Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 09:18 AM CDT
I know many people have been looking to build a pure ranger with the recent change to the spell base. However I believe it was pointed out that rangers do not have the capability to train enough spell aiming or gain access to the spells that boost bolt spell AS enough to really compete with other pure casters. I propose a class feat that rangers gain access to at level 25 that allows them to forego weapon training in order to either gain a leveled boost to bolt spell AS, the ability to 3x spell aiming, or most attractively gain access to training in the minor elemental spell circle; where 425 (Elemental Targeting) would be able to bridge the gap in the Ranger bolt spell AS. The feat could be called Druidic Focus and effectively be treated similarly to the Warrior class Kroderine Soul feat.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 09:30 AM CDT
That seems like it would be pretty neat. Looking at the spell lists, it would be extremely hard to be a pure ranger anywhere early, due to a lack of attack spells that aren't setups for other things, low mana and high mana costs, and the low spell aim, and the spell aim would continue to be a problem even far later in life.

Giving up weapon use for minor elemental would be a pretty neat tradeoff. I'd love to see more pure casters rangers in the world, and it would be neat if every prof had a "sacrifice something to gain something" decision possibility a la KS.

Love the idea!
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 09:38 AM CDT
Which bolt spells would a 'druid' cast?

There are only two 'native' to the Ranger profession. Is it envisioned this should apply to all bolt spells, including wands, etc.?

Doug
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 09:57 AM CDT
<and the low spell aim, and the spell aim would continue to be a problem even far later in life.>

Rangers can train in 2x SA just like any pure.

<Which bolt spells would a 'druid' cast?>

611, though I would think that a ranger designed around this spell would be as much of a mutant as my THW cleric....

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 10:06 AM CDT
>>611, though I would think that a ranger designed around this spell would be as much of a mutant as my THW cleric....

Ahh, good point. I don't think I've ever seen that spell cast by NPC or PC - which might also be a telling point. It's right up there with Sun Burst.

Doug
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 10:44 AM CDT
also, fire spirit? or whatever the minor spiritual spell I've never used because I have no spell aim is.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 10:51 AM CDT
Yep, Fire Spirit and Web (with the right training) were the two 'native' to the Ranger profession I was referring to.

Doug
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 11:03 AM CDT
I definitely love the moonbeam + sunburst combo vs creatures with my main ranger. It can be quite fun.

- EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 11:04 AM CDT
I believe someone has done the math on where going nuts on spell aim with rangers falls in comparison to other classes and it's not wonderful. Also, the array of spells is rough IMHO.

Being a pure spellcasting Ranger isn't my cup of tea, but I find the idea of a KS-like sacrifice to make it more viable to be pretty neat!
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 11:05 AM CDT
I wouldn't mind seeing a KS-like "give up this to get that" feat for all profs TBH, but like this one quite the best (though perhaps because I can't conceptually think of any others and am a Ranger stan)
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 11:41 AM CDT
>> it's not wonderful

This is one of the reasons I asked - because it probably isn't 'meant to be' wonderful. I'm not necessarily opposed to the concept, but these thoughts as shared frequently miss / marginalize discussions about the tradeoffs the profession is supposed to be making. Props for bringing the word 'sacrifice' ( the idea of a KS-like sacrifice) forward in the conversation. That's probably the most important concept to rough in for the suggestion to really be strong and well-considered.

Doug
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 11:48 AM CDT
<Also, the array of spells is rough IMHO.>

Even with the recent ranger review, a pure spellcasting ranger is pretty much for advanced players... and a pure bolting ranger is def a mutant build. Even if they had a way to bring their bolt AS up to the level of a wizard or empath, I don't think it'd make much of a dent in that assessment.

I don't really have an interest in tackling a pure spellcasting ranger, but if I did I wouldn't try to train them to just one type of attack spell. I'd want them to be equally proficient in bolt, CS, and maneuver spells... and I'd likely want them to be at least decent at hiding to take advantage of 608's AS/CS boost. I don't know how that would stack up against my cleric that's trained to take advantage of all three attack types, but it looks like the most logical way to go about it.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 12:51 PM CDT
Looks like GSWiki says that the boost from Camouflage/608 does add to bolts; nifty.

And with CMan Shadow Mastery adding in, could have a 1s castRT; not bad!
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 02:46 PM CDT
Some time back I asked if 608 could be used to allow the AS boost with wands. I wanted to do a pure bolting ranger build and thought some extra AS from waving wands from using 608 at a younger level would help offset some of that low bolt AS and lack of decent native bolt spells.

Spend 8 mana to hide and then come out wand waving! Rangers aren't known for having tons of mana and using 608 for every waved wand would still be a bit mana intensive until later in trainings.

Sadly, I never heard anything....just crickets.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 02:47 PM CDT
yeah, def not saying that "Rangers should just be better at spells, wahhhhhhh!!!!"

But as it stands the druid type "spells only" ranger is generally pretty weak a choice, so maybe giving up something like locking out weapons skills for a boost in that would be kinda neato for people who wanna have a more viable magical-only ranger build.

I dunno, I like the idea of sacrifices to go in weird directions.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/18/2021 03:08 PM CDT
When I was coming up as a Bard it was "sword & board + spells" (like Lullabye/1005 to lay them on the ground), so it was certainly not "use multiple spells go kill any given creature."

But it looks like mana costs the same for both Bards & Rangers; Bards get a bit of a break on MIU & Scrolls, and two different in-Realm Lores cost less each (but 160% in the aggregate).
(And this may be changing in the re-write, not sure how that settled out.)

The Bards' review looks like it's putting a 3rd level damage spell in, so that would allow for "pure caster" to start a whole lot sooner on that side.

Along the lines of the "sacrifice to go pure-caster" under discussion: I would still like to see the Bard/Ranger/Paladin who choose to go that route, able to gain access to Arcane Blast/1700 somehow.
- SK item after a quest reward (truffles == katana, for example).
- Visit the alchemist with backroom access (== Weapon Fire re-write of some years ago, reading the book).
- Drink an Alchemy potion (new recipe opportunity!).
- Silver cost.
- Other.

And again, maybe it comes with a "you cannot train in weapon skills" rider. <shrug> Not set on it, but I could see the implementation.
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/20/2021 05:40 AM CDT
You also completely left out Sunfist sigils, which can boost AS.

And it also plays into your section I. with "trade stamina (which recovers fairly quickly) for mana."
Re: Druid Build: The Problem With Bolt AS 10/20/2021 11:21 AM CDT
"I think GoS could be pretty viable at high levels for resolving some of this and would need to be part of the balance." -- Weyr1

(Sssoooo... that would be "Fort Weyr"? The first one?)

My spellcasting Bard didn't join a society until late 80s/early 90s, when I saw that Sunfist had both "+mana recovery" in and of itself, and also "turn useless stamina into useful mana" capability.
At this point--given # of stamina and amount of stamina recovery--the ability boils down to "being in the Society is a +50 Mana Recovery Enhancive" (I'm getting back 46-50 stamina on each experience pulse, which lets me fire it twice per mana pulse).
Which is actually "+55", because of the standalone "+5 Mana Recovery" ability that lasts for like 10 minutes or so.

And it happens at my convenience, not "when the game gets around to firing a pulse."