Enchanting at level 25 questions 12/04/2020 08:07 AM CST
Looking to see as a level 25 wizard with just the requirements met to start enchanting - what level of enchant could I expect to achieve on a basic item? Up to 4x? More or less?

Also while being in that range what should the charge be for it? I see average cost being 225 to 250. At that level is 200 per essence normal?
Re: Enchanting at level 25 questions 12/04/2020 08:36 AM CST
Hi Ghostpants.

Depending on your stats, you can probably do somewhere between 4x and 5x enchants on basic items.

What you charge is really up to you but generally speaking, people will pay higher rates for harder enchants.
- My level 44 warmage has an enchanting bonus of 205 (they only have 25 wizard ranks and terrible enchanting stats so likely enchant similarly to your character). If they were selling essence, they would likely charge between 150 and 200 per essence.
- My more than 3x capped wizard can achieve over 600 enchanting bonus with minimal enhancives and has charged anywhere from under 200 (friends and family) to 300. He can charge more but even at 300 I feel enchanting prices are absurdly high for what you get. That said, there are players that will certainly charge, and pay, more.

There is a handy lich script called tears.lic which will calculate your enchanting bonus for you.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Tippy Top 12/04/2020 09:58 AM CST
As a matter of curiosity, has anyone done the math to determine the absolute max bonus possible, and an analysis of which race might make the best enchanter? At a glance, it appears that last nod might go to burghal gnomes and halflings, which feels counterintuitive.

Doug
Re: Tippy Top 12/04/2020 10:25 AM CST
Most of the enchanting factors are non-race dependent:
- Level
- MIU Ranks
- AS Ranks
- EMC Ranks
- Wizard Spell Ranks
- Familiar Bonus (25)
- Workshop Bonus (50)

The only two factors that are race dependent (LOG & INT bonus) would favor Burghal Gnomes and Halflings followed by Aelotoi and Humans.
- Burghal Gnome (65)
- Halfling (65)
- Aelotoi (60)
- Human (60)

Definitely counterintuitive but who said the enchanting system had to be intuitive? I do find it humorous that dwarves beat out elves for enchanting. That said, in the grand scheme of things we're talking a fairly minor difference of 10-15 points for most races.

I haven't bothered to math out the max possible value because there so far hasn't been a practical need or reason for me to do so but it is something that could be done with about 5 minutes worth of effort.

-- Robert

Re: Tippy Top 12/04/2020 11:25 AM CST

My intention was actually to make a Burghal Gnome so that works out well!

I was looking into item prices and see gear that is 4x selling for the 50,000 silver range.. why would someone spend a couple million to enchant an item to x4 then? Name of the item base alone?
Re: Tippy Top 12/04/2020 11:40 AM CST
It might happen if something has an unusual property or alter. But frankly, it's easier to buy 5 and 6x gear, get it altered, add properties, and get it enchanted than ever before.

I think the pricing actually has more to do with the inherent value of today's silver and opportunistic wizards. Take PEREGRINEFALCON for example - two radically different price schemes for friends and foes.

Doug
Re: Tippy Top 12/04/2020 03:00 PM CST
>> I was looking into item prices and see gear that is 4x selling for the 50,000 silver range.. why would someone spend a couple million to enchant an item to x4 then?

4x and under enchanting is busted (opinion mine). A wizard can enchant an item from 4x to 5x and easily sell it for 2 million silver. This is less essence than it takes to enchant an item from 0x to 4x which you can generally sell for roughly 50k-325k depending on the item and your level of patience.

>> I think the pricing actually has more to do with the inherent value of today's silver and opportunistic wizards. Take PEREGRINEFALCON for example - two radically different price schemes for friends and foes.

I think you unfairly defame my character with your unkind aspersions good sir!

-- Robert

Re: Tippy Top 12/04/2020 03:27 PM CST
Now adding Doug to "foe" pricing list...

<flee!>
Re: Tippy Top 12/20/2020 07:17 PM CST
I did some playing around with my bard friend to get an enchanting difficulty read on some project that I thought might be challenging or even too difficult to enchant at all. These didn't fall out in the difficulty order that I expected and I thought I'd go ahead and share the difficulty values in case anyone else is interested (easiest to hardest from my sample set):

Bard Value(): Item details

Complicated(368): +27 adamantium coat-of-plates, 10 points of critical padding, 7 points of damage padding.

Complicated(369): +22 adamantium main-gauche, 2 fusion slots(orbs in them), unbalance flares

Tricky(420): +37 mithril greataxe, warrior bonded (not sure if that matters), perfect forged (this shouldn't matter), perma-blessed, 2 points of critical weighting

Tricky(421): +35 heavy mechanical crossbow, 10 points of sighting, net flares (not sure if the net flare adds to difficulty or not)

Tricky (426): 10x double leathers, 12 2/3 points of critical padding, temporary ranger resistance (not sure if this matters). Obviously this can't be enchanted further but demonstrates you can take armor with this or more weighting to 10x.

Tricky(480): +32 imflass Plate Armor, 10 points of critical padding, T5 Ensorcell.

-- Robert

Re: Tippy Top 12/21/2020 08:14 AM CST
To offer comparison values (I did not note the pretty Bardic word, only the numerical value):
- difficulty of 393, +25 Tier5 sigil staff with 6 spell slots unlocked & occupied, disintegrate flares, T1 Ensorcell;
- difficulty of 479, +35 Tier4 nerve staff with two Enhancives (from de-Fusion), Tier5 mana flares, T2 Ensorcell.