Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 02:11 AM CST
Suddenly getting a random spell misfiring message that I was not getting earlier today... I should note, my weapon was not consecrated, but I also got this message with subsequent testing with consecrate on it. Seems to only happen when I have Zealous on.

((editted down a bit))

You swing a red-tinged polished steel flamberge at a Grimswarm orc guard (AB9)!
AS: +111 vs DS: -12 with AvD: +41 + d100 roll: +47 = +211
... and hit for 95 points of damage!
Awesome shot collapses a lung!
[You have earned 65 recognition points.]
The orc guard (AB9) falls to the ground and dies.
A Grimswarm orc guard (AB9) shakes off the effects of the flames.
Your surroundings take on a violet sheen as you burn with zealous fervor!
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>attack
You swing a red-tinged polished steel flamberge at a Grimswarm orc guard (HB9)!
AS: +111 vs DS: -24 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +6 = +184
... and hit for 58 points of damage!
Flesh ripped from back, muscles exposed.
[You have earned 35 recognition points.]
The orc guard (HB9) falls to the ground and dies.
A Grimswarm orc guard (HB9) returns to normal color.
>attack scout
You swing a red-tinged polished steel flamberge at a grizzled Grimswarm orc scout (VVC)!
AS: +111 vs DS: +33 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +48 = +169
... and hit for 38 points of damage!
Slash to the orc scout (VVC)'s shield arm!
Shears off a thin layer of skin!
Your spell misfires.
R>
A Grimswarm orc guard (7B9) just arrived.
>attack scout
You swing a red-tinged polished steel flamberge at a grizzled Grimswarm orc scout (VVC)!
AS: +111 vs DS: +41 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +68 = +181
... and hit for 56 points of damage!
Diagonal slash leaves a bloody trail across the orc scout (VVC)'s torso.
Your spell misfires.
R>attack scout
AS: +111 vs DS: +53 with AvD: +43 + d100 roll: +82 = +183
... and hit for 42 points of damage!
Finger ripped away from left hand.
Your spell misfires.
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 04:14 AM CST
That's what happens when your weapon tries to use it's infusion spell, but you're currently in cast roundtime. It looks like you editted away the casting of a spell in between the first and second attack - and although you were capable of attacking again, the cast RT timer wasn't considered up by then. So when the weapon tried to cast the spell, it failed. At least I think that's what I'm looking at.

- D
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 10:20 AM CST
>>Suddenly getting a random spell misfiring message that I was not getting earlier today... I should note, my weapon was not consecrated, but I also got this message with subsequent testing with consecrate on it. Seems to only happen when I have Zealous on.

This happens because you're using "attack <target>" instead of just the attack/ambush verb by itself. The zealous flare is attempting to find your current target and coming up short. If you switched from attack by itself to attack <target> during the day you'll see more of these messages.

Viduus
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 11:42 AM CST

Bit confused on that explanation. I figured this was just a bug with 1603 zealous that would go away at some point. Is that supposed to happen?

~Player of Fulmen Soulforge, Hammer of Eonak.
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 11:48 AM CST
>>Bit confused on that explanation. I figured this was just a bug with 1603 zealous that would go away at some point. Is that supposed to happen?

I was clarifying on the actual cause of the misfire bug. It's due to the target value not being properly set when the attack happens. Attack/ambush alone will set the value for the whole attack, but "attack <creature>" doesn't set it before the 1603 flare triggers. There are some known bugs with 1603 that will be resolved once the damage is finalized.

Viduus
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 11:53 AM CST
Ahh, I see.

I use "kill/ambush/mstrike <target>" most of the time and have been seeing "misfire" a lot. I just tried it with "attack" and it works instead. Huh. So that'll change to work with those verbs later?

~Player of Fulmen Soulforge, Hammer of Eonak.
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/02/2021 12:21 PM CST
>>Huh. So that'll change to work with those verbs later?

Yeah, I already have a fix for it in development. I've been holding off on pushing changes while the spell undergoes some rework to avoid potential code conflicts, but if that draws out much longer I'll probably figure something out.

Viduus
Re: Spell misfiring? 02/07/2021 04:49 PM CST

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That explains why it seemed 'sudden,' as I wasn't targeting specific mobs prior to the issue. I changed to take out certain troublesome ones and started getting the message. I'll ignore it for now, then.