1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/08/2021 09:31 AM CDT
Currently, with CONVERT FORSAKE, you cannot set an anchor for 1613. I can't put the deity's name in the prayer, because there is none to be had.

Is this intended behavior?

-Falicor
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/15/2021 06:18 PM CDT
Currently, with CONVERT FORSAKE, you cannot set an anchor for 1613. I can't put the deity's name in the prayer, because there is none to be had.

Is this intended behavior?

-Falicor

My personal stance on all things cleric and paladin is that the 300s, 1600s, and certain verbs shouldn't be useable if you haven't converted to a deity. If you take the divine away from a paladin, he's just a very confused warrior.

That being said, there's another issue with the spell that I've disliked for a while and the fix could probably address both concerns. I've made a note to check on this after my higher priority stuff is completed. Though, I wouldn't count on getting the same benefit from it as a fully devoted paladin if I were you.

Viduus
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/19/2021 07:38 PM CDT
>Though, I wouldn't count on getting the same benefit from it as a fully devoted paladin if I were you.

To put it mildly, that would be beyond disappointing. There is no real option to represent one of the core myths/legends among the Giantmen - that the spirits of the dead are able to grant you strength in battle.

Directly from the Wiki:
>It is rumored that many of the giantkin heroes had their weapons and armor inscribed with the names of Clan members influential in the battle, to have the spirits of those who fell watch over the wearer or wielder of such items and give them strength. However, many of these items cannot be found, or are in the possession of the giantkin Warmaster, the clan chieftains, historians, or museums.

Really easy explanation of the fact that we cannot find the weapons and armor that provided these warriors with power is that the spirits did not grant power to the weapon, but instead gave it to the person wielding said armaments.

Devout worship of the Arkati is not mentioned anywhere in the Giantman documentation (aside from the Vaikalimara Clan, noted to be likely insane) and the closest links to anything resembling a formal relationship would be that some believe Kindred to have been created to be servants, i.e slaves, of the Arkati. The only giantman representation among the official documentation that I have read is Kuon, who was seemingly gifted immortality for showing traits counter to those of his fellow Kindred. Beyond that you have Fasthr K'Tafali who founded an Order to spread the teachings of Voln, who was then forced to flee from his own order under threat of his life from humans who have taken defacto control of the Order with not a word or sign from the fanatic Voln that worshipping him mattered one bit.

I could go on and on, and I know I have missed some things since I have not read through the documentation in quite a few years. I guess the TLDR is that due to a variety of factors, there are very many non-trivial reasons for a Giantman Paladin to purposely seek a way derive power from sources other than an Arkati. It would be extremely disappointing to have said RP choice hinder the character because Giantman lore has been largely forgotten outside of getting a few token items at an event every once in a while - a different rant for a different time.

-Falicor
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/19/2021 07:52 PM CDT
>no real option

I'm pretty certain that this is what the "999 - Other" option is for, with the CONVERT verb. You can convert to "other", and make your own roleplay that your "other" are the spirits of your clan, or whatever else you want to worship that isn't an Arkati or Lesser Spirit.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/20/2021 08:18 AM CDT
>I'm pretty certain that this is what the "999 - Other" option is for, with the CONVERT verb. You can convert to "other", and make your own roleplay that your "other" are the spirits of your clan, or whatever else you want to worship that isn't an Arkati or Lesser Spirit.

This is where I started. But the more I thought about it, there was no worshipping to be done. It would be unthinkable for Falicor to ever be worshipped or to be a part of something that demands worship when he someday joins the honored dead. It does seem to be a very fine hair to split, either way. As it was, Other did not allow me to bind this particular spell either, from a mechanical standpoint it would make no difference.

More secular forms of spirituality are not inherently less holy due to their lack of brick and mortar buildings, they are just less formalized. There are many documented instances of Kindred respecting and remembering the dead, but none where they worship them.

-Falicor

(Repost to fix glaring typo)
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/20/2021 12:54 PM CDT
>Other did not allow me to bind this particular spell either

Well, that sucks. :( This should be something that should be fixed... I wonder if, somehow, when a cleric/paladin is converted to "Other", the system could take into account the "Other"-ness, and let people bind 1613 with any sort of capitalized "Somethings" in the binding prayer. Hrm. (That really does suck, though, that 1613 doesn't even work when converted to "Other". I assume you used "Other" in the binding prayer?)

>More secular forms of spirituality are not inherently less holy due to their lack of brick and mortar buildings

Oh, totally agreed, both for IG and IRL.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Inquisitor of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/20/2021 01:44 PM CDT
>I'm pretty certain that this is what the "999 - Other" option is for, with the CONVERT verb. You can convert to "other", and make your own roleplay that your "other" are the spirits of your clan, or whatever else you want to worship that isn't an Arkati or Lesser Spirit.

This is where I started. But the more I thought about it, there was no worshipping to be done. It would be unthinkable for Falicor to ever be worshipped or to be a part of something that demands worship when he someday joins the honored dead.

You can write your story however you choose, but officially paladin and cleric powers are derived from Arkati and lesser spirits via worship and devotion. Without that relationship, you're basically leaning on the attributes of an item in the same way that a warrior benefits from the enchant of a weapon or the spell of an imbed. In that situation, you are not having your person imbued with the divine, you are simply utilizing the powers of an item.

Your specific scenario is why we have the "other" category. So when you stated it didn't work for other, I investigated and ended up wasting an hour of my day digging through code to find a non-existent bug.

The spell works for "other" conversions, and it even, unfortunately, works for the forsaken option. The anchoring portion uses a very generous list of generic words for the matches. This includes, but is not limited to: god, deity, holy, life, assist, servant, and faith. I was able to anchor as a forsaken paladin using the example on the wiki and swapping out Oleani for god.

Viduus
Re: 1613 and CONVERT FORSAKE 05/20/2021 02:24 PM CDT
The "Other" god could be the default for anyone who hasn't chosen or has forsaken their previous selection, and "Forsaken" just be a roleplaying choice. That would completely bypass the problem. Or, instead of Other, call it something like Lesser Spirits, or maybe Folk Spirits. Not all the gods in the CONVERT verb need to be individual gods. Some could represented by several different gods.

I've mentioned it before but if there was an in-game religion system that tracked devotion points, sort of a cross between Voln and GoS, that offered more substantial rewards for constant devotion over time, then I could see a players having more incentive to bite the bullet. Just ditch societies and have the religion system in its place. Different races have different names for different gods.

One of the issues I saw when creating a paladin is that the gods made no sense. It feels like they were originally developed for different aspects of combat and healing, overlapping quite a bit, with only an afterthought to natural spheres of influence. The Dark Gods, especially. And the mechanical benefits were there, but not really enough to care about. More is better here.