.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/24/2018 09:26 AM CDT
Before 2015, knowledge of uncommon runes was more valuable than it is today. Prior to 2015 you had to use a runestone with each cast, and most people used valence runestones that were commonly known. If you wanted a specific demon type from a valance and did not have a runestone for that demon type, then you had to keep casting until you got lucky.

As part of Hot Summer Nights 2015, spell 725 was modified to allow a Sorcerer to attempt to summon specific types of demons without the use of a rune. There is still a significant bonus to success when using a rune.
Re: Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/24/2018 10:26 AM CDT

Thank you for your input Starchitin.

I believe several other high powered Sorcerer's believe such knowledge should not be sold as well and so I think my best bet is to just keep chugging along until my sorcerer can interact with someone with the ability to teach and I can befriend them.

I do not have high hopes for this course though which is why I took to looking to purchase it outside of the game.
Re: Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/24/2018 10:31 AM CDT

I saw that summoning demons is now even easier than ever (with demonology lore being very useful for that) and I was planning on simply playing the odds summoning either the Grik or the Imp and just releasing and summoning again. 50/50 isn't so bad.

Unfortunately it seems they put a timer on such summoning events (which wasn't in the WIKI as far as I could see) and now I have the added "burden" of simply keeping a vakra runestone handy to refresh the duration every hour.

What I couldn't figure out (but I suspect) is whether or not having the valence runestone provides absolutely no bonus to my attempt at summoning a specific demon from within that valence. I am guessing not. But it would be great if my demonology lore + access to the valence runestone helped focus in on my desired imp slave.
Re: Sorcerer Uncommon Rune Lesson 10/24/2018 11:46 AM CDT
<I do not have high hopes for this course though which is why I took to looking to purchase it outside of the game.>

Just try to strike up an IC conversation with who-ever happens to be resting in the same room with you. You'd be surprised how many you meet happen to be upper level characters that are more then happy to assist someone new that's attempting to RP (there's a lot of people that take great pains to obscure what their level actually is).

Also, on the wiki page for the uncommon runes, there's a list of characters known to have knowledge of that rune. It's not a complete list, but those on it are usually people willing to teach them to those they consider "worthy". Different people will have different things they're looking for, esp for the runes that they can only teach a limited number of times, but I'd bet good silver that attempting to RP with them (or asking them in OOC WHISPERs for advice if you're not confident about your RP skills) would go a long way towards impressing most of them.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.