Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/21/2021 03:06 PM CST
So now that I'm back I've been slowly going through each character one at a time. Now that I've got the monk settled and have a basic understanding I'm trying to figure out my dwarf.

Sorting through how the shield, weapon and armor stuff works now.

I was really loving Shield Charge before and I noted I have Shield Bash, but it looks like it works in a similar way to Shield Charge. Should I drop it? Here are the current shield abilities I've got.
Block the Elements blockelements 1/3
Protective Wall pwall 2/2
Shield Bash bash 2/5
Shield Charge charge 5/5
Tower Shield Focus tfocus 4/5

These are the current weapon abilities.
Clobber clobber 3/5 Blunt Weapons
Dizzying Swing dizzyingswing 3/5 Blunt Weapons
Pulverize pulverize 1/5 Blunt Weapons
Pummel pummel 2/5 Blunt Weapons

And these are my current CMANs.
Cunning Defense cdefense 4/5
Feint feint 3/5 Warrior Guild
Surge of Strength surge 2/5

Hopefully the tables lay out correctly. He's 40th CoL currently and a ohe/tower shield dwarf in full hauberk currently. I'm just trying to figure out which abilities are redundant and I won't really be using. So I could use those points elsewhere.

Any advice would be appreciated. I now Surge is probably a waste and I'll get rid of those to put elsewhere on the Cmans. Since our stamina really is in constant use and surge just sucks it out. lol.
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/24/2021 01:58 PM CST
So, shield charge and bash are indeed very similar. I don't use charge, but as I understand it, it has a much greater chance to knock a target down. I use bash because I pair it with shield strike and shield strike mastery. I tend to use feint to open and follow with a bash or focused MSTRIKE and in those cases, bash is more beneficial to me. If you are just looking to follow up the bash with an ambush or some other maneuver and it's important that the target is more likely to be on the ground, charge might be better. That's not to say that shield bash cannot also knock down though, it frequently does.
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/25/2021 12:11 PM CST

Thanks CURBY for the reply and information. Yep I like using shield charge because as a dwarf I can't hit the head until I knock em down. So I'll charge em with the shield (also the visual in my head of my dwarf leaning into his shield and charging into a giant amuses me) and then I tend to ambush head. I used to use feint but haven't been doing much of that since returning. Though critter dependant I can see still using it. Still evolving my tactics since returning. :)
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/25/2021 12:26 PM CST

Yeah I'd been using Pummel. I found it useful and also fun to use. Thanks Gargadon.
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/25/2021 09:12 PM CST
"also the visual in my head of my dwarf leaning into his shield and charging into a giant amuses me" -- Celtar the IL

When my (mind you: gnome) Monk was up on Aenatumgana, it amused me to no end when I would put the finishing touch on a mammoth with a punch.
I never quite narrowed down which got to me more: smacking it in the snoot from the front and seeing it collapse to its knees, or bashing it in the ribs from the side and watching it topple.
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/26/2021 08:18 AM CST

see the bowling ball
feel the bowling ball
Be the bowling ball.

brought to you by,
---cman bullrush.

>good for crowd control<

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/26/2021 08:46 AM CST

see the bowling ball
feel the bowling ball
Be the bowling ball.
brought to you by,
---cman bullrush
>good for crowd control<

Hehe. Exactly. Clunk, ever wise and ever to the point.

@Krakii Love the imagine of your gnome ping-ponging off of mammoths. lol. Ricochet Rabbit. heh
Re: Trying to get my dwarf paladin up to speed 11/26/2021 09:48 AM CST
My bad: I meant that the punch was the kill shot. Like when Arnold (as Conan) slugs the camel and it drops...