change request...to the lock pool 03/21/2021 12:08 PM CDT
I would like to see a way, to move a box you aren't sure you can disarm somewhere you won't blow up the area that're you're in. OR endanger everyone around you. OR change it to where it's an inherent danger to be in the area of people picking. So you don't get sent to jail automatically for blowing up a trap. 99% of us who blow a trap, don't intend to.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/21/2021 06:21 PM CDT
<I would like to see a way, to move a box you aren't sure you can disarm somewhere you won't blow up the area that're you're in. OR endanger everyone around you>

Has anyone actually harmed someone other then themself by triggering a trap while picking the pool?

I've accidentally set off a couple sphere traps and at least one scales sulfur trap when there were others present and none of them affected anyone but me... though I was arrested every time. The first couple times I thought it was a lucky fluke, but it's gotten to the point I've been wondering if there's a safety mechanism built into the pool to prevent boxes in it from harming anyone other then the one assigned to pick them.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/21/2021 08:45 PM CDT
Yes, and been banished twice from the landing so far for blowing up traps in the East tower. I'm currently working on Teras, because I can't sell anything in the Landing, because even though my banishment has been lifted, i'm still seen as criminal. :( I'm a capped rogue, and max trained in picking and disarming. Not sure the rest of my training is perfect, but usually when I blow a trap, it's because I forget to disarm it again.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/22/2021 12:32 AM CDT
<usually when I blow a trap, it's because I forget to disarm it again.>

Yea, this is my problem as well... or I get the lockpick in my hand to disarm a sphere and muscle memory makes me pick rather than disarm. Why I pick the pool in towns and at times no one else is... everyone else's scroll distracts me and I lose track of where I am in the process.

Interesting that you're hitting others and I'm not.... I must have just been lucky several times in a row.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/22/2021 05:55 AM CDT
Some traps can affect bystanders--scales, pretty sure boomers, the ever-popular FireStorm--but most are only harmful to the locksmith involved.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/22/2021 06:08 AM CDT
<Some traps can affect bystanders--scales, pretty sure boomers, the ever-popular FireStorm--but most are only harmful to the locksmith involved.>

Yes, the traps I was referring to were specifically traps that can affect others.... which I mentioned in my first response. One doesn't master LM without becoming intimately familiar with what happens when the different traps are triggered.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/23/2021 03:04 PM CDT
I've given up on understanding why something happens or doesn't happen. :) as long as i'm able to disarm them, i'm happy.

I'm like you, I get out a lockpick to disarm a sphere, and instead of tried to pick it. That's been one of the major ones i've done. Knock on wood, so far I haven't set off a scales trap recently
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/23/2021 05:42 PM CDT
I have a big red splodge of background highlight for messages that tell me I've just found a trap, and a big green splodge of background highlight for when its clean. I've found this pretty effective at stopping me from picking traps that I have spotted but not disarmed. The other thing I do is spam "get dagger" in the RT after spotting a scales trap so that its there in my command buffer even though there's a couple more steps before I actually need it.
Re: change request...to the lock pool 03/23/2021 05:54 PM CDT
<Knock on wood, so far I haven't set off a scales trap recently>

I've always been so paranoid about handing back scales trap boxes without disarming them that I've only done it maybe 6 times in 20 years.... but I have gotten so caught up in my routine that I accidentally tried to hand a couple of them back to the pool without disarming first. Turns out they won't let you do that without inputting the command twice!

So, as long as you're picking at the pool, it looks like the only way to set them off is to make a really poor attempt or fumble them.

Starchitin, the OG