711 nerf 11/21/2020 08:13 PM CST
As a wizard with steam and rapid fire, I did this in about 20 seconds to the same WL invasion mob before it died (it had around 3k hit points):

... and hit for 120, 171, 138, 168, 167, 174, 171, 192, 187, 168, 176, 185, 183, 152, 160, 171, 164, 167 points of damage! (18 separate casts.)

I could also do more than 200 points of damage with 910, and then I had cone and 950 to drop the REALLY big hammer. A sorc, the alleged master of single-target damage, doing 200 capped Pain would take almost 3 times as long, and use much more mana. And with no CS-based option to hit multiple mobs at once. And yes, I confirmed these ordinary invasion mobs were all marked with the "boss" flag and sorcs were thus capped. In this scenario the RT-locking benefit of Pain is pointless since there are usually multiple mobs in the room, and all the others can keep whaling on you while you fire down one. You're much better off just killing faster.

If the "boss" flag continues to spread, this seems like another Dark (Catalyst) age for sorcs. Under no scenario should they be slower than any other class at burning down a single mob. This is their class-defining trait and is the trade-off for not having mass effect CS damage spells. A better solution must be found.
Re: 711 nerf 11/23/2020 08:35 PM CST
>this seems like another Dark (Catalyst) age for sorcs. Under no scenario should they be slower than any other class at burning down a single mob. This is their class-defining trait and is the trade-off for not having mass effect CS damage spells.

This is exactly right. For almost two decades now Sorcerers have been the masters of single-target combat. It was kind of our thing. 711 has existed for a very long time and somehow the game continued to roll along. For reasons of their own, current DEV decided that 711 could no longer be permitted the way it was and they flat nerfed it. This leaves us with, what?

We have 714! With the explosion of SK items the relevance of Scroll Infusion has been drastically reduced.

We have 725! A cool spell but no longer near strong enough given its convoluted nature.

We have 730! Like 725 it is somewhat useful, but niche.

We can teleport Cross Realms with 740! So can anyone for a little coin or the redemption of a Boost Realms Chronomage.

We can Ensorcell! Somewhat in demand, but that has lowered due to the large increase in difficulty it creates for 925, not to mention the fact that the coin we can make from it is a pittance compared to what Wizards can make with the new Enchant... <shrug>

We lost a "defining trait" of the class and got nothing in return.

Avaia, player of
Re: 711 nerf 11/23/2020 09:46 PM CST

And yet Sorcs are still the #1 fastest and most efficient killers at DR with minimum gear to achieve said feat. Go figure?
Re: 711 nerf 11/23/2020 10:01 PM CST
>>this seems like another Dark (Catalyst) age for sorcs. Under no scenario should they be slower than any other class at burning down a single mob. This is their class-defining trait and is the trade-off for not having mass effect CS damage spells.
>
>This is exactly right. For almost two decades now Sorcerers have been the masters of single-target combat. It was kind of our thing. 711 has existed for a very long time and somehow the game continued to roll along. For reasons of their own, current DEV decided that 711 could no longer be permitted the way it was and they flat nerfed it. This leaves us with, what?

720?
Re: 711 nerf 11/24/2020 12:37 AM CST
> And yet Sorcs are still the #1 fastest and most efficient killers at DR with minimum gear to achieve said feat. Go figure?

As we've seen with invasion mobs, the boss flag is a hammer, and once you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I'd bet good money DR champs get the flag next DR.
Re: 711 nerf 11/24/2020 06:26 AM CST
Uhh... didn't DR champions used to be immune to crits--so "incredibly time consuming to kill"--and that got changed so now they are NOT? (Sure, I'm not disagreeing that they can go right back to what used to be, but still.)

I thought that was a tremendous improvement for everyone.