Let's make it more tedious! 10/04/2021 11:27 PM CDT
>>[4:22 PM] Estild: The current idea for Rapid Fire (515) is that it would have a baseline -1 second castRT with no cooldown. However, it can then be evoked to grant a -2 second castRT, but after it wears off, the base version of the spell goes on a 2 minute cooldown and the evoked version goes on a 10 minute cooldown. The evoke cooldown can be reduced by -1 second per EMC rank (so can get it down to 5 minutes with max training, benefit is capped at -300). The baseline achieves the numbers we're after, but also gives wizards the opportunity to use it as an offensive powerup (but forces a decision on using it due to the incurred cooldown penalty). It's possible to have 1035 work similarly.

What?

I don't use Rapid Fire - I hate the way it was changed in its current form. But what I hate more is the constant reduction.......no, no, no. Let's call it as what folks will see it as, nerfing.

What's with the constant nerfing of spells to cause more headaches by slowing things down or making the spells/abilities so convoluted that you have to run a script to help utilize new functions? What is so wrong with how 915 works today?

For example, look at the weapon techniques added to the game. Cool features, but none of them trigger automatically (that I've come across) unless you're typing out more steps in your combat.

I ran around with a level 21 TWC warrior for about 20 minutes this evening. Last time I actually hunted him was probably 10-12 months ago. Apparently due to training in OHE he gets weapon technique and one of them is Riposte.
I parry an attack and I get a message saying something about "this would be a good time to Riposte".

Okay...how the hell do I riposte?
I find I can click on the link in SF and it works. Okay, cool. But stopping to move my hand from my keyboard to my mouse and try to click on text that's scrolling up is stupid. Too slow and clunky to really be of use....15 minutes of screwing around and trying to find the info on the gswiki (which I found info about Riposte under Riposte, so that was easy) on how to use the skill, but the info I find doesn't help me learn how to actually utilize Riposte.

Eventually I figured out you have to type out "weapon riposte".....
Why can't the ability just be toggled on/off so it can work automatically for me or not at all? Why do I now have to type out the use of a weapon feat/technique? Why wasn't the system designed to be user friendly and trigger automatically?

Now I have more typing to do....if I want to use these new features....oh joy.
Screw that. Instead of typing out tons of extra lines of text, folks are designing scripts to do things for you....yes, you guessed it - automatically.

Now we circle back around to nerfing of 515 - why? What is reason to stomp all over this spell again?

Will we see the same thing happen to 506?

Will we all of a sudden get told that 513 provides too much of a bolting AS boost with fire lore so we're going to only allow it to trigger once, every 2 full moon cycles during the summer months? Seriously. How much more confusing and twisted are things going to be made?
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 09:05 AM CDT
Yeah, the "now would be a good time to try XXXX" is something that I found out that I need to highlight (when I played my Monk for a bit). Unfortunately, since he's a Monk there are already "a huge number of lines flying past" just from the UAC speed of things; then add in "+3 lines to nearly everything" because of breaking in an Animalistic Spirit set (== trio of items) and it's just stupid. At this point, I'm lucky if I see the "do THIS OTHER move for UAC tier" highlight.

Naturally, "if I were scripting this" it wouldn't be an issue: computer-speed reaction to computer-speed transmission.

Putting the "mere human" into it is where the slow-down happens.

(See also my repeated rants about "two-second server-side cycles" on things, like "Earthen Fury trying to kill me.")

This is also why I was not terribly wild about the "Wings of Tonis" possible buff, because it's one of these "has a chance of triggering". Well, that's great: unless I'm sitting there mashing the "repeat repeat repeat repeat" key--hence scroll, hence pinging the server uselessly, hence "more laggy"--I am unlikely to benefit from that sudden "Hey, you're even faster for this one!" because by the time I see it and can react, the window is gone already.

In a text game that is (notionally at least) aimed at Actual Human sitting in front of keyboard and, I don't know... READING IT, "roughly three seconds" should be right about the absolute floor for "how fast things can happen." Everything else should start higher than that, and then the "special speed-up boosts" can bring you down. Somewhat.

Also, note that if WE all slow down, creatures do not need to be built along the lines of "use killer power immediately". Because we are slower, they can be, too.
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 12:40 PM CDT
>>[4:22 PM] Estild: The current idea for Rapid Fire (515) is that it would have a baseline -1 second castRT with no cooldown. However, it can then be evoked to grant a -2 second castRT, but after it wears off, the base version of the spell goes on a 2 minute cooldown and the evoked version goes on a 10 minute cooldown. The evoke cooldown can be reduced by -1 second per EMC rank (so can get it down to 5 minutes with max training, benefit is capped at -300). The baseline achieves the numbers we're after, but also gives wizards the opportunity to use it as an offensive powerup (but forces a decision on using it due to the incurred cooldown penalty). It's possible to have 1035 work similarly.

Could we have "Making the game more fun" (not "more complex") as a higher priority than it currently seems to be on the Development radar when it comes to spell re-re-re-reviews? This is a serious request. I know initially the goal was to make bolts better (RIP) so that having the 515 boost wasn't necessary. When that failed to develop we defaulted back to the nerfed version of the 515 spell that we have now. What new and exciting developments are there for bolt casters that are being planned and developed to roll out in conjunction with the above referenced 515 nerf?

-- Robert

Rex's face lights up as you approach the Gate. He waves happily and says, "It is good to see you back, Faulkil!"
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 01:39 PM CDT
If you're a lich user....autoreact will watch for "now would be..." and automatically do it.

- Andreas
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 02:47 PM CDT
>>If you're a lich user

While I understand the truth behind the simple observation that such a script exists and performs this function, I'm going to come down hard on the other side.

This game should neither be designed nor developed with the understanding that Lich can actually make it playable / enjoyable.

I'm relatively sure that the only real consideration the GMs give to Lich is how badly they might break existing Lich features if they follow a certain path. And even then I would bet it's not a deciding criterion, but may be reflected in information the GMs choose to share if it ever really becomes problematic.

But designing the game from a playability / enjoyment view? I surely hope not!

That having been said - don't change 515 (again). Give wizards other reasons to not reach for it, don't slow the game down when they do.

Doug
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 03:41 PM CDT
>>While I understand the truth behind the simple observation that such a script exists and performs this function, I'm going to come down hard on the other side.

Certainly don't disagree with you. I wrote the script because I thought it was annoying that we had such a short timeframe to read/process and respond to do what should be basically automatic. Granted, sometimes I wish it wouldn't have done it, but 99% of the time...yeah.

- Andreas
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 04:24 PM CDT
>>but 99% of the time...yeah.

Yep! Don't take it as a knock. . . I'm very happy it can be done. I'm just not happy that it needs to be done to be playable / enjoyable.

Doug
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 06:06 PM CDT
I think some context has been lost here, because the answer to this...

>What new and exciting developments are there for bolt casters that are being planned and developed to roll out in conjunction with the above referenced 515 nerf?

...is things like this:

Estild — 09/30/2021
Ideally, if we did a Wizard Review, we could make the actual elements more for roleplay, then actual damage. i.e. use fire if you're a fire wizard or ice if you're an ice wizard, with the same DF and mana costs. There would still be certain advantages, like fire against trolls, but the base spells would be more aligned.

Estild — 09/30/2021
Who knows. Maybe even this could happen with a Wizard Review:
>incant 940
You trace a series of glowing runes while chanting the phrase for Elemental Overload...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
You suddenly feel more powerful. (30 second effect)
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>incant 910
Your hands glow with power as you invoke the phrase for Major Shock...
Your spell is ready.
You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a triton radical!
AS: +332 vs DS: +263 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +92 = +200
... and hit for 75 points of damage!
Heavy jolt to chest causes solar plexus to explode. Remarkable display of spraying blood.
... and hit for 57 points of damage!
Stunning arc of electricity fuses right arm at elbow.
... and hit for 44 points of damage!
Horrid jolt to neck explodes vocal cords. The triton radical gurgles in response.
The triton radical collapses, gurgling once with a wrathful look on its face before expiring.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

A⌋姆ìℜ 💬 — Yesterday at 12:26 PM
Can we still have 940
Estild — Yesterday at 12:26 PM
Yes, very likely so. I still want to implement it when we review Wizards.

And the 515 change wouldn't happen globally until such a review happened:

Estild — Yesterday at 1:13 PM
The current plan is that Divergence is temporary. We're moving ahead with the Bard Review (with MnE). Divergence would be in place in the Hinterwilds and we're remove the individual components as each profession gets their reviews implemented. Mostly, that just means, it would only temporarily apply to Bards, then a bit longer for Wizards since we haven't started their review yet. We'd probably just completely remove Divergence and globally update 240 once the Wizard Review goes live since it's less of an issue, but still one we needed to address.

Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 06:27 PM CDT
>> I think some context has been lost here, because the answer to this...

Hey Leafiara - Thank you for providing the additional context!

>> Ideally, if we did a Wizard Review, we could make the actual elements more for roleplay, then actual damage.

Just throwing out my two silver... I'd like to see the actual elements for wizards be both roleplay and mechanically diverse. e.g. A fire wizard could do 'fire things' but would not have access to some of the cool 'ice things'.. Air wizards would be faster, fire wizards would be damage heavy, earth wizards would be crunchier, etc... choices that are meaningful from both an RP and a gameplay perspective. Is that more work? Yup. Is it way cooler? I think so.

>> Divergence

I have no idea what this is. :p

-- Robert

Rex's face lights up as you approach the Gate. He waves happily and says, "It is good to see you back, Faulkil!"
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 08:53 PM CDT
>> Divergence
I have no idea what this is. :p

Don't feel bad. No one else that doesn't visit discord and live there knows what it is, either.
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/05/2021 10:04 PM CDT
Okay, but the quote in the OP comes from 9 minutes earlier in exactly the same Discord conversation as the Divergence quote, and the conversation happened in, well, the Divergence thread...

Either way, I don't have any larger point to make here. I mostly just didn't want people who don't follow Discord to read about something that might or might not happen and think of it as something that's definitely going to happen. By all means, if you think it's a bad direction, now's definitely the time to explain why. In fact, his very next line after the quoted one about Rapid Fire was:

Estild — Yesterday at 1:23 PM
I also forgot to mention that we'd implement the current versions of the spell updates we're planning in the long term as the Divergence version. So if the 515 idea above is well received, then that will be the Divergence version of it. It also makes it easy for us since we'll already have the global version designed and coded when it comes time.

Emphasis on "if" and "well received."
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/06/2021 08:22 AM CDT
So the Divergence path is to "plan towards and build an implementation of the spell, but have it hidden somewhere [like spell-list #24]" so that players aren't bothered by it.
We could even see creatures use it against us...

Color me amused by things like "have multiple bolts hit the same target" (which I have previously suggested as an option for things like ball spells, to "splash on" ONLY the actual target/hit it multiple times with the flares).
I continue to think that having that as an effect/option--maybe gated behind Lore or MOC ranks, since "splashy" is already so?--is better than devoting a "40th level Pure base list" spell slot to it.
Re: Let's make it more tedious! 10/06/2021 08:33 AM CDT
>> Okay, but the quote in the OP comes from 9 minutes earlier in exactly the same Discord conversation as the Divergence quote, and the conversation happened in, well, the Divergence thread...

I pulled the quoted text from the post here on the officials prior to mine (post 1890). I don't spend any time on Discord.

Part of the joy of having multiple communications channels where information is inconsistently communicated. I appreciate your (and others) attempts to make that less of an issue. :-)

-- Robert