enchanting and recharging 06/17/2022 08:00 PM CDT
Hi, I feel foolish asking for help on this... is there somewhere to get step-by-step instructions on how to enchant and recharge items? I've tried to find and read on these topics but what I found really doesn't give a step-by-step for beginners... I just can't grasp on how to start and what I need to do... if someone can help me in-game or point me in the right direction for beginners on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 04:54 AM CDT
Enchanting:
Gain experience. Somehow. (Bounties, hunting, whatever's your pleasure.)
Those add up to points (check 'resource' for how many you have available, limit 50k/week).
Get tempering potion, pour on item. Maybe have a Bard loresing it, so you know what the difficulty is.
(Read the GSWiki article for specifics.) I think it is prep/cast to SEE what the difficulty is, and prep/channel to ACTUALLY DO the attempt.
With success, the item will go up +1 (no longer +5/cast, but MUCH easier to get smaller steps).
Also, the item is usable the whole time while the mage builds up Enchant-juice, rather than sitting in a locker while it tempers.
And, of course, if you have enough money and enough friends, you can pass it to MageA for a +1, then to MageB for another +1, then to MageC for another +1, then to... you see where this is going.

Recharge:
Get an orb gem, and a grot t'kel potion from the Alchemist. Pour the one on the other. Do not screw this step up.
Prep/cast at the orb, and again and again until the orb stops growing. If the orb shrinks during the charging, you can re-cast at it.
Hold item, 'touch orb'. Repeat until it is full, you (and all your friends in the room) run out of mana, the orb vanishes, or the item fails to take more charges (may be locked permanently).
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 05:09 AM CDT
Look for Faulkil in-game and he will happily sit with you and walk you through either process end to end.

The wiki entry for charge item appears to be pretty step-by step if you haven't visited there: https://gswiki.play.net/Charge_Item_(517)

The wiki entry for enchanting doesn't appear to do a very good job of laying out the basics. https://gswiki.play.net/Enchant_(925)

Super high level:
1) Collect Essence by earning experience (you can see how much you have by typing RESOURCE). The higher level the enchant you are attempting, the more essence you will need. Hint: You can practice by taking something from +0 to +1 as this take zero essence to do. The wiki entry for 925 tells you how much essence you need for a particular enchant.

2) Make sure your item is 'unlocked' for enchanting (you can get a sense of this by casting 405 at the item you want to enchant). To 'unlock' an item you POUR a colored potion ONTO the item you wish to unlock. You can acquire the potions from the wizards guild: Red unlocks to +5, Orange unlocks to +10, Yellow unlocks to +15, Green Unlocks to +20, Blue unlocks to +25, Indigo unlocks to +30, Violet unlocks to +35. You have to use these in order (e.g. you have to unlock to +10 before you can further unlock to +15)

3) Use a workshop when enchanting. There is one in each wizard guild (and some other ones about). You can confirm you are in the appropriate room by typing SENSE. MEssaging should be something like: You study your surroundings and use your keen knowledge of the arcane. It quickly becomes evident that this room is a magical workshop.

4) Have your familiar summoned and with you when enchanting.

5) CAST 925 at the item to confirm it will not be too difficult for you (PREP 925, CAST my item). Make sure you are standing in the workshop with your familiar as this will effect the difficulty reading that you get.

6) If the item is appropriately unlocked and not too difficult and you have sufficient essence to complete the enchant then you can CHANNEL 925 at your item (PREP 925, CHANNEL my item) to add +1 to its enchant. Assuming your channel is successful, you are done!

Note: Some items can be more difficult to enchant / require special potions (e.g. enhancives). I would recommend doing some basic enchants for starters and to get familiar with the process and then review the wiki site when you are interested in tackling something more challenging (or just ask questions about it in-game on the HELP thought channel).

Hope that helps and happy enchanting!

-- Robert aka Faulkil

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 09:28 AM CDT
this helps, thank you... I will reach out to you in game and if you have some time, I would love to sit with you for a few...
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 09:30 AM CDT
thank you, this also helps...

stupid question...where does one acquire an orb gem? are they sold somewhere or is it something you make or acquire?
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 01:51 PM CDT
>stupid question...where does one acquire an orb gem? are they sold somewhere or is it something you make or acquire?

Any gem can be an orb gem, but you can only identify them through the use of a bard. You want to use a more expensive orb gem, such as an uncut diamond, for your orb to last longer for the recharging session. It's irritating if your orb gem only lasts a few moments before your charging orb goes poof.

There are tiny pearls (I think that's the one) that are always orb gems....if I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/18/2022 02:15 PM CDT
thank you... so I need a bard. was wondering if someone sold them...

thanks again
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/19/2022 03:45 AM CDT
>>stupid question...where does one acquire an orb gem? are they sold somewhere or is it something you make or acquire?

If you're just looking to practice with charge item you can find a pure grot t'kel shard in the landing wizard guild shop. The shard acts like a treated purified gem for use with 517. It's only recommended for use with rechargeable that you don't care about. Generally common treasure drops (wands, cubes, heavy quartz orbs, etc.) are best, as it carries a penalty over actual orb gems, but it's probably a good item to practice with if you have difficulty finding a bard.

Viduus
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/19/2022 04:23 AM CDT
Orb gems "just happen" to high-level Bards; I've stopped carrying anything of 9.5k or lower, and I have a container dedicated for values of 9,750, 10k, 11k, 12k, and 13k.
The occasional REALLY good gem that gets up to 16, 17, or 18k... Yeah, I just sell those to the gemshop. They don't happen often enough that I'm likely to build up many.

Yes, "tiny" pearls are always orbs; many of the "star sapphires" are, too, but not quite as reliably.

If you see any Clerics working with chrism gems, you can work with their source, too. Same gem.

Tune into & inquire on the 'merchant' channel of ESP, you'll likely find some available.
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/19/2022 09:02 AM CDT

thank you, this is helpful
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/19/2022 09:03 AM CDT
oh, this might be a good place to start... thank you
Re: enchanting and recharging 06/19/2022 12:12 PM CDT
From my experience anything over 5k in value works well for charging up items. I typically use uncut emeralds which I have a bardess friend sing to for me. A bit over half of the emeralds that she sings to she is able to 'orb' (make them into otb gems).

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.