Enchanting - am I doing something wrong? 01/15/2022 01:34 PM CST
So I'm new to enchanting, and while I've read the relevant wiki pages and I think I understand the process/requirements, I appear to still be doing something wrong.

I'm trying to enchant 'a perfect ora footman's hammer' (a maul) that I bought from a player shop 9 or so years ago. I'm looking to take it to 3x or even 4x to start with.

I verified that it is a 2x enchant (consistent with the innate ora bonus) via swinging it with my THW-trained warrior and comparing the AS to that character's primary, known-enchant weapon (a 1x claid).

My wizard:

Your spell lists:
Minor Elemental...30
Major Elemental...20
Wizard Base.......25

Strength (STR): 72 (-4) ... 72 (-4)
Constitution (CON): 77 (23) ... 77 (23)
Dexterity (DEX): 88 (29) ... 88 (29)
Agility (AGI): 77 (23) ... 77 (23)
Discipline (DIS): 66 (3) ... 66 (3)
Aura (AUR): 96 (28) ... 96 (28)
Logic (LOG): 95 (32) ... 95 (32)
Intuition (INT): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Wisdom (WIS): 85 (17) ... 85 (17)
Influence (INF): 46 (-7) ... 46 (-7)

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 10 2
Physical Fitness...................| 130 35
Arcane Symbols.....................| 130 35
Magic Item Use.....................| 130 35
Spell Aiming.......................| 170 70
Harness Power......................| 163 63
Elemental Mana Control.............| 130 35
Elemental Lore - Air...............| 50 10
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 124 32
Perception.........................| 130 35
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 70 15

I'm in an enchanting workshop (FWI Wizard Guild:

You study your surroundings and use your keen knowledge of the arcane. It quickly becomes evident that this room is a strong magical workshop.

You sense that you have accumulated enough essence to complete a +50 enchantment.

I have my familiar summoned.

>look hammer
You notice a small enchanter's glyph and XXXXXXX's crafting mark.

>prep 405
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Detection spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my hammer
You gesture at a perfect ora footman's hammer.
The underlying patterns of essence within the footman's hammer indicate that it has been enchanted. You recognize the vibrant green aura surrounding it as indicating a moderate level of enchantment.
The footman's hammer seems to have been prepared for enchanting, and may be enchanted up to a bonus of 20.

>prep 925
>cast my hammer
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Enchant Item...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a perfect ora footman's hammer.
You sense that the footman's hammer already bears an enchantment and that you can only fail to enchant it if you are horribly unlucky.

You will need to prepare the footman's hammer with an appropriate potion to enchant it any further.

[CHANNEL this spell at the footman's hammer if you would like to proceed with this enchantment attempt.]

You remove an undiluted green ayan'eth potion from in your mithril-clasped cloak.

You pour some of your green ayan'eth potion onto a perfect ora footman's hammer. The liquid quickly and easily coats the entire surface of the hammer but after several moments it dries and the residue quickly flakes away.

(I assume the above is some sort of message indicating a problem, but I'm not sure what, exactly. I just had a bless dispelled from the hammer, so that can't be it.)

>prep 925
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Enchant Item...
Your spell is ready.
>channel hammer
You channel at a perfect ora footman's hammer.

You will need to prepare the footman's hammer with an appropriate potion to enchant it any further.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

Am I missing something obvious? Perhaps my training isn't sufficient? (I know my overall training is a bit wonky, especially the lore - I have one fixskills if necessary, so any tips are appreciated.)
Re: Enchanting - am I doing something wrong? 01/15/2022 01:48 PM CST
>> You recognize the vibrant green aura surrounding it as indicating a moderate level of enchantment.

This is telling you that your weapon is currently +20 enchanted. If you want to unlock the item so that it can be enchanted above +20, you will next want to use an an undiluted blue ayan'eth potion which will unlock it so that it can go up to +25.

You are always welcome to reach out to Faulkil in game if you have additional questions realting to enchanting.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Enchanting - am I doing something wrong? 01/15/2022 01:53 PM CST
Using your 405 spell to determine the current enchant:

ROYGBIV-CSG

Red +5
Orange +10
Yellow +15
Green +20
Blue +25
Indigo +30
Violet +35
Copper +40
Silver +45
Gold +50

Modified by the intensity of the color:

Color intensity Enchant value
faint color value -4
muted color value -3
hazy color value -2
soft color value -1
vibrant full color value

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: Enchanting - am I doing something wrong? 01/15/2022 02:10 PM CST
Ohhhh. I think I overlooked one of my warrior's various CMANs when calculating the AS. Thank you.