Calipers Update 06/02/2021 01:22 AM CDT
We reviewed calipers due to a bug and determined that the mechanic that caused the maximum bonus of calipers to occasionally degrade with use was no longer a necessary one. The current bonus of calipers will still lower with use and you are still required to calibrate them to restore that bonus but no longer will calibrating them have a chance to lower their maximum bonus. This change will retroactively apply to your calipers upon your next use of LMASTER CALIBRATE and you will encounter the following message one time to indicate the maximum bonus of your calipers has been restored to their standard off-the-shelf value:

>> You notice an overlooked alignment issue and are able to address it. The issue was large enough that you feel further calibration may be needed. You commit the issue to memory to prevent a future occurrence.

Please note: You will only encounter that middle sentence if your calipers had degraded by a significant amount prior to this update.

> Meraki – Greek Word of the day – Doing something with love, passion, and a lot of soul. It is what happens when you leave a piece of yourself (your soul, creativity, or love) in your work.
Re: Calipers Update 06/02/2021 03:57 PM CDT
Thank you Meraki!

I knew calipers degraded, but I didn't know they would be permanently lowered over time!

Question...

Is this "maximum bonus" a bonus to picking or to the accuracy of seeing the lock?
Re: Calipers Update 06/02/2021 05:34 PM CDT
>> Please note: You will only encounter that middle sentence if your calipers had degraded by a significant amount prior to this update.

I am assuming that the chance for the maximum bonus to degrade must have been relatively low? I have been using the same set of calipers for many years and yet did not receive the correction message when I recalibrated them. I will note that I have been fairly diligent in keeping my calipers near "glowing with calibration" status.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: Calipers Update 06/02/2021 05:35 PM CDT
Also - thanks for this change! I have several characters with customized calipers and am glad to hear that they won't one day need to be replaced with a new set due to bonus degradation.

-- Robert

>> A mongrel kobold points at you and yells, "Mine! Chasin!"
Re: Calipers Update 06/02/2021 08:42 PM CDT
>> I knew calipers degraded, but I didn't know they would be permanently lowered over time!
>> I am assuming that the chance for the maximum bonus to degrade must have been relatively low?

It was a fairly rare occurrence and likely had gone unnoticed by most.

>> Is this "maximum bonus" a bonus to picking or to the accuracy of seeing the lock?

The calipers are a tool used to measure lock sizes.

>> Also - thanks for this change! I have several characters with customized calipers and am glad to hear that they won't one day need to be replaced with a new set due to bonus degradation.

:)

> Meraki – Greek Word of the day – Doing something with love, passion, and a lot of soul. It is what happens when you leave a piece of yourself (your soul, creativity, or love) in your work.
Re: Calipers Update 06/03/2021 02:36 AM CDT
"The calipers are a tool used to measure lock sizes." -- Meraki

..but what's the bonus aspect that (used to) degrade? The accuracy in getting a correct lock size?
Re: Calipers Update 06/03/2021 03:45 AM CDT
>> ..but what's the bonus aspect that (used to) degrade? The accuracy in getting a correct lock size?

The accuracy of your caliper readings are based on multiple things. How calibrated they are matters. Prior to the update, the maximum calibration bonus they could be calibrated up to was able to degrade. The caliper's current calibration bonus can still lower and raise through the same means it always has.

Re: Calipers Update 06/03/2021 03:24 PM CDT
Okay, just making sure I understand :)
Re: Calipers Update 06/07/2021 05:33 AM CDT
>We reviewed calipers due to a bug

The accuracy being much worse at -300 than it was at -1300? This looks to have been fixed but I've only seen locks near the edge of the region where measurement was wonky so far. Measurement seems fine at -395 and it was somewhat degraded before though not as bad as -300 locks were.
I suspect my calipers got a small improvement, but they didn't trigger the badly out of tune message.
Re: Calipers Update 07/08/2021 03:34 AM CDT
> The accuracy being much worse at -300 than it was at -1300? This looks to have been fixed [...] ~RATHBONER

It was actually a different bug (calipers so far degraded they were unusable AND unable to be calibrated) that prompted the review. I was going to ask further about the bug you mentioned but in the same breath you mentioned it appears to have been fixed already.

> I suspect my calipers got a small improvement, but they didn't trigger the badly out of tune message.

That was one reason I included the badly out of tune message, to let folks know if their calipers fell into the exceptionally degraded group or not. I was hoping the transparency would be helpful. :)