NO MAGIC ROOGUE 12/26/2020 03:03 PM CST
Hi, is it possible to play a rogue straight up? no magics or defensive spells? or is this not viable?
Re: NO MAGIC ROOGUE 12/26/2020 03:10 PM CST
Yes. You'll likely want to put more training into defensive abilities (dodge and shield use) than otherwise normal and along the same lines you will likely want to use a shield for additional defense as well.

But it is very possible and playable.

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: NO MAGIC ROOGUE 12/27/2020 08:04 AM CST
If you really mean no magic at all, you'll want to look at Kroderine Soul, too.

- Andreas
Re: NO MAGIC ROOGUE 01/06/2021 07:06 AM CST
I have played Kretan as a "no magic" rogue... with a couple exceptions:

I use the Lock Lore and Disarm Lore spells.

Kretan is now halfway through level 99 on his way to 100. No spell ups except the odd "drive by" by a well meaning wizard. No magic items (except gold rings - and of course enchanted swords and armor). No scrolls.

I haven't looked into Kroderine Soul much, but I am guessing it isn't compatible with my lock magic exception.

If you do this, you need to become an expert on critter timing. You gotta KNOW which one's act every 4 seconds vs. the one's that act every 5 seconds. Stuff like Grimswarm Orcs and 1 sec faster than Grimswarm trolls. You have to know your weapons strengths and weakness to avoid even giving the critter a chance to even swing or waggle at you.

CMANs are your best friend - Shadow Mastery, Shadow Dance, Vanish, and Subdue... among many others. Stun Maneuver and Sigil of Escape are helpful in emergencies, but generally if you get swung on and didn't dodge it... death.

Of course, I only know about jumping out of the shadows with a single dagger or shortsword.... I know nothing about sniping, unarmed combat, two-weapon.
Re: NO MAGIC ROOGUE 01/06/2021 07:54 AM CST
<Of course, I only know about jumping out of the shadows with a single dagger or shortsword.... I know nothing about sniping, unarmed combat, two-weapon.>

The advice you gave for an OHE ambusher is what's needed for a sniper as well.... and I suspect the other two also. Esp this part: "If you do this, you need to become an expert on critter timing. You gotta KNOW which one's act every 4 seconds vs. the one's that act every 5 seconds. Stuff like Grimswarm Orcs and 1 sec faster than Grimswarm trolls. You have to know your weapons strengths and weakness to avoid even giving the critter a chance to even swing or waggle at you. "

Anyone that claims rogues can't hunt without spells has either never learned how to hunt beyond the basics or puts way more emphasis speed hunting and/or risk taking then is possible without outside spells. My level 93 sniping rogue never uses any spells when hunting other then the occasional white crystal and I've brought him through some of the most difficult pre-cap hunting areas in Elanthia (he's also never been in an armor ASG above brig, btw). The only reason I'm not planning getting KS with him is cause I enjoy lockpicking too much to give up 403/404... but he did recently get a suit of kroderine brig that I use when hunting (bloody pain having to take it off and wait for a pulse every time his CoL signs drop, though).

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.