Trying out a rogue 11/27/2020 07:39 AM CST
Hey all so I made a warrior last night and it wasn’t quite as enjoyable as I expected. Tonight I’m going for a rogue.

I am making a halfling light crossbow user. I’m curious to know if I 3x s&h, 2x a,bush and 2x perception when factoring in the innate halfling bonus as well as the 5% chance to stay hidden. What level would I be where I can reliably shoot from the shadows?

Is 1x combat maneuver generally suggested for bow users? I’m interested in shadow mastery, vanish and shadow dance though it looks like if I 1x I would be almost 60 by the time they are done.

Is there any suggestions to make life easier to begin with?

Thank you in advance.
Re: Trying out a rogue 11/27/2020 08:30 AM CST
Try a wizard. If you found a warrior not worth playing that fast, you aren't going to like a rogue.
Re: Trying out a rogue 11/27/2020 08:53 AM CST
<I am making a halfling light crossbow user. I’m curious to know if I 3x s&h, 2x a,bush and 2x perception when factoring in the innate halfling bonus as well as the 5% chance to stay hidden. What level would I be where I can reliably shoot from the shadows?>

You can start trying at level 15 with unaimed shots if you're hunting living humaniods (orcs, trolls, etc). Around level 20 or slightly above you can start aiming for heads/necks, though you'll prolly struggle with staying in the shadows around non-humaniods. By level 30 or so you should be able to stay in the shadows around all but the most perceptive undead and can start aiming for eyes.... not to long after that even undead will only rarely sniff you out of hiding.

<Is 1x combat maneuver generally suggested for bow users? I’m interested in shadow mastery, vanish and shadow dance though it looks like if I 1x I would be almost 60 by the time they are done.>

1x is fine. If you're planning on training in lockpicking skills you prolly won't be able to afford more then that anyway and, as I'm sure you've noticed, there aren't a huge number of CMANs that aid with ranged. You'll also want to eventually get a couple ranks in DIVERT in addition to the ones you mentioned, it's insanely useful for crowd control. Surge of Strength is also situationally useful, though I wouldn't put it at the top of the priority list.

<Is there any suggestions to make life easier to begin with? >

Consider 3x in Perception. You prolly won't be hurting for SMRv2 defense, but it's cheap for rogues and with those being open rolls you can never have enough defenses against it, IMO.

Also, whether you intend on stopping at double leather or eventually getting into brig (or higher) armor, get enough Armor Use to get at least one or two ranks in Armored Stealth. Even with only one rank in it, I see a noticeable improvement in my ability to stay in the shadows when firing my bow vrs when I forget to put it up.

Lastly, avoid swarms at all costs and time your shots so you can get back into the shadows before the creature can make an action if/when you fall out of them. As a sniper you want to keep engagements at 1 on 1 as much as possible and be in the shadows whenever critters are able to do something. Being stuck in the open in stance offensive will be a death sentence at all levels... and even being in defensive stance in the open will be dangerous as you get up above level 40ish and will be hunting around critters that cast spells. The shadows are your number one defense as a sniper, everything else is a contingency plan you don't want to have to rely on.

Sniping isn't a build for those that favor fast-paced hunting and/or throwing caution to the wind, but it can be quite rewarding for those with the patience to do it effectively.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.