disappointed in a major change 01/13/2021 12:29 AM CST
I come in tonight, to pick boxes and see who all I can bug in the East tower. Every 2-3 boxes, i'm getting a message, there are no boxes available for me to pick. Ok, as a capped rogue, it's hard enough to fry, but now I can't even get past clear. I don't expect to fry every day I play, but I expect to get beyond clear. It was bad enough when you could predict about every 15 minutes being stuck in the corner, to wait to pick more boxes. But this is even worse!! There were 3-5 of us picking, and we all would end up waiting for more boxes at the same time. Thank you!!
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/13/2021 05:08 AM CST
>I come in tonight, to pick boxes and see who all I can bug in the East tower. Every 2-3 boxes, i'm getting a message, there are no boxes available for me to pick. Ok, as a capped rogue, it's hard enough to fry, but now I can't even get past clear.

The experience per box was dropped shortly after the pool was released, so it now takes a lot more boxes to fry than it used to. There have been a whole lot of changes some of which help and some of which hurt experience per box, but the net effect is less experience per box, and I rarely now even hit numbed off my typical pile, (which is also a bit larger because I know I'm not going to fry off it so I let it build up more before picking them) when frying used to be normal. The pool makes a whole lot more boxes available, but if you are limited by box availability rather than time, its quite a bit worse than it used to be.

The penalty for having experience in your head now bites harder, the less you get from a box, the higher the proportion of it you lose, which also makes getting all the way to fried rather more difficult than the baseline reduction per box would imply.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/13/2021 11:30 AM CST
<which also makes getting all the way to fried rather more difficult than the baseline reduction per box would imply.>

It might be slightly more difficult to get to fried then it used to be, but yesterday was the first time since the pool opened that I wasn't able to stay fried once I got there. Usually I can pick 10-15 boxes when I log in to get fried then relax and pick 2-3 boxes every time I dip below to maintain. I don't know if there were more locksmiths working it than normal, fewer people hunting, or both.... but it def surprised me when I got the "no more boxes for you" more then once. Ended up going and doing other things.

Experience changes or not, the pool has def been a boon for locksmiths though. For years prior to the pool it was difficult to convince people to bring in enough boxes to get above clear and frying from picking for other people almost never happened unless your skills were low enough to get decent exp from >level 30 boxes.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/13/2021 10:25 PM CST
>It might be slightly more difficult to get to fried then it used to be, but yesterday was the first time since the pool opened that I wasn't able to stay fried once I got there. Usually I can pick 10-15 boxes when I log in to get fried then relax and pick 2-3 boxes every time I dip below to maintain. I don't know if there were more locksmiths working it than normal, fewer people hunting, or both.... but it def surprised me when I got the "no more boxes for you" more then once. Ended up going and doing other things.

Immediately when I drop any box into the locksmith pool someone grabs it and unlocks it. It's been a noticeable decrease in wait time for me to have boxes unlocked in the past month or so - which is awesome! On the other hand, that most likely means more locksmiths are parked at the pool locations and picking.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 12:04 AM CST
<On the other hand, that most likely means more locksmiths are parked at the pool locations and picking.>

There are... and I suspect that not all of them are actually at the screen given some talk I've seen about how at least one script was written for it....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 04:06 AM CST
>Usually I can pick 10-15 boxes when I log in to get fried

It used to be 6-8 boxes for me to fry if I was taking time trying to get maximum experience from my boxes rather than picking them for a customer who was waiting for me to finish. I'd still expect to do it inside 15, but not inside 10. It was a 20 point shift in the curve, not a 40 point one. i.e. the award for opening a box that required a roll of 70+ to open now is the same as the award used to be for a box that required a 50+ to open. I can't tell if that is the exact way in which the exp award was cut, but its pretty close to that.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 09:13 AM CST

I don't mind not frying, until the pool, I hadn't fried since before 2014. I'm glad to see we're back to waiting after a certain number of boxes/length of time. I'm capped, frying isn't my goal, my goal is to have fun and avoid blowing up the east tower. Plus, see as many challenging boxes as possible.
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 09:16 AM CST

I don't hunt, one I can't find my way around, and can't get lich to work. Two, I haven't ever really liked hunting. I can go sell off stuff, as I tend to wait till I can't pick a bug to go make a deposit. Thankfully Hearthstone is nearby
Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 09:32 AM CST
<I can go sell off stuff, as I tend to wait till I can't pick a bug to go make a deposit.>

I used to go to the bank and make deposits when I couldn't accept boxes from customers.... now I end up dragging scarabs to the bank cause I can't pick them up till I get rid of my silver.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: disappointed in a major change 01/14/2021 01:02 PM CST
>get rid of my silver

BOOST RUNNER

BANK DEPO #/NOTE/ALL

Profit?

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair