Bent lockpicks 06/27/2020 05:19 PM CDT
What's the story here? Does bending a lockpick have any actual effect on it's capabilities? I bent a Vaalin pick last night, and when I used LM appraise
on both that pick and another that was brand new, they both gave the same reading. Never repaired, same picking capability.

Now, I can straighten a bent pick using LM repair; would this then suddenly put the pick in the "repaired once" category, thus degrading its performance?
Would using a bent pick make it more likely to actually break?

"So, what does that green line on the graph represent?"
"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
we use that as a baseline for determining character alignment."
Re: Bent lockpicks 06/27/2020 05:23 PM CDT
LM APPRAISE isn't 100% accurate.

A bent lockpick lowers performance.
Re: Bent lockpicks 06/27/2020 06:00 PM CDT
OK, if LM appraise isn't totally accurate, what is the margin of error? More to the point, how much does bending a pick
lower it's performance? If LM appraise can't distinguish between the two, then it seems to me that the degradation is probably minimal.
I have been using the bent pick, and just eyeballing the end rolls needed for the various locks, there doesn't seem to be much change.

"Oh, that's the projection of a hypothetical offspring from a union between Sauron and Cruella de Ville;
Re: Bent lockpicks 06/28/2020 01:17 AM CDT
>What's the story here? Does bending a lockpick have any actual effect on it's capabilities? I bent a Vaalin pick last night, and when I used LM appraise
on both that pick and another that was brand new, they both gave the same reading. Never repaired, same picking capability.

Bending has a small effect. Repairing has a large effect. i.e. repairing a bent pick is a normally a bad idea. (there are a couple reasons you might want to do it on bent picks that are badly beaten up, but not on a almost fresh one)
Re: Bent lockpicks 06/28/2020 10:09 AM CDT
Ah! I had suspected that might be th case, so I did not in fact repair it. Thanks for the info.