Paladin Shield Specialization 02/17/2021 09:51 PM CST
Hello, question for any Dev GM that may be reading. I just had an unfortunate conversation on a GM assist regarding a shield resize and suggested I try reaching out. I recently reactivated and currently have this shield from GSIII days on my paladin:

a white eonake knight's shield bound by shimmering silver and imbedded with emeralds that form the symbol of the goddess Oleani

I believe this was originally a kite shield I was fortunate enough to have altered with a rare noun "knight". At the time I did not think to make it a "knight's kite shield" and since then shields have been reclassified so knight = medium shield. Unfortunately for me, paladin cannot specialize in medium shield yet a warrior/rogue can and if I change the size I lose the noun. This just seems absurd to me that a rogue can specialize in a knight shield while a paladin (a holy warrior / knight) cannot.

Are there any chances of paladin gaining the ability to specialize in medium shield? Perhaps something to consider with all the CMAN changes currently in the works? At minimum it seems silly to associate knight specifically with a medium shield. The reality is it is cheaper for me to buy a new maxed out shield than to work on this project; however this is a very personal item to my character so not something I want to let go. Appreciate your time and your thoughts, thank you.
Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 09:16 AM CST
Being able to specialize in a shield type only equates to the following:

+10 towards offensive shield attacks like shield bash (+2 per rank learned)
+10 towards defense against sunder shield (+2 per rank learned and you won't find but a handful of critters that use this)
+5 towards CvA (+1 per rank learned and a paladin has pretty good CvA already due to wearing full plate armor)

On the plus side, a medium shield affords you less penalty towards your dodge DS which means you will be hit less often and you can still use the majority of offensive shield attacks.

I understand your attachment to the shield, and while I do not at all speak for dev, I don't see paladins being able to specialize in medium shields. You are more likely able to have that shield re-sized to a large or tower shield and have it altered to fit your theme.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

A squeaky halfling nearby asks, "Why you playing with orcs heads and troll rearends?!"

Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 09:58 AM CST

You also need shield spec at the second rank for things like Spike Mastery. Tower shields are mechanically preferable, but I also don't see a reason for Paladins to be limited to large shields. Opening up the small/medium shield specializations and also the Dodge the Elements etc options that go with them would be fine by me.

~Player of Fulmen Soulforge, Hammer of Eonak.
Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 12:05 PM CST
Agree this is more my concern it limits the possibility since shield specialization is a prerequisite for some useful abilities such as Spell Block. The trade off of missing the other advantages is negated to a degree since there are advantages to the medium. Perhaps simply removing shield specialization as a prerequisites for some of these abilities is another option?
Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 04:54 PM CST
The shields we consider to be large and tower shields in this game were used for formation fighting by infantry, not by knights. This probably explains why a "knight's shield" is considered to a medium shield. Larger shields would not be easily used from horseback. As far as I can tell, paladins use big shields in this game only because it matches the game mechanics.
Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 04:59 PM CST
Yep! That plus. . . no war destriers.

Still, the left bicep of every warrior / knight in the realms must be terribly impressive!

Dog
Re: Paladin Shield Specialization 02/18/2021 05:05 PM CST
In terms of training options, medium shields would actually give paladins the most DS when maxed on skills. Maybe consider that one more argument in favor of medium specs.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.