Spell Changes Update? 11/14/2020 02:20 PM CST

Hi Mestys,

Long shot but I was curious if you were able to share where you are at with the updates to the spell changes.

Is there still something you need people to test more of? Are you making some changes based off feedback? I haven't seen anything in your google document change since the original posting during the release and am fiending for any information you're willing to share.

Thanks.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 11/14/2020 09:56 PM CST
>Is there still something you need people to test more of? Are you making some changes based off feedback? I haven't seen anything in your google document change since the original posting during the release and am fiending for any information you're willing to share. -JASON13828

We're still taking feedback from people on the test instance. There are some more tweaks I'd like to make that are in development or waiting on QC, particularly around animal companions and combat.

-M.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 11/15/2020 05:40 AM CST

Fantastic. Thank you for the update!
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/16/2020 02:47 PM CST
>We're still taking feedback from people on the test instance. There are some more tweaks I'd like to make that are in development or waiting on QC, particularly around animal companions and combat. -M(e).

The Test instance has been updated with some modifications to Ranger circle SMR calculations on both the player and creature sides to bring things more in line with typical implementations. The range of Spike Thorn results has been compressed a bit, so you won't need quite as high a success to get the top damage outcomes.

Animal Companion will now arrive significantly quicker on summon/return when you log in. The ATTACK and GUARD combat actions will now be immediate when the companion has not recently taken a combat action.

-M.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/16/2020 03:50 PM CST

Wow. Great changes, Mestys. My companion already felt strong (but slow and unpredictable) and now...super quick and strong. Especially when things are getting bombarded with 603 debuff.

Did you add some messaging when some things ignore 610? Trali Shaman and the other Tralis sort of wave it away(or did they always do that)?

Anyways I also noticed the mastadonic leopards and dreadnaught raptors have no messaging for ignoring the vine. It just kinda whips in place like one of those tube men outside of car dealerships.

616 - that felt REALLY strong at level 47. I didn't have any summoning lore and only 40 ranks of Ranger and I had like an 80% chance of hitting a fresh critter before I wounded/disabled it. And it hit hard. Wasn't getting lots of 1 cast kills but it definitely impressed me.

Just a heads up, at least 1 thing that casts 616 is borked currently.

An emaciated hierophant (832) gestures and murmurs a quiet prayer.
>
An emaciated hierophant (832) fans his fingers wide and gestures at you!
Dozens of long thorns suddenly grow out from the ground underneath your feet!
>
>
An emaciated hierophant (832) shakes off the effects of the flames.
>
>
The earthy, sweet aroma surrounding you dwindles as the murky haze disperses.
>
You feel at full magical power again.
>
>
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/16/2020 07:33 PM CST

Hmm. Vine isn't working very much right now. Just lashes out

>stance off
>prep 610
>cast
You are now in an offensive stance.
>
You bring a hand up to your lips and form a sign with your fingers as you whisper a quiet invocation for Tangleweed...
Your spell is ready.
>
You gesture.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
A long thorny vine suddenly sprouts from the ground and begins to thrash about violently!
>sym sleep
You draw a glowing pattern in the air before you.

A hobgoblin's eyes roll up into its head as it slumps to the ground.
>
A hobgoblin is awakened by your attack!
>
A hobgoblin stands up with a grunt.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/17/2020 01:45 PM CST
GM Mestys

I just tried it out on the test server with my ranger 182 ranger ranks and 101 summoning ranks. 616 was significantly nerfed enough that if this comes to fruition I will likely retire that account. In a game where it can take years to develop a character, I would be far less likely to invest the time money and effort is this is the kind of result that will ensue.

Steve
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/17/2020 03:46 PM CST
>Just a heads up, at least 1 thing that casts 616 is borked currently. -JASON13828

>Hmm. Vine isn't working very much right now. Just lashes out -LORDROELET

Both of these should be working now.

>I just tried it out on the test server with my ranger 182 ranger ranks and 101 summoning ranks. 616 was significantly nerfed enough that if this comes to fruition I will likely retire that account. In a game where it can take years to develop a character, I would be far less likely to invest the time money and effort is this is the kind of result that will ensue. -Steve

By the numbers, performance with what's in Test right now at that training will be nearly identical to what is currently in Prime. I'd suggest testing things out some more if you have a chance. But even independently of 616, I'm pretty confident that you will come out ahead when taking other changes in the spell circle into account.

-M.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/17/2020 04:44 PM CST
Not all spell changes are enjoyable by the masses.

The change of haste (was 506), still irks me with how the spell was split. Some things are only impacted by 535 and some things are only impacted by updated 506.... it's stupid that you can cast hate and things slow down around you, yet you don't get reduced RT benefits to all RT creating functions of the game....you still need 506 to reduce some RTs. I think it's a crummy change. Only real upside that I enjoy fron the change is the long duration of 535.

A lot of people stll dislike the nerf to 519.

You're going to have people dislike having their character hunting change with how 616 now functions. The hate for it will range from folks begrudgingly accepting it, yet will never like it to some folks stop playing the profession they put years into their character to folks outright quitting the game.

Big, massive profession spell changes are hard to swallow. Especially if setup spells will be required to obtain current level effectiveness of 616. That's just how it goes. You won't win everyone over.
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/17/2020 06:09 PM CST
<<By the numbers, performance with what's in Test right now at that training will be nearly identical to what is currently in Prime. I'd suggest testing things out some more if you have a chance. But even independently of 616, I'm pretty confident that you will come out ahead when taking other changes in the spell circle into account.>>

I tried it again in the test server and what you describe is not my experience there.

Steve
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/17/2020 07:01 PM CST
Went back to the test server and checked my training ranks. My summoning ranks were not present. Adjusted my summomoning ranks back to 101 and tried to the test server again and it is very similar to what is my experience in Prime now. My apologies to GM Mestys.

Steve
Re: Spell Changes Update? 12/18/2020 07:37 AM CST
>>Big, massive profession spell changes are hard to swallow. Especially if setup spells will be required to obtain current level effectiveness of 616. That's just how it goes. You won't win everyone over.

Me, and the enchanting changes, until they swapped to EXP from kills.

- Andreas