I'm curious 08/27/2020 07:17 PM CDT
So as recently as about a week ago, I finally dropped my first points into multi opponent combat. I had never realized it before, but as I put those points in, I realized the number to the right of MOC was half of the numbers to the right of the skills around it. So we can only single MOC, I thought... Surely there's a good reason they don't let rogues double MOC? Maybe monks don't get to double amb...er, nope, they do, I checked my monk. Well maybe...nope, no good reason I can see. The cost is irrelevant, and tripled stalking and hiding comes nowhere near close to making that balanced design. Why shouldn't rogues, who are a square, be able to double MOC? I'm curious if there's a reason floating around out there...
Re: I'm curious 08/28/2020 04:47 PM CDT
Wait until you find out rogues can't 3x physical fitness.

.jaired
>LIKE A BOSS
Please rephrase that command.
Re: I'm curious 08/28/2020 07:25 PM CDT
Wait what? We can't? Isn't that like, THE core redux skill?
Re: I'm curious 08/29/2020 08:39 AM CDT
> Wait what? We can't? Isn't that like, THE core redux skill?

Rogues are indeed squares but they are not as hardy (as indicated by 2x PF) as Warriors/Monks, or even Empaths. They are also more focused on dispatching enemies one on one (as indicated by their MoC costs), much like Rangers who have similar MoC costs.
Re: I'm curious 08/30/2020 03:13 PM CDT
>"much like Rangers who have similar MoC costs."<

Ha, ha, ha! You are having a little joke, yes?
High level Rangers don't NEED weapon MOC. Ever seen a Ranger clear out a room with Nature's Fury? Rogues have nothing even resembling that.

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: I'm curious 08/30/2020 03:37 PM CDT
<Ever seen a Ranger clear out a room with Nature's Fury? Rogues have nothing even resembling that.>

Divert is a rogue's crowd control. They aren't meant to take on large groups, they're meant to take down single targets or small groups quickly.

A rogue's skills are centered around taking advantage of weaknesses and creating those weaknesses when necessary. Sure there's room for improvement for rogues, but I never did understand the tendency to push for professions to have the abilities of other professions. If the hunting style of a warrior or ranger appeals more, play that profession instead.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: I'm curious 08/30/2020 08:17 PM CDT
>"If the hunting style of a warrior or ranger appeals more, play that profession instead."<

Oh, I do; I have 9 characters, 4 of them capped. My rogue is actually my favorite, especially from an RP standpoint. But she's not nearly as vicious in combat as my spell casters,
however. Although I have worked to change that around a bit by giving her spells. She's up to 425 at this point.

>"Divert is a rogue's crowd control."<

I have tried this; it doesn't work that well in swarmy areas. I divert something from the room, and 2 seconds later it or some other creature wanders back in.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
Re: I'm curious 08/30/2020 09:01 PM CDT
Also, if Divert i supposed to be a rogue's "crowd control", how about having a mass version that affects multiple targets? It could be made available once you had 3 (or more) ranks of the individual version, and cost more stamina.

And why is there a bonus to divert for high charisma? I'd say maybe Wisdom would be a better choice. It shouldn't matter how likable you are, success should depend on
your mental acuity to devise an appropriate ruse.

Re: I'm curious 08/31/2020 08:44 AM CDT
"how about having a mass [Divert] version that affects multiple targets?" -- Throgg

shout Look over there!!!

<flee!>
Re: I'm curious 08/31/2020 06:34 PM CDT
>"shout Look over there!!!"<

Thbbbp!

Seriously; how does Divert work? I am tossing a rock into the next room, or throwing my voice to create a distraction, or some such ruse. All the critters in the room should be aware of what I have done. Hence, it is not unreasonable to have more than one of them react to the stimulus.

If you don't want o go to the trouble of creating a separate CMan, just give the current version the ability to affect more than one target. The chance to do so would increase the more ranks you have in the skill.