Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/07/2020 09:48 AM CST
I recalled why I wasn't happy ten years ago when hunting my sorcerer in the Nations. I had been trying to hunt the 59/60 vipers, boars and ogre area and kept getting stunned by the boars. This reminder was refreshed last night when I went out for my first hunt in the area after hunting lower 50's while I refreshed my knowledge of hunting as a sorcerer. First hunt out boars did what they do and I stayed stunned until dead...

R>l
[Dark Forest, Overlook]
The trail emerges from the claustrophobic stand of trees into a clearing overlooking the bank of a lake. To either side, the trees block more than a cursory view of the water's edge. On the lake's opposite shore, the trees continue in an even thicker black wall. You also see a massive black boar and a black forest ogre that appears stunned.
Obvious paths: northwest
R>
[SMR result: 141 (Open d100: 88)]
A massive black boar charges suddenly, and you make a feeble attempt to avoid his vicious tusks. Stars explode before your eyes as the boar hammers into you, slamming you to the ground!
... 12 points of damage!
Well placed strike shatters a rib!
You are stunned for 3 rounds!
Roundtime: 12 sec.
!SPR>stance
You are still stunned.
!SPR>
A black forest ogre roars and stumbles about, her eyes glazed over in pain.
!SPR>
[SMR result: 159 (Open d100: 48, Bonus: 59)]
A massive black boar charges suddenly, and you make a feeble attempt to avoid his vicious tusks. Stars explode before your eyes as the boar hammers into you!
... 11 points of damage!
Nailed in lower back!
Roundtime: 12 sec.
!SPR>nw
You are still stunned.
!SPR>nw
You are still stunned.
!SPR>nw
You are still stunned.
!SPR>nw
You are still stunned.
!SPR>nw
You are still stunned.
!SPR>
A massive black boar charges at you!
AS: +350 vs DS: +273 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +98 = +214
... and hits for 20 points of damage!
Stomach strike knocks you backwards several feet.
!PR>nw
...wait 8 seconds.
!PR>nw
...wait 7 seconds.
!PR>
A black forest viper slithers in.
!PR>Stand
...wait 4 seconds.
!PR>
A massive black boar barrels in!
!PR>Stand
...wait 1 seconds.
!PR>
[SMR result: 131 (Open d100: 48, Bonus: 31)]
A massive black boar charges suddenly, goring you with his vicious tusks!
... 8 points of damage!
Beautiful head shot neatly slices off your ear!
You are stunned for 5 rounds!
Roundtime: 9 sec.
!SPR>
Ssrakezh just arrived.
!SPR>
A black forest viper's fangs glisten as it tries to bite a massive black boar!
AS: +330 vs DS: +215 with AvD: +23 + d100 roll: +57 = +195
... and hits for 24 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the right leg.
!SPR>Stand
...wait 5 seconds.
!SPR>
Ssrakezh just went northwest.
!SPR>Stand
...wait 4 seconds.
!SPR>Stand
...wait 2 seconds.
!SPR>
A massive black boar charges at you with its tusk!
AS: +329 vs DS: +260 with AvD: +31 + d100 roll: +60 = +160
... and hits for 26 points of damage!
Torn muscle in your right leg!
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from your skin, writhes its way towards a massive black boar and lashes out malevolently...
The black boar is immune to that spell.
!SPR>
AS: +350 vs DS: +254 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +32 = +167
... and hits for 10 points of damage!
Charlie horse to the left leg!
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from your skin, writhes its way towards a massive black boar and lashes out malevolently...
The black boar is immune to that spell.
!SPR>Stand
You are still stunned.
!SP>Stand
You are still stunned.
!SP>
A black forest viper's fangs glisten as it tries to bite you!
AS: +330 vs DS: +248 with AvD: +27 + d100 roll: +97 = +206
... and hits for 24 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on your right arm.
A dark shadowy tendril rises up from your skin, writhes its way towards a black forest viper and lashes out malevolently...
CS: +304 - TD: +234 + CvA: +25 + d100: +21 == +116
Warding failed!
A black forest viper's eyes flash with a searing jolt of light!
It is lightly stunned!
!SP>Stand
You are still stunned.
!SP>Stand
You are still stunned.
!SP>
AS: +339 vs DS: +244 with AvD: +39 + d100 roll: +45 = +179
... and hits for 12 points of damage!
Your wrist is twisted slightly.
Your SIGN OF STRIKING is no longer effective.
The powerful look leaves you.
A dark shadow seems to detach itself from your body, swiftly dissipating into the air.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around you.
Your SIGN OF SWORDS is no longer effective.
The misty halo fades from you.
Your SIGN OF STAUNCHING is no longer effective.
The white light leaves you.
The very powerful look leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
The air calms down around you.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
Your SIGN OF SMITING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF DEFENDING is no longer effective.
Your SIGN OF WARDING is no longer effective.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves you.
You feel less confident than before.
Your SIGN OF SHIELDS is no longer effective.
You lose your extra internal fortitude.
Your SIGN OF DEFLECTION is no longer effective.
You notice your blood flow go back to normal.
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...
You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.
...departing in 10 mins...

Basically I had time to walk into the area, see a ogre, jolt it to keep it in place and the boar ran in and then you see what you see. So, any advice to avoid this sort of cheap death crap?
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 12:22 AM CST
<So, any advice to avoid this sort of cheap death crap?>

I don't know how much you normally have on you, but you're past the time when you can get away with ignoring what your encumbrance is. Pretty much every hunting area is going to have at least one critter that uses maneuvers and being unencumbered is the best way to keep them from hitting you with them. Unfortunately, sorcerer's stats don't do a lot to help with it AND they have all sorts of components needed for various spells. Basically, if you don't need it while hunting, locker it. Saving any white crystals you find and rubbing them once you find enough loot to increase your encumbrance will also help.

Other things that will help:

-Perception, there's no reason you shouldn't be 1x in it

-Physical Fitness, you should be 1x in this as well, the old advice of stopping once your HP maxes out is no longer valid

-Phase (704) will help when you cast it on yourself, Demonology lore will improve it's effectiveness by an unknown amount

-Disable everything that has a maneuver you can't avoid the moment it enters the room whether you intend on killing it or not.

-Step out of the room when there's too much to keep disabled, sometimes retreat is the best option

-Don't dawdle, if it can move it's a threat... if it's stunned/RT locked/delimbed/etc, it's safe. Cast first, rest later

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 07:58 AM CST
709 is your friend. Should be the first spell cast unless you need 703 to prevent a caster first. 709 will prevent most maneuvers if your opponent is on the ground and will usually stop them from attacking as most opponents will attempt to stand up first.

Youre going to have bad luck about once a level though.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 11:23 AM CST
Also 716 and using mana spellup would mean you aren't missing out on the new buffs. There's been a lot of changes to spell circles in the last 10 years and you are missing out on a lot of new stuff.
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 11:31 AM CST
I'm curious as to what spell you had for your Cloak of Shadows retribution, given that the Boar was immune to it. More often than not I use Pain(711), so that there is a chance the critter is put into roundtime.

Avaia, player of
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 12:40 PM CST
Directed to Starchitin...

Encumbrance has always been my bane, which I kept pointing out to Thalior\Lewis years ago on GEnie when he wanted to drag me to hold boxes when he killed stuff. lol I basically don't pick up boxes with anyone and as soon as I hit light to somewhat encumbrance I'm heading in.Always been that way, I have one character out of ten that picks up boxes. heh. As to training, I was x2 perception but I'm currently x1. I'm x1 PF as well. I'm at 51 ranks of Demonology Lore, 15 of Necro, x2 Spell Aim, 20 ranks in Elemental Lore, 20 ranks in Spirit Lore. I tend to step out of the room if there are two or more in the location. Though I'm again getting comfortable "sometimes" handling two.

I've had a few good hunts, I'm using Curse 715 in offensive stance on boars when they come in, that appears to be the most useful. Then since they're cursed mana expenditure wise two casts of Focused Maelstrom works well. One round or two and they die, this goes for Ogres and Vipers as well I'm finding now. With Ogres and Viper's I'm using 706 Mind Jolt with great success when I first see em. I t4end to be a cautious hunter, always have been.

I'm just torn on how common the maneuvers are and I'm trying to figure out if training in CM would mitigate that. Again I tend to not be encumbered and if I am I'm ringing/130-ing out. I'm also trying to figure out if stance plays a roll in dealing with these maneuvers like some of the older critters used to be and how Pookas still are when it comes to their stare/pity attack. Anyhow thanks for replying, I'm starting to catch on/catch up...

Directed to AllenM20...

I really prefer Offense cast Curse honestly over 709, it lasts longer, keeps them falling down longer so that my Maelstrom can be more effective. Also I don't have to worry about grasping anyone else.

Directed to Rathboner...

Great advice, I just discovered that last night!!! :) So now I have that up as well as putting 735 on my staff and armor. These two spells are helping quite a bit. I'm totally overwhelmed with all the new stuff for each of the classes that I often play, I'll be honest on that. ;)

Directed to Avaia...

I made the error of putting Mind Jolt on Cloak at first, but now I'm running Web though I think Pain might be the better choice. :)

To everyone who posted, sincerely, my thanks for posting advice. I was feeling really frustrated when I posted originally, but after hitting the wiki yesterday and reading and reading and doing more reading and then doing some testing versus lower level critters I'm feeling better. I've done hmm five or six hunts now in Maaghara Tower area with much better results. Feels as if you better disable quickly before they can do anything or you might be in trouble which is a pain in the backside but it's at least manageable.

Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 01:25 PM CST
>I basically don't pick up boxes with anyone

He doesn't. I can't believe I share a bed with this man. I am practically incapable of leaving a box behind. Like, I'll ring back at clear to dump boxes in a locker because leaving them behind SEEMS WRONG!!

~Heathyr
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 01:50 PM CST
FIXED! >> Like, I'll ring back at clear to dump boxes in a locker because leaving them behind IS WRONG!!

-- Robert

>channel my maul
You channel at a hefty mithril maul.
You make an astoundingly inept attempt! Success!
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 03:57 PM CST
LOL

~Heathyr
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 05:42 PM CST
<I'm also trying to figure out if stance plays a roll in dealing with these maneuvers like some of the older critters used to be and how Pookas still are when it comes to their stare/pity attack.>

It does, try to stay in defensive or guarded as much as possible. If you haven't hit on this page, it breaks down how maneuvers work: https://gswiki.play.net/Standard_maneuver_roll

I hunted in the Citadel when my sorcerer was that level, but I can't help but wonder if 708 wouldn't be a less mana intensive and safer way of dealing with boars (since you wouldn't have to go into offensive).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/08/2020 10:58 PM CST

I tried using 708 a bit but they kept getting back up so I figured it wasn't mana cost effective. If it's one critter Curse works well in stance offensive. It's been a bit crazy there today though and I've been making frequent use of 709, which has worked damn well. Thanks for the reminder about the SMR, I'd meant to go back and reread it now that I've been back a month. Only so much information you can absorb before you need to take a break and work the game experience before going back and reading again.

Anyhow, was a good day of hunting off and on today, no deaths and I was able to fry frequently. Now to figure out how to deal with those damn greater bog mosquitos cause their a PITA. I tried a focused implosion to limited success. lol. Off to go reread the SMR link. :)

J
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/29/2020 08:36 AM CST
I had a blast on Teras for my 60's. Wind wraiths are super easy quick fry, poor though. Massive Pyrohags had decent treasure, will tide you over for the early 60's, and make great animates to use against everything else. Fire sprites and eventually mages were pretty rich. 703 mages immediately and 709, let your animate get the killing blow.
Re: Advice where to hunt as a 60th level sorcerer. 02/29/2020 04:57 PM CST

If your issue is boars specifically, easy remedy--just hunt on the treetop in the same area. You'll only have to deal with vipers and ogres, boars can't get up there. Boars are also susceptible to 711 if you need a safe way of killing them.