Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/08/2020 04:37 PM CDT
A Familiar Gate issue started after the recent familiar update to allow leaving a familiar in a single location. I would greatly appreciate it if staff could look into it. I have submitted a couple bug reports on this since it started a few months back.

The wizard gets rifted when familiar is left in a rarely used area, such as a private property. I believe it's related to the area unloading from the system. It's definitely unrelated to inbound teleportation settings on the room (as evidenced by me getting a vulgarity warning today after this defect occurred yet again).

Steps:
1. Summon familiar
2. Leave familiar in an unpopulated area, such as a private property
3. Leave the area and wait a while (sometimes even 1-2 mins is enough)
4. Attempt to Familiar Gate back in
Result: User fails and is thrown into the Temporal Rift
5. Make your way out of the Temporal Rift
6. Tell Familiar to look
Result: System responds: You have no familiar at this time
7. Walk back to the room you left your familiar
Result: Familiar is right there!

Thanks, let me know if you need more information.

Some lady softly says, "Naamit is over-rated."
You reply, speaking to the lady, "At least I have ratings."
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/21/2020 07:47 PM CDT
This has also been happening sporadically in some rooms of River's Rest citadel.
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/24/2020 10:26 PM CDT
Le me just weigh in here for a minute. IMO, the new enchanting system sucks hairy monkey balls.

I have been playing for 14 years and have 4 capped characters, and 4 more of level 40 or so that I'd like to cap. With luck, I can play for 2, maybe 3 hours a day.
Even if I was happy with playing ONLY my wizardess, it would still take me forever to get enough essence to do a 6X project. Since I have no desire
to essentially retire my other characters, I have to resign myself that my capped mage gal will never enchant another item. Pathetic.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/25/2020 07:10 PM CDT
So I ran into another curious situation with this defect today --

My wizard dropped a familiar at its anchor in Naamit's private property and then left for a while to hunt. Later, I tested on the wizard to confirm that the original issue occurred--I could not give the familiar commands, it said I had no familiar. Then I logged out, away from the area where the familiar was supposed to be stationed. A few hours later, I logged in with another character and now I see the wizard's familiar stuck in the same room I'd tried to leave it in in the first place. It's not doing anything, it's just stuck here.

I submitted a bug report on this, mostly matching the above.

Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/26/2020 01:08 AM CDT

>I can play for 2, maybe 3 hours a day.

You can absorb essence while offline, you'll probably have to fixskills to make the most out of it ie more harness power but I think this was meant to be the olive branch for those that had old style pocket enchanters.
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/26/2020 09:59 PM CDT
I can indeed; but it's not the absorption that is the bottleneck, it gaining the essence in the first place. When I say I can play
2-3 hours a day, that's not just my mage; that includes all my gals. Wizard may hunt 2 hours a week.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Still loathe new enchanting system 06/27/2020 08:09 AM CDT
>I can indeed; but it's not the absorption that is the bottleneck, it gaining the essence in the first place. When I say I can play 2-3 hours a day, that's not just my mage; that includes all my gals. Wizard may hunt 2 hours a week.

Sorry, you guys kept posting under the wrong topic so I had to change it back, it was bugging me.

There are 2 penalties to gaining essence. Most essence you can earn is:
Base: 33
Level Extra: 10 (1 for every level above you)
Mana extra: 12 (1 for every mana point spent killing the target)
Max total = 55 (33 + 10 + 12) for your very first kill (if your essence pool is empty)

1) Every level under the caster's level reduces the essence earned by 10%.
If you're under hunting by 5 levels your first kill will give you this and you used 12+ mana to kill the creature:
Base: 33
Level Extra: 0
Mana extra: 12
Penalty -50% (5 levels under you)
Max total = (33 + 12) - trunc((33 + 12) * .5)
45 - 22 = 23

2) Every 20 essence stored in your pool gives you a -1% return on your earned essence.
Using the above and we'll say you earn 23 essence a kill from a creature 5 levels under you. However, we'll say you have 200 essence built up in your pool that you haven't absorbed yet. Your next kill will give you this essence amount: 20 essence (200/20 = 10% penalty on your essence earning power) so we use the equation of trunc(23 * .9) = 20

As you can see there is a big hit to essence as you under hunt in level, plus the second penalty to having essence in your pool. It can take a lot of kills for a capped character to fill their pool (500 + mana) if they have 400 mana. Their pool size can hold 900 essence.

We'll say you're level 100 and have 400 mana.
Your essence pool = 900
If you didn't pulse and absorb any essence while out hunting and you are under hunting by 5 levels, you'd need to roughly 53, level 95 creatures to max your essence pool. Unless you can take out 53 level 95 creatures in under 2 minutes, you're going to probably be hunting over a handful of pulses, so in reality you'll probably need to kill 65-70 over the duration of your hunt.

We'll say you're level 100, have 400 mana.
Your essence pool = 900
You're hunting like level creatures (level 100).
If you didn't pulse and absorb any essence while out hunting and you are hunting like level, you'd need to roughly 27, level 100 creatures to max your essence pool. Unless you can take out 27 level 100 creatures in under 2 minutes, you're going to probably be hunting over a handful of pulses, so in reality you'll probably need to kill 30-35 over the duration of your hunt.

We'll say you're level 100, have 400 mana.
Your essence pool = 900
You're hunting creatures 5 over you (level 105).
If you didn't pulse and absorb any essence while out hunting and you are hunting 5 levels above you, you'd need to roughly 24, level 105 creatures to max your essence pool. Unless you can take out 24 level 105 creatures in under 2 minutes, you're going to probably be hunting over a handful of pulses, so in reality you'll probably need to kill 27-32 over the duration of your hunt.

As you can see there's a big difference in like level hunting when compared to somewhat under hunting and even larger gap if you're over hunting. Depending on your hunting location, how long it takes you to get to it, a single hunt could take anywhere from around 18-40 minutes.

Tack on the slow pulse waiting game to absorb essence, even if you have 202 EMC ranks and 85 EL:F (this will give you a +5 to your absorption rate), you still only get 63 essence a pulse on node. 900 / 63 = 14.3 (round up = 15 pulses to completely empty your essence pool in this scenario I presented). So 30 minutes to completely earn 900 essence. Ideally you'd want to get back out hunting before the last 1 or 2 pulses so you constantly have something to absorb while you're getting out to your hunting ground so you're not wasting pulses.

I made a suggestion a little while back to remove the -1% penalty and folks that replied basically said TS, deal with it.
Removing that -1% penalty would reduce kills required to fill your essence pool by 25% (roughly). You won't absorb essence faster (this is already capped by on-node/off-node essence absorption amounts), but you'll reduce your time needing to hunt to fill your essence pool all the way. If you could trim roughly 25% from your hunting time...what was maybe a 20 minute time frame to do a hunt is now about 15 minutes.

One last thing to keep in mind - and if this has changed, someone correct me - if you're group hunting and you do less than 50% of the damage to the target, you only get a chance to earn essence from the kill. Essentially group hunting can prolong your time to building up your essence pool.
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 03/02/2021 03:38 PM CST
Just going to re-iterate that this still appears to be happening. Is this something that could be addressed? It appears as if the area is despawning, consuming the familiar with it as it happens and you can't do anything with the familiar but release it at times. Super annoying especially when you have a non-permanent custom wizard talisman familiar that you don't want to eat charges on because the familiar bugged out.

Also on a side note, a way to tell your familiar to return if you happen to go into a different zone/realm. Would be nice to be able to tell my familiar to return and not get the "He's to far away" message.
Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/23/2021 03:18 PM CDT
Hello, this defect is still happening. Can it please be addressed?

Re: Familiar Gate defect, familiar goes AWOL 06/23/2021 06:22 PM CDT
Hello Fam(-iliars). You have gained power over the lands around you and they now bend to your will. (Like other pets, familiars will now keep the areas around them from unloading.)

--
Naos, actually a cat.