Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/02/2021 10:50 AM CST
As of yesterday there has been a change with the locksmithing pool that has increased the max difficulty of locks and traps that you can be offered. I've had a large number of boxes with traps and locks that are slightly (but significantly) higher than what I can disarm or pick with lore and a 100 roll. Was this an intentional change?
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/02/2021 11:43 AM CST
Aside from whatever script/formula you're using to determine your max possible trap/lock possibly being flawed (if you're using LMASTER APPRAISE, that isn't 100% accurate, I've picked locks with higher difficulty then that indicates I should be able to), there are two things that could be causing your problem:

-Your picks might not be fresh. Just because they haven't been broken/repaired, doesn't mean they haven't been degraded. Every time they get stuck in the lock their multiplier goes down a little whether they break or not.

-You're getting lore from someone else or from a scroll/imbed. If you're getting lore from a scroll or imbed you're only getting 50-90% effectiveness of the lore, if someone else is casting it there will be a further reduction.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/02/2021 08:05 PM CST

I haven't made a mistake and I'm not new to this. I'm using better than average vaalin lockpicks and getting locks offered that would require an open roll of 200 to pick. MORESO I'm receiving traps that require large open rolls as well. Self cast lore.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/02/2021 08:52 PM CST
<< As of yesterday there has been a change with the locksmithing pool that has increased the max difficulty of locks and traps that you can be offered. I've had a large number of boxes with traps and locks that are slightly (but significantly) higher than what I can disarm or pick with lore and a 100 roll. Was this an intentional change? >>

That happened to me yesterday as well. I got a box that with lore I couldn't get a read on and I rolled a 91.

Josh
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/02/2021 08:53 PM CST
<< -Your picks might not be fresh. Just because they haven't been broken/repaired, doesn't mean they haven't been degraded. Every time they get stuck in the lock their multiplier goes down a little whether they break or not.

-You're getting lore from someone else or from a scroll/imbed. If you're getting lore from a scroll or imbed you're only getting 50-90% effectiveness of the lore, if someone else is casting it there will be a further reduction. >>

I use a morphing pick that repairs itself and as this is in Plat, I was the only one present using self-cast lore. I think something probably went into effect in the background yesterday and it caused/is causing some wonkiness.

Josh
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 02:48 PM CST
> As of yesterday there has been a change with the locksmithing pool that has increased the max difficulty of locks and traps that you can be offered. I've had a large number of boxes with traps and locks that are slightly (but significantly) higher than what I can disarm or pick with lore and a 100 roll. Was this an intentional change?

This should be fixed now. Part of the Player System Manager Phase 3 (that's a mouthful) updates got rolled out on accident. TLDR: Rogues were getting a LMASTER FOCUS, but you obviously can't use that yet since it's not live.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 05:04 PM CST
"Player System Manager Phase 3 (that's a mouthful)" -- Naijin

I dub this, "P-SuMP" (and the appropriate 1/2/3).
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 05:05 PM CST
Nice one, KrakMeister.

Cheers,
Dely ;)
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 07:10 PM CST
<< This should be fixed now. Part of the Player System Manager Phase 3 (that's a mouthful) updates got rolled out on accident. TLDR: Rogues were getting a LMASTER FOCUS, but you obviously can't use that yet since it's not live. >>

So I'm not active in the guild over in Plat, yet I got given a much higher box than I could pick. Is it intended that inactive rogues get that bonus?

Josh
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 07:36 PM CST
Considering that the system takes into account what your max lock could be if you used the best lockpick and if you know 403/404, even if not currently active, I would assume it also knows that you "could" use LMASTER FOCUS, you just don't currently because you're inactive, but you did unlock it. You don't have to buy high end lockpicks just like you don't have to pay guild fees to be active in the guild. But the system is going to take into account that you COULD buy a max bonus lockpick and you COULD pay your fees to be active in the rogue guild and have access to LMASTER FOCUS that you already unlocked. Least that's what I would of done. Looks like it's time to go pay your guild monthly dues.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 07:37 PM CST
This is assuming you all have access to the new PSM 3.0 system over there in plat.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 09:32 PM CST
<< Considering that the system takes into account what your max lock could be if you used the best lockpick and if you know 403/404, even if not currently active, I would assume it also knows that you "could" use LMASTER FOCUS, you just don't currently because you're inactive, but you did unlock it. You don't have to buy high end lockpicks just like you don't have to pay guild fees to be active in the guild. But the system is going to take into account that you COULD buy a max bonus lockpick and you COULD pay your fees to be active in the rogue guild and have access to LMASTER FOCUS that you already unlocked. Least that's what I would of done. Looks like it's time to go pay your guild monthly dues. >>

That doesn't seem right to me. Saying that it takes my LM ranks into account while inactive, because I could re-activate in the future, is like saying that it takes 403 into account because a rogue can learn it in the future. It should only be taking into account what bonuses you currently have.

Josh
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/04/2021 09:34 PM CST
<< This is assuming you all have access to the new PSM 3.0 system over there in plat. >>

I don't see why we wouldn't. They don't generally roll mechanical changes into only one instance. I also had the same issue there, which means that the issue got rolled in over there, which implies we're going to get it.

Josh
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/05/2021 06:34 AM CST
I tried and failed to replicate this issue. Not very hard, because it wasn't that interesting due to having the training to deal with every lock and trap in the game with ease already. So I tried with a bard because there are plenty of boxes that would be too hard. But bards don't get LM so the issue wasn't affecting me.

It did serve to bring one thing into focus though.

Critters should drop harder boxes.

The current top end is 480 on traps and AFAIK 1435 on locks. This is hard enough to make 3x picking worth training, but not hard enough to make any of the bonuses that have been added into the game in the last decade worth collecting. Its not hard enough to make 3x disarm worth training, and even mildly penalises top end disarm training by lower experience awards in addition to the opportunity cost of the TPs.

To make the current bonuses worth chasing, I reckon the top end of critter boxes ought to be about 1600/600 at the moment.

Critters designed with ascension in mind should go higher still. Something like 1850/700 for the top end of standard hunting and the top end ascended invasion box ought to be around 2100/800 (more if there are more yet to be revealed bonuses in higher Tiers).
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/10/2021 12:51 PM CST

Thanks mate. Highly appreciated.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/15/2021 02:23 PM CDT

We are still seeing this in the Plat instance, so I am not sure if this got fixed there or not. I'm breaking picks on 75+ endrolls and failing to get reads with lore on 91+ endrolls. I've had several 98-99 rolls that didnt produce a read.

Please give it a look, time permitting.

Thank you

Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/15/2021 02:42 PM CDT
There seems to be a new issue, possibly to do with being expected to use other methods such as wedge or popping if you have the training for higher limits on those than lockpicking.
Re: Locksmithing pool high end difficulty. 03/16/2021 09:26 AM CDT
Yes. I hit the wedge issue last night. The system is reading rogue guild skills that are not usable if you are not active in the guild. It gave me a plated box that I couldn't open and had to pass on.

Josh