ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 10:28 AM CST
On the sixth day of ESN, empaths gained the ability to transfer scars from other adventurers if they have 50 or more ranks of Mental Lore, Transference!

For those who will point out that this is a steep cost for a lore that has no other uses: that is only temporary. Mental Lore, Transference is being introduced as a lore for those who want to specialize in healing and will have more uses to come soon!

~ Konacon
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 10:51 AM CST

>For those who will point out that this is a steep cost for a lore that has no other uses: that is only temporary. Mental Lore, Transference is being introduced as a lore for those who want to specialize in healing and will have more uses to come soon!

Will the chance for scar healing on 1100 healing spells Transference from Blessings? How about RT reductions from Transformation? Just pointing out that there are already two different lores for those who wish to specialize in healing, as my empath does.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 11:01 AM CST
Interesting change, Konacon! I am curious to see what else you have in store for us. Thanks!

> Will the chance for scar healing on 1100 healing spells Transference from Blessings? How about RT reductions from Transformation? Just pointing out that there are already two different lores for those who wish to specialize in healing, as my empath does.

Yes please. 6 Lores is a lot to manage, even marginally. I would like to see buffs for 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1107, and 1125 switched from SL: Blessing to ML: Transference. And a fixskills to go along with it, please. :)
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 11:27 AM CST
Looks like I'll be pausing my 3x spells goal to pick up some transference! Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store for this lore.

Will transferring scars have the same experience benefit as healing fresh wounds?

~Land Pirate Maylan~
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 11:36 AM CST
>> Will the chance for scar healing on 1100 healing spells Transference from Blessings? How about RT reductions from Transformation? Just pointing out that there are already two different lores for those who wish to specialize in healing, as my empath does.

> Yes please. 6 Lores is a lot to manage, even marginally. I would like to see buffs for 1102, 1103, 1104, 1105, 1107, and 1125 switched from SL: Blessing to ML: Transference. And a fixskills to go along with it, please. :)

This is not likely to happen. As far as talking about the problems with too many lores and balancing lores, it's probably best to wait until everything has come out to talk about whether or not too many lores are involved.

~ Konacon
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 11:37 AM CST
> Will transferring scars have the same experience benefit as healing fresh wounds?

Transferring scars does grant experience, but not at exactly the same amounts as fresh wounds.

~ Konacon
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 01:27 PM CST
Interesting update! As a warpath I don't care about Manipulation lore much (arguably even prefer not having it because 1117 doesn't carry over 1106/1115 instant kills), so we'll see if other Transference updates can lead me away from the "everything goes into Telepathy except 57 Transformation" plan... not quite there yet!
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 03:00 PM CST
>> On the sixth day of ESN, empaths gained the ability to transfer scars from other adventurers if they have 50 or more ranks of Mental Lore, Transference!

I've been pretty lukewarm on the updates so far but like this one a lot! Also very interested to see what else you have in store for ML: Transference!

-- Robert

Due to the volatile atmosphere, random bolts of lightning can intermittently be seen streaking through the skyline.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 04:31 PM CST
OK, this is not a gripe, complaint, disagreement, whine, accusation, bellyache, snivel, grumble, fuss, objection, criticism, grievance, disapproval, protest, or a judgement. What it is, is a question, because, quite frankly, I'm a little bit confused.

Right now I find empaths very hard to hunt, mainly in the level 85 to cap/post-cap range (and when I say hunt, I mean SOLO hunt). I despise healing as a mainstay of gaining experience for any of my empaths; I find it boring, tedious and overly competitive (especially when dealing with the script healers).

That being said, I'd like to know where these updates to empaths are heading. Are we supposed to now become town healers? Are we going to have to split our training paths, yet again, in order to remain, at best mediocre? Will we be able to be effective hunters, either by weapon or spell, or are we doomed to be relegated to sitting in some godforsaken spot in some town and heal ourselves into mind-numbing oblivion?

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the effort it has taken to make the updates we've seen, and I don't expect my empaths to be invincible, I just don't want them able to out-hunt a like-level warrior before level 65 (my empath actually used to be mistaken as a warrior, due to armor, weapon choice and lethality), only to have to settle on being nearly combat ineffective late in life.

Thanks for all the updates thus far, I do like them; it would just be nice to get some hint as to where we might be headed with this whole thing.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard
Defender of Wehnimer's Landing
Black Raider of the Mir'Sheq

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

http://radeekandoran.blogspot.ca/

http://thetehirchronicles.blogspot.ca/
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 05:01 PM CST
> Right now I find empaths very hard to hunt, mainly in the level 85 to cap/post-cap range (and when I say hunt, I mean SOLO hunt). I despise healing as a mainstay of gaining experience for any of my empaths; I find it boring, tedious and overly competitive (especially when dealing with the script healers).

I feel this is a case of "Bowels/Confluence are bad hunting areas for Empaths and Rift Planes 4/5 are boring" rather than "Empaths are bad at hunting". They do fine in Old Ta'Faendryl, Nelemar, and Sanctum of Scales.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 07:16 PM CST
<<I feel this is a case of "Bowels/Confluence are bad hunting areas for Empaths and Rift Planes 4/5 are boring" rather than "Empaths are bad at hunting". They do fine in Old Ta'Faendryl, Nelemar, and Sanctum of Scales.

You are correct in all the above, except I did not say empaths are bad at hunting, I stated they are very hard to hunt. My problem is, I like the bowels...no, I love hunting in the bowels...have since the first day one of mine set foot in that place. My Katana wielding empath was a blast to play everywhere, until the day he hit the bowels. I do not like any of the other places; and none of my characters hunt the Sanctum, nor will they ever. The same holds true for OT and Nelemar; as a player I do not like hunting there, RP'ing there, or even being there, and yes, I understand that is a choice I have to live with.

I'm mostly puzzled by the need for yet another lore (and the TP expenditure that goes along with that training path) to do something empaths should already have been inherently able to do.

I know this isn't over yet, there's more to come, and I'm waiting to see what happens. However, from what I've seen happen to other classes, I see a definite pattern emerging that is leading me to be somewhat more "pro-active" with my questions. I'm kind of tired of getting the "now you get to train in this if you want to be good at that, and you get to do so at the cost of something else you were good in."

It seems to me we're rapidly creating one dimensional cookie-cutter characters, there's just a few more shapes than before.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 08:30 PM CST
General Radeek Andoran
That being said, I'd like to know where these updates to empaths are heading. Are we supposed to now become town healers? Are we going to have to split our training paths, yet again, in order to remain, at best mediocre? Will we be able to be effective hunters, either by weapon or spell, or are we doomed to be relegated to sitting in some godforsaken spot in some town and heal ourselves into mind-numbing oblivion?

These changes are the results of a Healing Review. The goal is make improve the overall healing experience (not character experience) and to better differentiate healing vs. hunting empaths. It was carefully designed to result in almost no mechanical downtweak. So empaths can continue to heal or hunt today as well they did before the changes. However, for healing empaths who choose to diversify their training, they're gaining a few new options. After it's all said and done, players should be able to see a difference between a healing and hunting empath. The former will heal their own wounds faster, be able to transfer scars, <insert other unreleased changes so far!>, etc, while the latter will use combat spells more effectively.

General Radeek Andoran
It seems to me we're rapidly creating one dimensional cookie-cutter characters, there's just a few more shapes than before.

I'm not sure if you're intending this to be good or bad, but it's stating we're making non-cookie-cutter characters possible (since they have "more shapes than before"), which is exactly the point. By introducing more skills to train in at high rank thresholds, it ensures no empath can train everything to the maximum level. It forces you to pick and choose which benefits you want. That is the very design goal of lores and something almost every caster has to deal with. Before lores, there were hardly any differences in characters of the same profession.

GameMaster Estild
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 08:35 PM CST

Any chance for a Stormfront update to help with Scar transfers?
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/21/2017 10:53 PM CST

What lores do I need to transfer tattoos?
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 04:02 AM CST
WOOT, SCARS!! FINALLY!!

>>Yes please. 6 Lores is a lot to manage, even marginally.

I have to agree, especially since four of those share a 202 max cap...

I'm obviously reserving any final judgment until all this unfolds (awesome stuff so far), but I'm uncertain why one of the other, already used Lores wouldn't work? Honestly though, I kinda feel like there's just one too many Lores in the Mental tree anyway... could par it down to four, I would think, and it would be fine (even with Savants). It just seems a bit extraneous when the other Lore trees have five, three, and two branches, whereas the one that is used by one only Profession (IIRC) at present has five... especially given that one would be forced to divide even further when reaching the upper shared limit.

Blessings, Transformation, or even Telepathy would kinda make sense to me... Blessings if one assumes the the schism between hunting Empath and healing empath exists between Spiritual (mostly healing) and Mental (mostly hunting, becase SL:M) Lores, or Transformation or Telepathy as a alternative to Manipulation for the same.

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/VQkXAZ ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 04:04 AM CST
Thank You Estild, that is exactly the type of response I was hoping to get, a wee bit of clarification on the direction this thing is taking.

General Radeek Andoran
Drakes Vanguard

Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 04:04 AM CST
Again, can't stress this is enough -- these are, overall, pretty fantastic updates... especially the Scar transferring!!

-- Wheels & Skulls Department

You see Blood Mayor Cruxophim the Blood Reaver.
“Blood for the Blood Mayor! Skulls for the Skull Office!”

[ Storyline: https://goo.gl/VQkXAZ ]
[ Order of the Shadow: https://goo.gl/88Ojff ]
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 05:42 AM CST
It was carefully designed to result in almost no mechanical downtweak.
-GM Estild

So you're saying there's a nerf... ;)

Keith/Brinret/Eronderl

Keith is correct
-Wyrom, APM

Keith is correct.
-GameMaster Estild

Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 06:25 AM CST
Yeah, so you're stating very hard to hunt...for one of the most powerful hunting classes (empaths), using a mutant build (THW warpath) that has a huge known weakness (near cap AS, skills), hunting in one of the most difficult (guiding force jarls, earthen fury elders, dispels, mstriking elementals, stone fisting maneuvers) and crazy places in the game (where my post-cap physical character can still regularly get killed).

And not willing to hunt any place else which is much easier. I don't see the problem.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 08:21 AM CST
Playing a mutant (THW) is an option but the game isn't going to make it easy, at least not compared to a pure build. I'm sure THW empath pure players know that though. What bears mentioning is the mid 80s is a crappy time for empaths, pure or otherwise. Once you age out of the insanely easy exp of the Aqueducts in OTF, you're thrust into an OTF Proper you aren't necessarily ready for. From 85-92 or so I died a whole lot and was super salty about it. It gets easier as you approach mid 90's though. OTF and Nelemar are both challenging but doable as a casting hunter empath, and I'm sure the Rift would work too although the timesinks of that area prevent me from caring that it exists.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/22/2017 12:21 PM CST
I now have a new post-cap goal. Neat. Not going to comment on Transference Lore until I see what else is coming out.

Also, pure Empaths do very well on Rift Plane 4/5. Spell aiming helps tremendously in this regard, but also ever since I 2xed PF, Plane 4 isn't that bad.

Rishi
- Player of Kembal

Speaking to Plur, Belnia says, "You're no Kembal."

[Roll result: -2112 (open d100: 82)]
A giantman thief crouches and sweeps a leg at you, but only manages to trip himself.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/28/2017 03:09 PM CST
I was waiting to comment on this until more of the Transference Lore uses were revealed. I think I'm ready now :)

I think it's neat that we can transfer scars at 50 ranks, but I have a question and a comment.

Question) What's the experience benefit of transferring scars? (either exact or in comparison to wounds of similar rank)

Comment) Would you pretty please consider breaking this into different tiers similar to how empaths learn to take minor wounds first and then later moderate/severe wounds? I think it'd be insanely cool if it worked more like:

20 ranks = Empaths can heal rank 1 scars
35 ranks = Empaths can heal rank 2 scars
50 ranks = Empaths can heal rank 3 scars

It would give a young healing empath something really juicy to enjoy and differentiate themselves sooner. <3 <3 Throw us young empaths a bone :)
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 05:49 AM CST
Seeing that it's been nearly a year, I thought I would bump this to see if my comment might get a little attention. Last year, I spoke on discord and was told something along the lines of needing time to see how these changes settle before additional tweaks could be considered.

So, I'm wondering if the powers that be may consider smaller lore for smaller scars? :) Thanks!
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 09:51 AM CST
Seeing that it's been nearly a year, I thought I would bump this to see if my comment might get a little attention. Last year, I spoke on discord and was told something along the lines of needing time to see how these changes settle before additional tweaks could be considered.

So, I'm wondering if the powers that be may consider smaller lore for smaller scars? :) Thanks!

I mentioned on discord exploring options for improving 1125 since the scarring issue is undesired. I'm currently still exploring.

Viduus
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 11:06 AM CST
I'd like to see it be a whole lot more powerful with a bit of a cooldown similar to how rapid healing works. Something that could be used in the middle of combat to get you and your group back into fighting shape, but not something you can use repeatedly.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!

Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 11:13 AM CST

>>I'd like to see it be a whole lot more powerful with a bit of a cooldown similar to how rapid healing works. Something that could be used in the middle of combat to get you and your group back into fighting shape, but not something you can use repeatedly.

I always encourage you guys to make suggestions for ways to improve things you don't like with the game.

However, just for clarity and to keep expectations realistic. At this time, I'm only exploring very targeted options for addressing the scarring issue on group members that 1125 creates.

Viduus
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 12:08 PM CST
<However, just for clarity and to keep expectations realistic. At this time, I'm only exploring very targeted options for addressing the scarring issue on group members that 1125 creates.>

Just remove the group benefit or change it to only heal blood for group members. A combat empath shouldn't be healing mid-fight and a healing empath should be paying enough attention to grab any wounds inflicted immediately anyway.

1125 is already powerful enough and making empaths more powerful over all will just bring more complaints about them being unbalanced.

Starchitin, the OG

A severed gnomish hand crawls in on its fingertips and makes a rude gesture before quickly decaying and rotting into dust. A gust of wind quickly scatters the dust.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 12:33 PM CST
>>1125 is already powerful enough and making empaths more powerful over all will just bring more complaints about them being unbalanced.

Pshaw.

Weezard
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 02:10 PM CST
> However, just for clarity and to keep expectations realistic. At this time, I'm only exploring very targeted options for addressing the scarring issue on group members that 1125 creates.

You are awesome for taking my example of why I want minor scar healing the most and looking for a solution!

Perhaps I should write the rest of my reasons down... G (But no really, I had another empath steal my minor scars and I couldn't steal'm back. Them scars are a badge of honor (and make it stupid obvious you're LOOKing at an empath. It's a weird thing that's hard to describe but empaths of old (and now) sometimes tease each other and I wasn't able to tease back and express myself. Instead I sat there a moment wallowing in my lore-choices.)

Err my post got a bit sad-face. I meant to simply reply and say THANK YOU for exploring options so that I feel comfortable using 1125 for my group without carrying minor scar healing herbs as an "after-hunt snack" for my fellow party members.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 04:26 PM CST
> However, just for clarity and to keep expectations realistic. At this time, I'm only exploring very targeted options for addressing the scarring issue on group members that 1125 creates.

Please give all empaths super soakers that hold minor scar healing tinctures so that we can spray group members after a hunt. Clerics and wizards can already soak people, it is only fair.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/16/2018 07:33 PM CST
>Please give all empaths super soakers that hold minor scar healing tinctures so that we can spray group members after a hunt. Clerics and wizards can already soak people, it is only fair.

D:

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/28/2018 06:07 PM CST
I recently adjusted my lores to take scars. I have things set so Troll's Blood does not heal anything higher than 1 wounds so I can take them. This way Troll's Blood keeps my people full of health and doesn't really slow them down. Then I can take their bigger wounds. I do have a brief RT for healing level 2 & 3 scars, but I can step away if need be for that.

Be safe. If you can't be safe, be deadly.
Re: ESN: Scar Tranfer[ence]! 11/29/2018 08:48 AM CST
Can you please better explain how you set Troll's Blood so it does not heal anything higher than Rank 1 wounds? I was not aware it could heal anything higher than Rank 1 wounds. I knew it could heal Rank 2 and 3 scars with the appropriate lores.

--Jen
>Darcena says, "But I cannot give my heart to someone else, when I no longer own it."
>Balley nods, "I hope you will find your heart and heal one day."
>Darcena admits, "I think he ate it."
>Balley's jaw drops, "Really. Men are jerks at times."