Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/22/2021 01:40 AM CDT
The damage and design of this spell has been finalized and I just pushed an update of this spell to live instances. It's design underwent a few changes from the January version so I'll cover some of those in this post for those interested.

Description
This is a low damage warding spell that will apply a minor debuff (-5 DS/-3 TD/-5 SMR) on the target on the initial cast as well as causing damage. Any followup attacks that fail will trigger a retaliation recast of this spell if made from an aggressive (off/adv/forward) stance. This retaliation cast can occur a base of 3 times, and can be further increased with summoning lore.

In addition, if the paladin kills a target recently hit with 1603 and is under the effects of Fervor (1618), she will enter a zealous state for 60 seconds. While zealous, the paladin's next successful attack will trigger a guiding light flare.

Changes over January version
-Damage was changed and is no longer directly impacted by 1618
-Zealous effect was changed to only trigger when 1618 is active.

Other notes
-The paladin has to be using a weapon to benefit from the guiding light flare while zealous, but she does not have to be bonded to the weapon. The weapon also does not have to have existing guiding light flares to qualify for the zealous flare.
-The retaliation cast should trigger on any attack made in an aggressive stance (melee, spell, smr). However, a significant amount of combat code was changed with the SMR changes and there are a lot of places where this may fail to happen. I believe I identified most places, but if you find an instance of the spell not retaliating, or zealous flare, please bug combat and include the attack that failed to trigger in the report. You can also report on this forum if you prefer.

Viduus
Re: Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/22/2021 05:51 PM CDT
I'm sure you have your reasons, but tying 1603's flare to 1618 is unpopular enough of a move for me that as a recently returning player, I've decided to no longer stay a customer. It may seem petty, but infusing 1603 into my weapon to get the zealous flares while having Divine Shield up with 1-second roundtime shield strikes using a spiked and flaring shield was what I was looking forward to my entire time back. Having just hit level 25, I was only days away from that goal of being able to infuse a spell into my weapon; but now, there's little motivation to continue.

Also, some easy to incorporate advice the future, for the sake of the players who remain: you should notify them of significant class changes via an official channel - either email, in-game messaging preferably, or even discord. It's not very customer-centric to assume or require every customer use the forums. I'm not trying to complain or argue, I just want to share my negative experience with your company so that you can use it to improve. Thanks for your work on GemStone, I'm glad it's still around, and take care.
Re: Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/22/2021 05:59 PM CDT
>Also, some easy to incorporate advice the future, for the sake of the players who remain: you should notify them of significant class changes via an official channel - either email, in-game messaging preferably, or even discord. It's not very customer-centric to assume or require every customer use the forums. I'm not trying to complain or argue, I just want to share my negative experience with your company so that you can use it to improve. Thanks for your work on GemStone, I'm glad it's still around, and take care.

This is official. The fourms, regardless of how many people come here, should always have game updates posted here. Ideally, they should be pushing to get the forums and website updated....because they are old and lack search options.

If a GM wishes to announce game changes on other platforms after they've benn posted here, that's on them. I, for one, hate social media and an in game announcement can easily be missed. I'm glad an update was posted here.

It's a shame this change is causing you to leave. Maybe talking about why you don't like it and seeing if they'll adjust it could be something both parties can agree to....?
Re: Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/23/2021 12:41 PM CDT
>Viduus: -Zealous effect was changed to only trigger when 1618 is active.

Welp, that's... interesting. From a design point, it does make sense to have Zealous attached to 1618 (it is the non-AS/non-DS aura, after all), but I'll certainly miss my Zealous mstrikes!

>BBR: The fourms, [sic], should always have game updates posted here.

This, this, this, This. This is the place I always look to, to find updates to the game, since it's (should be) the first line of communication (barring communication in-game itself) between staff and players. (I'd love an update of the forums, since they are antiquated and all, but that's a different thread.)

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/27/2021 10:46 PM CDT
Wait so you can be Zealous while using Fervor, but not Zealot?

Can't say I agree with the change. 1603 is borderline blah anyway, limiting it's use further feels arbitrary and unfortunate. At the very least it should work with Zealot as well.
Re: Templar's Verdict (1603) Update 09/29/2021 04:54 PM CDT
>>Wait so you can be Zealous while using Fervor, but not Zealot?

The original effect was "zealous fervor." I shortened it for discussions in an attempt to reduce confusion when 1618 was renamed Fervor. I'll most likely rename the effect in the near future.

>>Can't say I agree with the change. 1603 is borderline blah anyway, limiting it's use further feels arbitrary and unfortunate. At the very least it should work with Zealot as well.

Zealot doesn't need any further incentives, and given 1603 is cast nearly as much as all other paladin spells combined, moving the effect to 1618 hasn't substantially harmed it.

Viduus