Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 02:29 PM CDT
Can the GM in charge please check lock ranges on Level 60 locks? I am frequently getting locks in the 900+ range.

The worker says, "Ah, here we are. The client is offering a tip of 490 silvers and mentioned it being from a supple Ivasian inciter (level 69). The chest is set up on the table for you. When you're finished, ASK me to CHECK your work."
s>
[tpick]>look on #211953
On the wooden table you see xxxxxxx chest.
s>
[tpick: Found your box/plinite! Name: chest, ID: 159447813, tip: 490, critter name: supple Ivasian inciter, critter level: 69]
[tpick]>detect #159447813
You carefully begin to examine xxxxxxx chest for traps...

Peering closely into the lock, you spy a tiny translucent scarab wedged into the lock mechanism. The scarab's shell is etched on the back with a large eye that seems to shift lazily about.

It looks like an amazingly difficult trap (about -397).

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
sR>
[tpick]>disarm #159447813
Having discovered a trap on the chest you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

You feel like you've made a miserable attempt (d100=16).

You are not able to disarm the trap but you get a sense that you could have had it with a little more luck.

You still have a good enough picture of the trap in your mind, that you could try to disarm it.
Roundtime: 10 sec.
sR>
[tpick]>disarm #159447813
Having discovered a trap on the chest you begin to carefully attempt to disarm it...

You feel like you've made a poor attempt (d100=38).

You carefully nudge the scarab free of its prison without disturbing the lock too much. The scarab falls from the lock and onto the ground in front of you.

Roundtime: 7 sec.
sR>
[tpick: Disarming scarab.]
s>
[tpick]>disarm #159450498
s>
[tpick]>get #159450498
s>
You carefully begin to examine the scarab for traps...

Knowing how delicate magical runes can be, you carefully scrape a few extra lines into the markings, hoping to alter their meaning and defeat the spell they may hold.

*scritch scritch* If that had been any easier, you could have done it blindfolded.
s>
You pick up an etched translucent scarab.
s>
[tpick]>stow #159450498
s>
You put an etched translucent scarab in your cloak.
s>
[tpick: Critter level is 69, using a invar lockpick based on your settings.]
[tpick]>get #159033600
You remove a bone-handled dark invar lockpick from in your cloak.
s>
[tpick]>pick #159447813
You settle into the difficult task of picking the lock.
You make a lame attempt (d100=21).
You are not able to pick the lock, but you get a feeling that it is within your abilities.
Roundtime: 19 sec.
sR>
[tpick: Messaging indicates you can open this box with current lockpick, according to your settings you want to try same lockpick again.]

The scintillating light fades from your hands.
s>
[tpick]>pick #159447813
You make a talented attempt (d100=88).
You are not able to pick the lock, and learn little about it.
sR>
The focused look leaves you.
sR>
[tpick: You rolled: 88, your Lock Roll setting: 50. Trying next pick.]
s>
[tpick]>put #159033600 in #159033577
You put a bone-handled dark invar lockpick in your cloak.
s>
[tpick: Couldn't pick lock with invar pick, trying alum pick.]
[tpick]>get #159033599
You remove a pearl-etched thin alum lockpick from in your cloak.
s>
[tpick]>pick #159447813
You make a talented attempt (d100=86).
Your lockpick gets stuck in the lock! You carefully try to work it free but end up bending the tip!
sR>
sR>
[tpick: This pick doesn't seem to be cutting it, going to try a different one.]
[tpick]>put #159033599 in #159033577
You put a pearl-etched thin alum lockpick in your cloak.
s>
[tpick: All of your golvern lockpicks seem to be broken, trying a higher tier lockpick.]
[tpick: All of your kelyn lockpicks seem to be broken, trying a higher tier lockpick.]
[tpick: Couldn't pick lock with kelyn pick, trying vaalin pick.]
[tpick]>get #159033578
You remove a diamond-edged black vaalin lockpick from in your cloak.
s>
[tpick]>pick #159447813
You make a passable attempt (d100=48).
Your lockpick gets stuck in the lock! You carefully try to work it free, but it may have been weakened by the stress.
sR>
[tpick: A vaalin pick doesn't seem to be cutting it alone, going to try 403.]
[tpick]>put #159033578 in #159033577
You put a diamond-edged black vaalin lockpick in your cloak.
s>
s>
[tpick: Trying to pick with vaalin lockpick again.]
[tpick]>get #159033578
Throrgeir just went out.
s>
You remove a diamond-edged black vaalin lockpick from in your cloak.
s>
[tpick]>incant 403
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Lock Pick Enhancement spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A scintillating light surrounds your hands.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
s>
[ Lock Pick Enhancement: +0:01:51, 0:01:50 remaining. ]
[tpick]>pick #159447813
You make an excellent attempt (d100=90).
You struggle with the chest. As you do, you get a sense that the chest has an extremely complex lock (-1045 thief-lingo difficulty ranking). Then...CLICK! It opens!
s>

On a level 69 lock. This should not happen.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 04:10 PM CDT
"The scintillating light fades from your hands." This message is important. You might want to highlight it. You might break a pick if you don't react to it or a lot of picks if you aren't paying attention while using a script that ignores it.

1045 is unusually high but not impossibly high for a like level smith. You need to know your critters, not just their level, a critter's level is a pretty poor guide to the lock size. Icemule has several critters whose locks are tough but not impossible at like level. Its a feature of the area.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 04:18 PM CDT
What do you mean....for a like level smith? Like if its a level 69 lock vs a level 69 picker? Ill admit i have been gone for a very long time and only back a few months but from the locks i have done since i have been back, everything seems to be in order according to levels, even though you said levels is a bad guide. 50's are staying in their range, 70's are, 80's are and so on. 60's is the only one i have seen to be what i consider way out of wack. I dont recall seeing a 70 or an 80 hit over 1000 but im sure it has. 60's are just consitantly higher than they should be, in my opinion.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 05:42 PM CDT
>What do you mean....for a like level smith? Like if its a level 69 lock vs a level 69 picker?

2x+lore is supposed to cover 95% of like level boxes. That one is in the 5% that needs more. The occasional critter generating boxes that would be too tough for 2x+lore but not 3x+lore is a feature. The general impression you'll get is set by the other 95% but you are supposed to get caught out occasionally if you treat it as 100%. Critters tend to have fairly narrow ranges, so its a few critters that are noticeably hard for level rather than all critters generating an occasional box that is noticeably hard.

If the designer of the Den thought that there weren't enough tough lock critters in the game, and that it was time to add a new one, I wouldn't disagree. I suspect its actually somewhat less than 5% pre-cap.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 08:16 PM CDT
<a critter's level is a pretty poor guide to the lock size.>

This. There are a lot of critters out there that have boxes with high or low difficulty for their level. Krag yeti (70) have boxes that tend to be similar difficulty to level 40ish critters, moor witches (34) are comparable to critters in the high 40's, minotaurs (74-76) tend to have the most difficult boxes outside bowels and capped areas.....

<I dont recall seeing a 70 or an 80 hit over 1000>

Minotaurs definitely go over 1000 routinely, I've even seen the occasional one above 1100. They're what finally convinced my 3x picking rogue to pick up 403/404. Keep in mind that the pool is only giving you boxes you're capable of picking, if you go hunt them you'll see a much bigger range from them.

<2x+lore is supposed to cover 95% of like level boxes. That one is in the 5% that needs more. The occasional critter generating boxes that would be too tough for 2x+lore but not 3x+lore is a feature.>

Very much this.... and the OP is getting up to a level where 3x pickers are expected to have lore rather then being the exception. Once a rogue hits 70ish, there will be more and more like level boxes a 2x picker won't be able to pick on their own because there need to be boxes that will challenge 3x pickers. Lores are too expensive for most 3x smiths to pick up below 70, but by that point it's possible without too many sacrifices... so that needs to be taken into account for box drops. I'd say roughly half the like level boxes I've gotten between 90 and 96 I wouldn't be able to pick if I were 2x in picking skills.

A side note for the OP: I notice you don't use calipers, if you use them and keep them calibrated they'll save you a lot of time and broken picks.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/19/2021 09:02 PM CDT
No, i dont use calipers. In my opinion they were the worst item ever introduced to the rogues and in the guild. I have 4 ranks in LM and will never ever train in it again. I have my own narrow views on LM.

I havent dont a lot in this game, i really havent but what i have done is boxes. Tens of thousands of them over the years and im sure there are many others who have done the same. Just saying in my experience, level 60 locks should not be running in the 900 to over 1000 range. I am a full 3x trained level 81 picker and when i have to 403, quite often, to get a level 60 lock, then in my opinion its out of wack. Level 60 locks are the only ones i have seen issues (in my opinion) with.

I do agree the pool only gives me locks i can do and i appreciate that. I even appreciate getting a box i cant do though my character hates it. Its the pool that brought me back to the game and im grateful for it.

Just my opinion.
Re: Level 60 locks 04/20/2021 08:06 AM CDT
My (then high-50s) Thief was able to pick yeti (low 70s?) boxes just fine, but Illoke Stronghold boxes (62-65?) would routinely snap his picks. You want convenience to the Landing, you pay for it with greater danger [stone fist] and difficulty of profit [picking boxes].
Re: Level 60 locks 06/02/2021 10:33 AM CDT

You are welcome to your own opinion, of course, but if you haven't tried LM since a) the pool, and b) the overall guild updates for ranks and reps, I encourage you to try it again.

My opinion of calipers is opposite yours, even as I just started picking on my own rogue a few months ago. Matching the proper pick to the box is something a precise rogue would do (for my character). OOC, it maxes experience, protects my picks, and matches what a bard can do with a loresong.

LM would probably be even easier for you as you already know the level range of boxes for critters.

Your character is up to you, of course, but the availability of the pool and the other changes make LM 10-20x easier than it was before. (I didn't do it myself, but helped a friend with the boxes, traps, stockpiles, sorting, locker storage, loresinging locks... just helping was a massive effort. That was ~15 years ago).