Locksmith Pool Bug 07/11/2021 03:17 PM CDT
I was distracted picking and picked through a springs trap. I did not actually get 400,532 silvers, just a messaging issue. Log below.

>ask mer about job
Rhind says, "Ah, here we are. The client is offering a tip of 310 silvers and mentioned it being from a sea nymph (level 2). The strongbox is set up on the table for you. When you're finished, ASK me to CHECK your work."
>disarm stron
You carefully begin to examine Baelhar's strongbox for traps...

After carefully examining the lock, you move on to the hinges of the strongbox. Just as you were to pass the strongbox off as safe, you notice what appears to be the ends of springs incorporated with the hinges. Seems rather odd to have a strongbox designed to spring open when it is unlocked.

It looks like a very basic trap (-26).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
R>get lock from my kit
You remove a diamond-edged black vaalin lockpick from in your tool kit.
>pick strong
With a casual motion, you twirl your black vaalin lockpick around your index finger, catching it between thumb and forefinger before applying it to the lock of Baelhar's strongbox...
You make a talented attempt (d100=86).
You struggle with the strongbox. As you do, you get a sense that the strongbox has a rudimentary lock (-45 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It opens!
You jump back a little as the lid of the strongbox flies open! You close your eyes involuntarily as a tongue of liquid hurtles at your face from inside the strongbox! You feel an excruciating burning sensation on your face and neck, causing you to scream in pain!
Rhind says, "Well, that's one way to open a box. Here's your payment of 400,532 silvers."
Rhind says, "You aren't working on a job."

- Andreas
Re: Locksmith Pool Bug 07/12/2021 10:43 AM CDT
So you cant pick around traps anymore? I understand things have changed over the years but we used to pick around traps all the time except for when scarabs were introduced. It put some excitement in picking. I gave boxes back all the time and told the customer to be careful, it was still trapped.
Re: Locksmith Pool Bug 07/12/2021 12:42 PM CDT
<So you cant pick around traps anymore?>

I remember locksmiths talking about this back in the day, but it hasn't been a thing as long as I've had a picking rogue.... who was rolled up the day the gnomish races were released, which would be when switch from GS3 to GS4 occurred.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Locksmith Pool Bug 07/12/2021 01:22 PM CDT
Thanks. It was a thing back in 2001, when i left, so i guess like you said, it was changed since then.
Re: Locksmith Pool Bug 07/12/2021 03:09 PM CDT
Sure, you can still pick around the same traps you used to be based on my experience. You never were able to pick around all the traps.

- Andreas
Re: Locksmith Pool Bug 09/23/2021 10:27 PM CDT
I have picked around a trap before, but a very easy trap. in the last year or so.