6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 05:21 AM CST

I am curious if the team behind TRACK has been monitoring its usage and is happy with the current state of TRACK.

With such a potentially awesome ability available to Rangers are you seeing as many people use it as you hoped? Does it sit mostly unused?

I can tell you...I mostly don't use it and that makes me very sad. Here are the numbers from my level 40 Ranger, with companion, and a bounty for the critter I was TRACKING.

(at level 40), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 120 30
Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30
Ranged Weapons.....................| 184 84
Ambush.............................| 142 42
Physical Fitness...................| 142 42
Dodging............................| 142 42
Harness Power......................| 138 39
Spirit Mana Control................| 78 17
Survival...........................| 140 40
Stalking and Hiding................| 184 84
Perception.........................| 184 84
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15
First Aid..........................| 140 40

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 40

33% success rate.

6 track fails (5 in a row) for 14, 11, 11, 11, 14, 13, 11 of RT each time
3 track successes

This ability has the potential, for me, to fall right into the wastebin of other "good on paper, not worth the effort" spells and abilities in the game. There is no reason, that I can see, to not only make it super difficult to succeed but ALSO lock it behind 1 minute of a CD.

For any DEV reading and interested in sharing the thoughts of the team...please I'd like to see the other side of the discussion. What am I overlooking that the team thought was necessary to limit this ability so much?
Re: 6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 07:24 AM CST
> There is no reason, that I can see, to not only make it super difficult to succeed but ALSO lock it behind 1 minute of a CD.

Those numbers look like you aren't using a companion, but I think you'd come to the same conclusion even if you were.

Its designed around encouraging post cap rangers to train 2x in survival. 100 ranks and a companion is the intended minimally useful point, where you should start to see it being usable and feel an incentive to train more survival to make it better. 2x and a companion might be close enough to that for you to see some point in tracking, but its intended to be rubbish at 40 ranks survival.
Re: 6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 07:26 AM CST
Track has been an incredibly disappointing ability for me. I tried it for the first week or two and it just has so many "balance twerks" to keep it from being useful.

The by far biggest problem is that it drops you in huge amount of RT right in front of a critter or a mob of critter giving them ample time to attack you. Especially at cap where its often times first hit wins or you're dead, that's just not feasible.

Its not so hard to walk around or ;wander to find a mob that putting all these limitations just makes it unused.
Re: 6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 08:38 AM CST
>Those numbers look like you aren't using a companion, but I think you'd come to the same conclusion even if you were.

>Its designed around encouraging post cap rangers to train 2x in survival. 100 ranks and a companion is the intended minimally useful point, where you should start to see it being usable and feel an incentive to train more survival to make it better. 2x and a companion might be close enough to that for you to see some point in tracking, but its intended to be rubbish at 40 ranks survival.

I specifically included that I was using my companion because I know that is supposed to play a significant role. I also know you're supposed to get a bonus for a critter you have a BOUNTY for (which I did).

If that is the stated design (useful only for post-cap rangers) then I really have to wonder why dev would have spent their time developing an ability useful for a ranger many years down the line (if at all). This ability is really not so powerful that post-cap rangers should be the only ones to use it in my opinion.
Re: 6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 10:08 AM CST
>I specifically included that I was using my companion because I know that is supposed to play a significant role. I also know you're supposed to get a bonus for a critter you have a BOUNTY for (which I did).

Its possible to see 10s RT on a success with nothing at all in your favor. Each 50 skill in survival drops that by 1s, and a companion drops that by 2s, so if you test enough you should see RTs down to 6s on a success. (maybe lower depending on how the bounty bonus is applied, but 6s should be the low end based on your survival and companion)

Oscuro didn't say enough about the top end of the RT range for me to be sure about it, but I'd have expected it to be 12 or 13s for you. If you saw the companion helping message and 14s, then the upper end of the possible RT range is worse than I thought it was. If you didn't see that message then your companion wasn't helping for some reason or other.
Re: 6 months of TRACK - is it where you want it? 12/10/2020 11:15 AM CST

Thanks for chiming in again, Rathboner. I DID see the companion helping message with those 14 second failures.