The Quest of "The Three Sisters" 01/06/2011 10:12 AM CST
While posting on the unnofficals, the subjects of daggers came about, which I of course was immediately interested in. I love daggers. My favorite dagger is the urnon dagger I own, which is the second Sister. The tale of the daggers was told during the first Anfelt (I think it was the first Anfelt) and from the story, I had the impression the other two sisters was going to be released with a possible mini-storyline/quest involved.

This was many years ago of course. The GM that ran the merchant Thromstal at Anfelt left shortly after releasing the second Sister and the quest/storyline/release of the other two Sisters died.

Now I have never been much of one for storylines and RP, but the story is so good I have always hoped anther GM would pick up the story and run with it. I'm hoping that by me posting what I know here will entice a GM to contact the old GM (if possible) and complete this little story and release the other two daggers.

Here it goes. The story as told by Thromstal at the first or second Anfelt many years ago...

Thromstal says,

Long ago, there was a young dwarf. He loved knives. He always loved knives...their every curve, their every handle, their every nuance. From the youngest age, he made knives. Crude ones when he was but a babe.

As he grew older, he was accepted as an apprentice with a master knife maker. He worked hard and he learned. His master was pleased.

Finally, his skills surpassed that of his teacher. And, knowing the talent with which he was entrusted, the master set him on to his path as a master forger.

The young dwarf set up a forge. He worked night and day over years. His skill became renowned. His work began to gain fame. His forge was so busy that the orders were backed up for years. He grew older, and his work became the stuff of legend.

One shadow-bound night, the master smith, Allistar, heard a knock on the door of his forge. He was tired and inclined to not answer the summons. However, a strange inclination prompted him to answer the knock.

As he opened the door, he beheld an ancient man cloaked in grey. The smith bowed low and greeted his guest saying, “Grandfather. Please come in."

They retired to a comfortable corner of the smithy and sat down. The old man nodded to the smith, saying, “I wish to order a set of knives."

Allistar nodded and said, "It would be an honor sir," for he knew the old man. The figure blurred in the smith's perception, and then he heard, "Three knives...Three knives…and each one a shadow of the night."

The smith bowed his head, unable to gaze directly at his guest. The old man leaned forward. He said in a whisper that the smith heard with his ears and also inside his mind. "The first will be the moonlight. The second will be the shadow of night. And the third will be the dead of night. All [sisters]. All bound."

Without lifting his head, the smith nodded. When he looked up, his guest was gone. In his mind he saw the image of the three weapons and knew how to make them.

The next morning, he closed his forge. The smith set to work making the vision of three knives, recreating that vision in actual metal and wood.

His skill was unsurpassed. His clients came to his workshop and found the door closed. As days went by, people said he was mad. He neither ate nor slept. He only worked, guided by a vision in his mind.

Finally, there was a night when he laid three knives upon his anvil. They were alike in appearance, [sisters] in the night, and as different as light is to dark.

He sat in his forge, awaiting a knock on the door. In the dark hours of the aged night, the knock came. But ‘twas not from whom the smith expected. Other powerful beings, seeing one so knowledgeable sharing secrets of power with a mere mortal, had planned to circumvent this thing.

When the smith opened that door, it was not to the aged being who had entrusted him with such a project. It is said that a host of beings burst into the forge, none from this place.

It is not known what the smith faced that night, but the next morning, he was found. He was desiccated. He was a dry husk of a dwarf. And of the knives...they were gone. And of the three sisters of the night? Well...some think one of the gods got them...a spidery one. No, Arachne could not foil the old man. It goes higher than that.

He came to the forge the next morning. Opening the door, he found the body of the smith. He vowed in honor of the smith who had lost his life in forging the ancient one's order that the knives would never rest in the hand of a deity. Instead, they would be possessed…

By simple mortals.

>get my anci stil from my belt
You remove a thin ancient barbed stiletto from in your suede knife belt.
>l my stil
The stiletto is longer than a normal knife, arched with an admirable profile and armed with fine barbs near its nether point. Its rare urnon blade is night-dark, and as elegant as a blade can be despite its deadly prowess. A carved ironwood handle carries the weapon, carved with a fine pattern of sigils so ancient that their meaning has been lost in the mists of time. Across the blade, ghostly sigils flicker, naming the blade, "Shadows." You also notice a small enchanter's mark.

I've had the dagger worked on a bit since I received it. When Thromstal was at Anfelt, all he did was create daggers for players. Daggers only. Shadows was given out though...he didn't make it. He gave it out via spinner. I didn't win it, but a year or so later I ran across the player that won it and I acquired it at that time. Since I acquired it, I've had an extra enchant added to it and had it permablessed at CCF. It is now 7X, permablessed and made of urnon (no special properties for the urnon).

I'm guessing the other two Sisters are called "Moonlight" and "Death".

I've always loved the story and just want to hear more of it. And to get the daggers of course!

- - - - -
Ron