LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 01:42 PM CDT
A few updates have been made for lockpicks:

1) Masters of the Lock Mastery (Rogue) guild skill may now use LMASTER RESTORE on a favored lockpick once per calendar month to restore it to its original condition. This removes any effects from breaking and repairing the pick. Lockpicks crafted (by players) henceforth will be restored to their originally crafted statistics. Lockpicks that were crafted prior to this change will be restored to the statistics at the time of this update. Lockpicks obtained from merchants and shops will be restored to the statistics that are standard for their material. Completely broken lockpicks must still first be LMASTER REPAIRed before being LMASTER RESTOREd.

2) LM keyrings will now hold their lockpicks (and keys) completely weightlessly. Previously, they had received only a modest reduction in encumbrance.

3) Lockpicks now have a standard weight of one tenth (0.1) of a pound down from half (0.5) of a pound.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 02:06 PM CDT
>lm app my lock
You examine the vaalin lockpick very closely. It appears to be in good condition. It seems to have an incredible level of precision and is incredibly strong. As far as you can tell, the lockpick has never been repaired. You could probably handle an astoundingly complex lock (1160-1195) pretty easily with it.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

>lm restore my lock
With a master's touch and in a rare moment of inspiration, you go about reshaping the vaalin lockpick. You manipulate the tip into a perfect curve and smooth away every blemish. After a moment, a pale grey vaalin lockpick with an ebonwood handle is in like-new condition!
Roundtime: 20 sec.

>lm app my lock
You examine the vaalin lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have an unsurpassed level of precision and is incredibly strong. As far as you can tell, the lockpick has never been repaired. You could probably handle an astoundingly complex lock (1160-1195) pretty easily with it.
Roundtime: 4 sec.

Awesome! Thanks.

- Greminty
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 02:42 PM CDT
Awesome update.

Can we please get the gnomish lockpick holding vambraces updated to weightless too?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 02:45 PM CDT
Also, does this

Lockpicks that were crafted prior to this change will be restored to the statistics at the time of this update.

Mean that if I made a better than average vaalin lockpick last year and broke it, it won't restore to better than vaalin?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 09:46 PM CDT
>>Mean that if I made a better than average vaalin lockpick last year and broke it, it won't restore to better than vaalin?

It depends. When you repair (not restore) it, it can degrade the bonus (mod) of the pick. Whatever that resulting value is is what it will go back to when you LM RESTORE the pick. The problem is we just didn't save the data on what a pick's originally crafted bonus was, so this is the best way we can recover anything close to that data.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/21/2020 11:22 PM CDT
>Lockpicks obtained from merchants and shops will be restored to the statistics that are standard for their material.

So my golvern-edged veniom lockpick (merchant lockpick with golvern strength and veniom mod) would become a bog-standard veniom lockpick if restored?

I gave away my merchant LM special veniom with degraded mod a long time ago but that sort of pick would also restore to bog-standard veniom?

Is restoring crafted picks restricted to the crafter, like it is with locks and keys, or can any master restore a pick I craft to its original stats? e.g. if I happen to donate a crafted pick to someone working on LM, would they be able to restore it to the stats I created it with once they mastered?

Just checking that lower mods (which I am usually more interested in than higher mods) for crafted picks will be kept on restore?

>It depends. When you repair (not restore) it, it can degrade the bonus (mod) of the pick. Whatever that resulting value is is what it will go back to when you LM RESTORE the pick. The problem is we just didn't save the data on what a pick's originally crafted bonus was, so this is the best way we can recover anything close to that data.

Is this for crafted picks only? Or will the next LM repair set a restore point for other picks too?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/22/2020 01:28 AM CDT
<It depends. When you repair (not restore) it, it can degrade the bonus (mod) of the pick. Whatever that resulting value is is what it will go back to when you LM RESTORE the pick. The problem is we just didn't save the data on what a pick's originally crafted bonus was, so this is the best way we can recover anything close to that data.

<Is this for crafted picks only? Or will the next LM repair set a restore point for other picks too? >

I think you're misunderstanding what's being said (it is confusingly worded, I'll grant you). The restore point for crafted picks has already been set to what they were when this was released. LMRESTORE on a crafted pick won't do a thing if you haven't repaired it since RESTORE was released.

What I'm curious about is: If I have a crafted pick that broke before RESTORE was released but wasn't repaired yet upon release, will it RESTORE back to it's original value (assuming that was the first time it broke)?

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/22/2020 11:00 PM CDT
>>So my golvern-edged veniom lockpick (merchant lockpick with golvern strength and veniom mod) would become a bog-standard veniom lockpick if restored?

I wouldn't be able to tell 100% without looking at the item itself, but it probably would get reset to the veniom modifier and its strength would be set to the higher of its current value or veniom's normal strength.

>>I gave away my merchant LM special veniom with degraded mod a long time ago but that sort of pick would also restore to bog-standard veniom?

It all depends on how the item was built. We have a standardized setup for what lockpicks are supposed to be built as, but if merchants make things outside those ranges, we don't have tracking for what they were before, just what they're "supposed" to be. I'm guessing they were built as veniom picks and then just had the modifier manually adjusted downwards, so RESTORE would take them back up to the standard veniom. The logic is, if it's not player crafted, then return it to normal if it's worse or leave it alone if it's better. I'm sorry that I can't give you a better answer than that.

>>Is restoring crafted picks restricted to the crafter, like it is with locks and keys, or can any master restore a pick I craft to its original stats? e.g. if I happen to donate a crafted pick to someone working on LM, would they be able to restore it to the stats I created it with once they mastered?

You can RESTORE a pick made by anyone. All crafted picks made prior to this update have their current modifier saved upon picking a box. That will be their restore point.

>>Just checking that lower mods (which I am usually more interested in than higher mods) for crafted picks will be kept on restore?

Okay, you're going for a non-standard use case here so please bear with me: We don't have data saved on what its original modifiers were, the best we could do was save the data when you pick a box next. If that's the case, then, yes, they'll restore to a lower point. However, if they were broken at the time of release, if you're trying to save a lower modifier, then repair them but don't restore them yet. Pick a box with it first so it saves that modifier. Otherwise, if you immediately restored it, it wouldn't have saved data and would just restore it to the standard values for that pick.

Anything made henceforth saves its original crafted modifier as the restore point, so it's predictable to know what would happen.

>>Is this for crafted picks only? Or will the next LM repair set a restore point for other picks too?

No, only crafted picks have variance. Non-crafted picks should align to the standardized values for their type.

>>I think you're misunderstanding what's being said (it is confusingly worded, I'll grant you). The restore point for crafted picks has already been set to what they were when this was released. LMRESTORE on a crafted pick won't do a thing if you haven't repaired it since RESTORE was released.

To be completely accurate, they're saved as soon as you attempt to pick a lock with them. Sorry if it's confusing. There are, unfortunately, a ton of different potential situations and I tried to cover the main ones.

>>What I'm curious about is: If I have a crafted pick that broke before RESTORE was released but wasn't repaired yet upon release, will it RESTORE back to it's original value (assuming that was the first time it broke)?

As soon as a pick breaks, its modifier degrades, so we won't have stored data on what it was prior to that. Whatever it appraises at now, though, is its restore point (as soon as you pick with it).

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/23/2020 03:02 AM CDT
>>So my golvern-edged veniom lockpick (merchant lockpick with golvern strength and veniom mod) would become a bog-standard veniom lockpick if restored?

>I wouldn't be able to tell 100% without looking at the item itself, but it probably would get reset to the veniom modifier and its strength would be set to the higher of its current value or veniom's normal strength.

It was one of your merchants sold it to me, and its held up pretty well over the dozen or so years since, so if its going to keep as much of the excess strength it still has, I definitely want to restore it, and if its going to lose it, I don't.

Is there a way I can tell which of my picks were crafted and which were store bought? My normal practice is store bought, because it annoys me that the guild charges more for materials than the shop does for the finished pick, but I have crafted them occasionally without keeping any record of which was crafted.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/23/2020 04:28 AM CDT
<As soon as a pick breaks, its modifier degrades, so we won't have stored data on what it was prior to that. Whatever it appraises at now, though, is its restore point (as soon as you pick with it).>

I wish I'd waited to use all those broken picks for deeds... ah well, I've got a couple on me anyway. Just won't repair them til they're ready to be restored.

Thanks for the clarification.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/23/2020 04:41 AM CDT
<Is there a way I can tell which of my picks were crafted and which were store bought? My normal practice is store bought, because it annoys me that the guild charges more for materials than the shop does for the finished pick, but I have crafted them occasionally without keeping any record of which was crafted.>

Generally, a crafted pick will just be "a <material> pick" where a store bought pick will have a fancier description. If you used LMASTER CUSTOM CLEAN to remove the description of store-bought picks (like I do), it'll prolly be impossible to know the difference though.

On a different note, when does the ability to restore a pick refresh? 28 days after you last restored one or on a set day each month? Also, could we get an indication of how many days are left before we can restore again or how many days it's been since we last used it?

Starchitin, the OG

Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/23/2020 03:16 PM CDT
>>It was one of your merchants sold it to me, and its held up pretty well over the dozen or so years since, so if its going to keep as much of the excess strength it still has, I definitely want to restore it, and if its going to lose it, I don't.

It's been a long time since I've run a merchant, but I wouldn't put it past me! You can BUGITEM it and I can see its properties later and let you know if it's a problem. In general, please only do this if you think the item isn't built properly/normally.

>>Is there a way I can tell which of my picks were crafted and which were store bought? My normal practice is store bought, because it annoys me that the guild charges more for materials than the shop does for the finished pick, but I have crafted them occasionally without keeping any record of which was crafted.

It should always be cheaper to craft your own picks. Is there something I'm missing?

>>On a different note, when does the ability to restore a pick refresh? 28 days after you last restored one or on a set day each month? Also, could we get an indication of how many days are left before we can restore again or how many days it's been since we last used it?

Just like how daily abilities reset at midnight server time, this will reset each calendar month, so use up your May use before June hits.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 03:56 AM CDT

>It should always be cheaper to craft your own picks. Is there something I'm missing?

Training in trading (and the numerous other things that shops give discounts for)

Shops give discounts on the list price for picks, the guild rate for materials is flat. An established character can normally get a shop discount that more than covers the higher list price.

>Generally, a crafted pick will just be "a <material> pick" where a store bought pick will have a fancier description. If you used LMASTER CUSTOM CLEAN to remove the description of store-bought picks (like I do), it'll prolly be impossible to know the difference though.

My picks not only get custom cleaned, but I use custom descriptions to manage mods that are significantly different from the base material. When calipers tell me its a 40-75 lock, I "get red lock" to grab the copper that is suitably beaten up for that lock range. Its possible that somewhere among my rainbow of coppers, or shades of grey invars, there's one that I crafted because I happened to be in the workshop when I decided I needed to add an extra color to the range but there's nothing of the original description left to indicate that.

I've got a couple of trophy vaalins that have their original descriptions because they were prizes I won, but the only sort of pick where I preserve the original look.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 04:21 AM CDT

I have light encumbrance, dropped all the picks onto the floor from my keyring, got 0 encumbrance. Did the reverse, went back to light encumbrance again. Seems like the weight reduction to 0 isn't working on my keyring.
Furthermore, do you have to be wearing the keyring for the weightlessness to take effect?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 04:26 AM CDT

Somehow all my good/professional lockpicks are no longer lockpicks, they appraised fine before the update.. not sure what is going on here.

You remove a good lockpick from in your web-covered backpack.
>la lock
That's not a lockpick!
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 06:21 AM CDT
<Somehow all my good/professional lockpicks are no longer lockpicks>

I thought I had the only "good lockpick" still in the game.... foo!

Starchitin, the OG

Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 07:48 AM CDT
>It's been a long time since I've run a merchant, but I wouldn't put it past me! You can BUGITEM it and I can see its properties later and let you know if it's a problem. In general, please only do this if you think the item isn't built properly/normally.

You detach a golvern alloy veniom lockpick from a twining invar keyring.
>lm app my lock
You examine the veniom lockpick very closely. It appears to be in good condition. It seems to have an accurate level of precision and is astonishingly strong. As far as you can tell, the lockpick has never been repaired. You could probably handle a fairly complicated lock pretty easily with it.

I picked a lock with it and then BUGITEMed it.

Pretty good nick considering it dates from your time as rogue guru. I'd like to be able to keep that strength on RESTORE and I'd hate to see it vanish by using RESTORE if its going to get set to standard veniom.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 08:06 AM CDT
>>I have light encumbrance, dropped all the picks onto the floor from my keyring, got 0 encumbrance. Did the reverse, went back to light encumbrance again. Seems like the weight reduction to 0 isn't working on my keyring.

If it's an LM crafted keyring, it should be working. What I suspect happened is that the SF window just didn't update yet; encumbrance isn't recalculated immediately upon every item changing location since it's a resource intense operation and the system waits until it's needed. You can force an update by typing ENCUMB. See the test example below:

>encumb
You adjust your gear comfortably and feel satisfied that you are not encumbered enough to notice.
>get my lockpick
You detach a very heavy lockpick from an LM keyring.
>encumb
You are beginning to stoop under the load you are carrying, and your reactions are slow. Hope you don't have to dodge anything.
>glance
You glance down to see an LM keyring in your right hand and a very heavy lockpick in your left hand.
>put my lockpick on my keyring
You attach a very heavy lockpick to an LM keyring.
>encumb
You adjust your gear comfortably and feel satisfied that you are not encumbered enough to notice.

>>Furthermore, do you have to be wearing the keyring for the weightlessness to take effect?

No.

>>Somehow all my good/professional lockpicks are no longer lockpicks, they appraised fine before the update.. not sure what is going on here.

LM Appraise doesn't and has never worked on GS3 era crude, common, good, or professional lockpicks. I did not change LM APPRAISE or the lockpicks other than their encumbrance.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 09:08 AM CDT

>encum

You attach an alum lockpick to a vaalin-laced keyring.
You attach an alum lockpick to a vaalin-laced keyring.
You attach a vaalin-tipped turkey bone lockpick to a vaalin-laced keyring.
You attach an oversized copper toothpick to a vaalin-laced keyring.

>encumb
Your load is a bit heavy, but you feel confident that the weight is not affecting your actions very much.

>l on vaa key
Attached to a vaalin-laced keyring:
other (1):
oversized copper toothpick
uncommon,lockpick (3):
alum lockpick (2) vaalin-tipped turkey bone lockpick
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 09:23 AM CDT

>lm sense
With a seasoned eye, you begin to examine both yourself and the area in an attempt to ascertain the current conditions for lockpicking...

After a thorough examination, you determine that you are in excellent shape, physically. As far as you can tell, the area around you has pretty average lighting.

Under the current conditions, you think you could probably handle an amazingly difficult trap and a fairly simple lock with any old lockpick. The one in your hand would probably work for a somewhat difficult lock.

>la lock
You examine the professional lockpick very closely. It appears to be in excellent condition. It seems to have a below average level of precision and has below average strength. As far as you can tell, the lockpick has never been repaired. You could probably handle a somewhat difficult lock pretty easily with it.
Roundtime: 2 sec.

I dunno, seems to work with my one of my professional lockpicks, guess it must have been converted to the new system somehow. Any way to convert the old ones to the new system?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:11 AM CDT
>>You detach a golvern alloy veniom lockpick from a twining invar keyring.

>>Pretty good nick considering it dates from your time as rogue guru. I'd like to be able to keep that strength on RESTORE and I'd hate to see it vanish by using RESTORE if its going to get set to standard veniom.

I tested it and verified it will work just fine with RESTORE. It'll return it to veniom modifier and keep the golvern strength score while stripping all damage. RESTORE will never lower strength values, only bring them up to the standard one for that pick type if it's lower.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:13 AM CDT
>>I dunno, seems to work with my one of my professional lockpicks, guess it must have been converted to the new system somehow. Any way to convert the old ones to the new system?

You can assist and ask for a GM referral. There is a GM tool to convert GS3 lockpicks to GS4.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:29 AM CDT

If the pick is considered undamaged, lm restore won't be wasted right? I can safely test my picks for damage without blowing my 1x / month on an already perfect pick?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:38 AM CDT
>There is a GM tool to convert GS3 lockpicks to GS4. - GameMaster Oscuro

Back when the transition was happening, the player of Porcell in that era discovered that if one used one of those picks, that didn’t register as a pick, on some random object (like one’s cloak), it would automatically convert into a usable pick. “Pick my cloak with my lockpick”

Does this player-initiated kind of conversion produce a pick equal to the stats provided by the “GM TOOL”?

If the converted stats are not equal, can the GM TOOL still be used to “update” the conversion if the player has already converted it through their own actions?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:39 AM CDT

Could we actually get a reading of what we could restore a pick to when using lm restore? Rather than guessing and blowing a restore on an old pick and regretting it.. maybe something along the lines of this:
You examine your pick very closely and determine you could probably bring it back to an excellent level of precision and incredible strength.

[Blah blah blah warning message, type lm restore again in the next 30 seconds to confirm]
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:40 AM CDT

THAT ACTUALLY WORKED!! Tried to pick my backpack and it auto converted.
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 10:46 AM CDT

>THAT ACTUALLY WORKED!! Tried to pick my backpack and it auto converted.

Now the 125,000 silver question - Would the GM TOOL have given you better conversion stats?
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 03:51 PM CDT
>>If the pick is considered undamaged, lm restore won't be wasted right? I can safely test my picks for damage without blowing my 1x / month on an already perfect pick?

>lm restore my lockpick
This veniom lockpick looks pristine already!

>>Back when the transition was happening, the player of Porcell in that era discovered that if one used one of those picks, that didn’t register as a pick, on some random object (like one’s cloak), it would automatically convert into a usable pick. “Pick my cloak with my lockpick”

>>Does this player-initiated kind of conversion produce a pick equal to the stats provided by the “GM TOOL”?

>>Now the 125,000 silver question - Would the GM TOOL have given you better conversion stats?

Heh, I forgot about that. It's identical. It calls the same code.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 03:57 PM CDT
>>Could we actually get a reading of what we could restore a pick to when using lm restore? Rather than guessing and blowing a restore on an old pick and regretting it.. maybe something along the lines of this: You examine your pick very closely and determine you could probably bring it back to an excellent level of precision and incredible strength.

>>[Blah blah blah warning message, type lm restore again in the next 30 seconds to confirm]

Except in rare circumstances (e.g. picks that may not have converted properly between GS3 and GS4), the result of LM RESTORE is completely predictable - it takes it back to its original values. By giving that readout, I'm worried it would just confuse more people who don't know what things like "excellent precision" or "incredible strength" mean and instead it would make them wonder "is this only partially restoring it"?

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 05:05 PM CDT
<Could we actually get a reading of what we could restore a pick to when using lm restore? Rather than guessing and blowing a restore on an old pick and regretting it.. maybe something along the lines of this: You examine your pick very closely and determine you could probably bring it back to an excellent level of precision and incredible strength.>

<<Except in rare circumstances (e.g. picks that may not have converted properly between GS3 and GS4), the result of LM RESTORE is completely predictable - it takes it back to its original values. By giving that readout, I'm worried it would just confuse more people who don't know what things like "excellent precision" or "incredible strength" mean and instead it would make them wonder "is this only partially restoring it"?>>

I can't really argue with Obscuro's logic.... I don't really think this was meant to let us maintain picks at a set degraded state. The only reason that's possible with preexisting crafted picks is cause there was never any reason to make a record of their original state prior to a day or so ago. Prolly best to make use of it as it is and not look the gift horse in the mouth... they could have just made crafted picks RESTORE back to the standard of the metal they're made from.

If you're worried that your picks won't restore all the way back to their original mod, just use the ones you have til they break and replace them with new ones. Unless you take a lot of chances or pick constantly at the pool, they'll likely be the last picks you ever have to make.

Starchitin, the OG

Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 05:46 PM CDT
>>I have light encumbrance, dropped all the picks onto the floor from my keyring, got 0 encumbrance. Did the reverse, went back to light encumbrance again. Seems like the weight reduction to 0 isn't working on my keyring.

This has been fixed. Thanks for reporting this.

GameMaster Oscuro
Re: LMASTER RESTORE and Other Lockpick Updates 05/24/2020 06:36 PM CDT

>>By giving that readout, I'm worried it would just confuse more people who don't know what things like "excellent precision" or "incredible strength" mean and instead it would make them wonder "is this only partially restoring it"?

Well those are the values given in lm appraise. The values they represent are readily available right on the official wiki. (https://gswiki.play.net/Lockpicks)

Ontop of that, there are scripts that just echo what the values represents.
If giving that message was confusing, then by transitive property, lm appraise just confuses people?

I don't think there is any situation where giving more insight/info into your actions can ever be worse than giving no info.
This is exactly the same as doing an lm appraise AFTER you lm restore it. Except if you do it after the restore, you're just wasting the restore instead of saving it for a pick worth restoring.

I got a few old alums that were converted to the new lockpick system under weird profiles. It would be helpful if I knew what each would restore to rather than asking a GM to go through 11 of my picks.
I wouldn't want to bother a GM for something tedious like that when you could just empower the users with that ability.

Instead of the lm restore giving a readout, maybe you can put the message about what you could lm restore to via the lm appraise command if you have the ability to lm restore.
That way the potentially confusing messages can stay in the same potentially confusing command.