Survival...........................| 141 41
Perception.........................| 182 82
Climbing...........................| 130 35
Swimming...........................| 130 35

Spell Lists
Minor Spiritual....................| 3

Spell Lists
Ranger.............................| 40

I'm finishing getting Ambush up to a full 2x, but not really sure what else to get or do at this point. I guess start moving minor spirituals up to 120? Maybe get some sort of lore?
Re: Advice on what to do as a level 40 Ranger 11/24/2020 02:36 AM CST
If you're firing from the open Ambush isn't doing much for you, since only Perception factors into AIMing in the open. If you're using 608 to get into the shadows before firing, picking up S&H will help you stay in the shadows to preserve the AS boost if you have to take multiple shots (sure, the goal is to one-shot everything, but it doesn't always work out that way). Also, it never hurts being able to get into the shadows without having to rely on 608 when you're running low on mana or are in an area where critters move around a lot.

A few random suggestions/observations:

-120 should def be your next goal for spells, there really isn't a huge reason to go more then 1x in spells to get it but that is an option if you have spare TPs with no where else to put them

-Blessing will help with combat, but I'd only get Summoning if you do a lot of Imbuing or use 605 a lot. If you decide to get lores, prolly best to look over the changes that will be coming with the Ranger spell review, found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k6dEeEhpsnyaFOePHUvPwxT7fUQ0IfyzLcsul2VZEEs/edit

-There aren't a lot of CMANs available to rangers, but getting enough to pick up some ranks in Cunning Defense and/or Dislodge wouldn't hurt if you have the TPs (disclaimer: I've never used Dislodge, but I'd seriously consider it just for the style points if I still played a sniping ranger)

-Unless you hunt in Darkstone, both your Climbing and Swimming are more then double what you'll need until you're in your late 60's/early 70's.

-I always like having 20 ranks in Arcane Symbols on characters if I can afford it so I can see what's on scrolls I find.

-25 ranks in Trading will let you APPRAISE your skins/gems and see their value in addition to the benefits to selling stuff. Pretty low priority, but helpful if you have nowhere else to spend TPs.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: Advice on what to do as a level 40 Ranger 11/25/2020 12:26 PM CST
Dodge dodge and more dodge....especially since you don't hide. You can never have enough defense. And yes, get to 120 asap, more DS. I fully double perception and ambush, I know it's not a lot, but the benefits to your AS can and do make a difference over a lifetime of training. I would consider some spirit mana control as well, it's always nice to be able to send and receive mana.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: Advice on what to do as a level 40 Ranger 11/25/2020 01:16 PM CST
My two silvers worth:

- 10 ranks of MOC go a long way toward defense if you are fighting multiple opponents at once.
- Training spells to 120 will go a long way as well (my open ranged level 45 ranger is 20 in Minor and 30 in Ranger).
- Agree more dodge would be nice but I still only have 57 Ranks at level 45. I'm working on improving this now. I actually fixskilled my dodge lower to get to 120 in Minor Spirit right around level 40 or so.
- I would drop the Ambush in favor of the MOC / Spells / Dodge training.

-- Robert

>> [You have failed your current Adventurer's Guild task.]
Re: Advice on what to do as a level 40 Ranger 11/30/2020 02:36 AM CST
>> If you're firing from the open Ambush isn't doing much for you, since only Perception factors into AIMing in the open. If you're using 608 to get into the shadows before firing, picking up S&H will help you stay in the shadows to preserve the AS boost if you have to take multiple shots (sure, the goal is to one-shot everything, but it doesn't always work out that way). Also, it never hurts being able to get into the shadows without having to rely on 608 when you're running low on mana or are in an area where critters move around a lot.

He's actually at the point that every 4 Ambush ranks gives him 1 AS, so saying it's not doing much is not ~totally~ correct. It is 7 AS. I mention this because 40 ranks is the cutoff there. Once past 40 ranks, its 1 AS per 4. There's a reason Quaroath is 2x Ambush and Perception post cap that extra 25 AS at cap over 1x is pretty important, and he was 1x until cap as it let him aim effectively using 608.

This is something however I don't think is worth more than 1x while leveling. The tp's for 1 AS if you are hitting double costs are 24/24 for one AS. Yikes.

I would, as others has said, advocate dumping those points into extra spells to A.) push to 120 faster or B.) Dodge rather than more than 1x Ambush. I loved using 117 for grizzled critters.

Personally I abhor sniping from the shadows and only run as an open archer. Boo Stalk and hide. (You mileage may vary!)

>> 25 ranks in Trading will let you APPRAISE your skins/gems and see their value in addition to the benefits to selling stuff. Pretty low priority, but helpful if you have nowhere else to spend TPs.

Rangers get free trading ranks equal to level/4 for skin appraisal ONLY (So 10 for you currently). You'd only need 15 ranks to appraise skins where the quality actually matters, and you can migrate out of if you want the points back over time. Quality is useful to know in the field for skinning bounties. It is no fun heading back to town with one crude skin and having to slog back out for one more, but that's easy to solve for by gathering a few extra while you are out. This probably isn't worth investing 45 MTP's in for 15 ranks.

Other thoughts:
If you have a wizard friend that will imbed stuff for you, I'd suggest MIU to 20 ranks over Arcane. It's really nice to be able to pop on 507/508/905 from an imbed amulet/bracelet/anklet that a friend imbeds if you hunt stuff that can put you down fairly regularly.

For an Open Archer Ranger, the only Cmans worth a poop are Cunning Defense and Disarm, and both serve the same role - preventing a disarm. I can't think of a single time I've used disarm beyond as a lark. Dislodge has been underwhelming, but that's probably because I'm post cap and didn't learn to appreciate it leveling up. I'm fairly certain I hit cap with, at most, 45 cman ranks to cap our disarm.

Out of curiosity, what are you stats looking like? What weapon are you using?

Quaroath Rnedar
Companion of Alanna