Trap rolls 02/21/2022 11:54 AM CST
Normally when you disarm a trap or pick a lock you see the results. Even when you roll a 1 on picking or when the lockpick snaps. I'd forgotten that you don't when you blow a trap. Can we have that put in so that we can see how badly we blew it to set it off? I feels inconstant that we normally see the number unless we blow the trap.

You remove a scratched modwir box from in your black leather cape.
s>Disarm my box
You carefully begin to examine a scratched modwir box for traps...
Feeling around the inside of the lock, you notice that the casing is coated with a rough, grainy substance. You lean forward and peer between the walls of the casing. Examining the lock closely, you notice a small bladder filled with a strange liquid wedged between the tumblers. With your face this close to the lock, you pick up the faintest scent of sulphur.
It looks like an extremely difficult trap (about -228).
You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 6 sec.
>
Most difficult lock picked: -605
Most difficult trap disarmed: -235
>
s>LMaster Focus
You focus intently on your picking and disarm skill.
Roundtime: 3 sec.
sR>Disarm my box
Having discovered a trap on the box you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...
You feel like you've made a miserable attempt (d100=16).
The darn thing is built too tightly. You can't seem to get the trap disarmed without setting it off by accident!
You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
>
sR>Disarm my box
Having discovered a trap on the box you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...
You feel like you've made a competent attempt (d100=67).
You are not able to disarm the trap but you get a sense that you could have had it with a little more luck.
Roundtime: 8 sec.
sR>
s>
Wizard gestures at you.
You become calm and focused.
s>Disarm my box
Something just went horribly awry!
While attempting to scrape away the rough, grainy substance that lines the walls of the casing, your file slips and jars against the interior of the lock just hard enough to give off a single spark. Just as the spark comes to life, a strong scent of sulphur reaches your nostrils. You have enough time to gasp in shock, as two volatile substances meet and ignite into a stream of fire which issues forth from the lock! Your body is savagely immolated by the flames!
You become solid again.
The deep blue glow leaves you.
You lose your extra internal fortitude.
The focused look leaves you.
The glowing specks of energy surrounding you suddenly shoot off in all directions, then quickly fade away.
The air about you stops shimmering.
You feel your extra strength departing.
The silvery luminescence fades from around you.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting you begins to falter, then completely fades away.
The bright luminescence fades from around you.
Your breathing becomes more shallow.
The dim aura fades from around you.
The powerful look leaves you.
The light blue glow leaves you.
The brilliant luminescence fades from around you.
You feel your forehead pulse as your mind relaxes.
You no longer feel so dextrous.
You return to normal color.
You notice your blood flow go back to normal.
The misty halo fades from you.
Like sand through an hourglass, your visions of the future slip away and fade from your mind.
It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...
You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.
...departing in 10 mins...
DEAD>

Re: Trap rolls 02/22/2022 05:15 AM CST
>Something just went horribly awry!

This is the fumble message (d100=1)

The exact mechanics for when a fumble sets off a trap has never been released, but if you aren't disarming it on a 67, expect to get blown up on a 1. Even if it wasn't the wizard's fault you rolled a 1, blame them anyway! Othercast lore is liable to be a lot worse than lm focus.
Re: Trap rolls 02/22/2022 09:54 AM CST

@Rathboner, thanks for the reply Rathboner. It's just any annoyance and inconsistency with the system that has existed since the deICEing. Don't ask me if we saw back in the 92-95 time period or not, I can't recall and since I no longer have all those old files I can't go back and look.

I was just hoping that GM Najin would consider having it out in the open and not hidden any longer.
Re: Trap rolls 02/22/2022 10:29 AM CST
From the bits and pieces I've seen over the years about it, I'm pretty sure that result is not related to the d100 roll.. and might actually be determined before the d100 ever happens. Regardless, I'm just happy it happens way less often then fumbling a CS spell.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.