Prev_page Previous 1
Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 08:23 AM CDT

I’ve noticed my character in his current setup has been severly limited by the loss of some very important quest items from previous paid quests that I was not around for. Some of these quest items one could actually build a character around. I would be willing to pay a *generous premium* specifically just to be able to access some of these past quest items if that can be done. It just doesn’t seem right to have my characters penalized or damaged in some way just because I returned a bit late.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 11:19 AM CDT
I'm a bit confused. Can you please clarify what items your characters don't have that has caused them to be damaged or otherwise severely limited?

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 11:38 AM CDT
Not sure about all that, but I can think of an rp prop or two from some past quests that I could base a guy on.

Maybe a time travel quest that hits a few old stories where you can pick one out of a selection of items from those stories?

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 02:01 PM CDT

Mainly talking about the Ebon Hearts years and years ago I mentioned I would kill for a self-charging 712, well, apparently they were literally handing these out (x5?! a day no less). Again, I’m willing to dole out some serious cash if I can get a chance to go back and get the quest item, this really doesn’t hinder any other player nor does it cause any balancing issues, this is just a private matter by a returning player who showed up a tad late to the party.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 02:37 PM CDT
I too am sad I missed out on the heart, albeit for 1606 in my case, but because of its lore I don't expect or even necessarily want another chance at that specific quest item. But it's not impossible to see it in other forms; there was even a limited-quantity opportunity to be spun to get 712 on a rune tattoo or magical item at CCF back in May. Personally, I'd recommend asking for x/days in the Duskruin wishlist thread:

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20SimuCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view/9801

(All that said, I wouldn't call not having 712 or any other outside spell a penalty... more like having it would be a bonus.)

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 03:11 PM CDT
The hearts were a project piece that started in 2013 and ended in 2016. While they are definitely nice, I don't think they would stunt general game play. In fact, I don't think anything from any paid event is needed to progress in GS. There are plenty of cool factors to be had, and power is fun to gain, but definitely not necessary in Gemstone IV.

There is a current project piece, which isn't a straight buff, but it's outside of the box. The bracelets from Caligos.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 03:12 PM CDT
x/day of Cloak of Shadows would be nice, yes. <nod>
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 03:52 PM CDT
I was thinking of the EG fragments. That is the one I would go back for.

Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,
And the stream that falls from the hill to plain.
Better than rain or rippling brook,
Is a mug of beer inside this Took.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 04:34 PM CDT
I'd pay to redo a portion of the GSS so I could get the other three parts of the sword in addition to the one I secured. Or, hey, the whole sword, already forged. That'd be pretty sweet and completely appropriate to my main character.

- Overlord EK

Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/01/2018 06:15 PM CDT
I'd argue that the Hearts weren't actually "handed" out. One, you had to pay to attend each EG, two you had to do the Necropolis quest for the heart (and build upon it each subsequent year for the extra charges), you had to pay for the simucoin item that would make it a non-cursing item, and (I believe that, if you wanted it) you had to pay for yet another simucoin item to get the spirit-infusion capability on it.

I was lucky that I was able to go to the last EG at Feywrot, and was able to get a heart, but I was only able to get the minimum 3x/day, since I didn't get it from previous years. I was bummed that I wasn't able to get more than one heart, or get extra charges, but that's what I got for showing up late to the 'party', as it were.

Having or not having the heart isn't a game-balance-breaking thing, nor should it be a character-breaking item. There's plenty of other things out there that can offer 211/712/1606, you just gotta look in the right places. Plus, it really shouldn't be 'severely limiting' to not have access to spells that you don't normally have access to, or that can't be other-cast by other people.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 05:30 AM CDT

I would gladly pay 75 bucks for a x/day CoS item. And that’s the thing, there really isn’t a way to get CoS or Dauntless unless you drastically alter your character’s training path or do something else that’s not really feasible. While with this, I can just raise it and be done with it. I got the idea this EG actually. If you can snap your fingers and bring back the necrop why not put a simucoin barred door and let us get the hearts as well? It doesn’t seem like too much of a tall order.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 07:19 AM CDT

Your suggestion comes out to wanting an x/day cos item for 15m silvers and it would have to be open to everyone.

What I think would be more realistic would be to keep an eye on the shop spellbound at duskruin. I can’t imagine what dev would have to price it at for such a solid defensive spell. 30k bs for 1x/day wouldn’t surprise me
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 12:58 PM CDT

No. Not talking about paying in silvers. I’m saying 75 U.S. Dollars cash, heck 150 bucks cash. It was a dream (wish I can dredge up that old forum post) of being able to get something like this and it became very real between 2013~2016 and I don’t think it’s too fair to penalize people just because they weren’t around for it (darn that real life!). I mean, this isn’t a giftbox item everyone got for the web transition, this is a serious piece of hardware. To simulate something like this through scrolls (which run out quick even if you got a high level sorc) will require massive post cap TP investment as well as a scroll infusing sorc and of course the actual scrolls which there is no stable supply of. I wouldn’t be complaining if there were some other way (or an item in HESS etc.) that can do the exact same thing, but there isn’t.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 01:16 PM CDT
Some people miss things. Either on a particular day, or because they were gone for several years.
(I didn't get one, despite the mechanical benefits, because I was unwilling [crowds] to go to the festival [money].)

When you start working for a new company, and their vacation policy is currently 3 weeks per year for new hires, but five years ago it was 4.4 weeks per year for new hires, do you ask for the difference because you were done out of it (by not working for them then)?

You missed it. It's gone.

Find new items.
(Even suggest their capabilities/usability/cost/availability.)
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 03:06 PM CDT

Absolutely,and in fact there’s clawback for people who haven’t met requiremrnts for vacation time... going into the future. And that’s someone’s job we’re talking about.

This is some silly quest you throw 50 bucks over 3 years for and in return you get a capstone legendary item that’s mechanically (and probably in silvers) worth more than a golvern claidhmore. Back in 2010 if you whipped out a 5x/day self-charger CoS requiring little (is it zero?) MIU and threw it on the open market it would easily top 100 mil probably a lot more. And I just noticed the spirit battery (insane) this could go in a grand auction and noone would bat an eye and probably it’ll be up there in terms of most prized.

Talk about a participation trophy! Yowzers!

In Law there is something called ‘precedent’, which is there so everyone going forward from when that precedent was set can be treated equally by the court. In game terms this is tantamount to my character hard capping his stats at 90 rather than 100, especially since this item isn’t unique or earned but rather effectively doled out to anyone who participated at Feywrot.

I know you guys all have one and it’s hard to see it from the perspective of someone like me but because it’s character bound (I can never acquire it) this isn’t an item much less a direct buff to the character itself (it’s as if everyone’s stats maxes out at 105 but mine is still at 100) and it’s like my character is forever flawed because of it. (it is, no other way to look at it).
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 03:25 PM CDT
>> In Law there is something called ‘precedent’, which is there so everyone going forward from when that precedent was set can be treated equally by the court. In game terms this is tantamount to my character hard capping his stats at 90 rather than 100, especially since this item isn’t unique or earned but rather effectively doled out to anyone who participated at Feywrot.

>> I know you guys all have one and it’s hard to see it from the perspective of someone like me but because it’s character bound (I can never acquire it) this isn’t an item much less a direct buff to the character itself (it’s as if everyone’s stats maxes out at 105 but mine is still at 100) and it’s like my character is forever flawed because of it. (it is, no other way to look at it)

I really think you are significantly overstating the impact of these items on every day game play. I have 3 or 4 of these items across a few characters from my participation over the years and I can count the number of times I've actually used them on one five fingered hand (I generally forget that I have them or what spell they have). You are welcome to argue that I'm effectively hampering myself by capping my stats at 90 rather than 100 but the reality is that this simply is not true. There are many other ways to gain additional spells / buffs on your character outside of having one of these items (which are what I typically use if I bother to buff anything outside of normal self cast spells at all.)

You are also understating the time and effort that was required to acquire them. You had to go, and pay to go, each year. You had to spend time in the necropolis during each EG at the expense of time you could have spent on other activities, and then you had to spend actual $ on top of this to unlock certain features.

Simply handing these out to players now (even for more $) in many ways diminishes the accomplishment for the folks that did put in the time, effort, and $ to acquire these items when they were available. To your poorly used legal example, I think there is a 'precedent' in place already which says that you reap the rewards from the events that you participate in.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 03:45 PM CDT
It does require MIU to activate, especially if you want any real duration for the spell, though that's kind of a minor point.

I'm saying this as a capped cleric with 2x MIU who would get 9.25 hours from a 5x/day item and missed out on getting one... I have no doubt that one day I'll have that many daily uses. There'll be future opportunities in some form, whether it's a 1x/day at Duskruin, an auction, spins at a high end silver event, or something else. The most recent chance was less than six months ago as a rune tattoo.

https://gswiki.play.net/Leafiara
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 04:47 PM CDT
"mechanically (and probably in silvers) worth more than a golvern claidhmore." -- Khavor

I beg your pardon; your hyperbole is showing.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:14 PM CDT

I did Necrop, it was doled out. There's posts on other boards that effectively stated, "yeah, just go in a group you'll get it in under an hour." This wasn't some, "only 3 will survive this, maybe... if your name is Roblar." kind of thing. If you put in a few hours (really just having fun playing the game) you would've gotten it (heck there was a script written for it) and Necrop was FUN! the GM that did Necrop was on ball and he dropped it in Caligos imho (after getting a chance to taste both), if it was the same person.

I spent more than 50 bucks this EG (and was planning more till I realized I got everything I needed) so that was a non-issue. Remember, if I were at the event that 50 bucks was for ALL of EG the heart just came with it.

Finally, there is no way to get 5x casts of CoS every. single. day. And if you got any idea on how, please share. In order to even begin simulating that, I would need a high level Sorcerer alt just for scroll infusion, find or more likely buy CoS scrolls (probably crazy rare), and then completely alter my characters training path to Arcane Symbols. CoS is incredibly powerful, probably a reason why it's the only defensive spell on the Sorc list. +25 DS and +20 TD(?!) is absolutely nuts. I have a 6x +8 permanent TD T5 encorcelled shield that will sell for 25 mil+ in a snap. And that's a shield, this thing is a spell able to be worn by anyone. Do you know how insanely valuable an extra +20 to TD (generic,on top of everything else) is to a warrior? It's priceless. And it can be had every.single.day.5x.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:28 PM CDT

Also, I smell a little "it's not enough that I win, everyone else must lose" coming from some of the respondents. Yes, your character is forever better than mine it's true, I can never just get online raise some random doled out character-bound object and get one of the sweetest defensive spells in the game. No. Never. And if there were some other way, it would just as likely be open to you as well.

This doesn't affect anyone's character here, just mine, I want to enjoy the game as well but I just can't or really losing motivation working on a character that's hobbled permanently versus pretty much anyone that was playing between 12~16'.

It was an easy-to-get buff that drastically increases the power of your character permanently, that people not playing between 12~16' can never have. I just don't think you're looking at this objectively. It's a permanent handicap for anyone making a character after 16', there is simply no way to look at it from another perspective, believe me I have been desperately trying to these past few weeks.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:39 PM CDT

Leafy,

That's the crux of the issue at hand. This wasn't some raffle or that literal 'Cloak of Shadows' that does CoS x1 a day. Those are legit won or hard gained items either through luck or going through Dusk 1 trillion times, to those people I say respect and enjoy your item. Plus, these are unique items like Excalibur.

No, this is a participation trophy that anyone could have gotten, literally a watery tart was distributing Excaliburs between 12'~16' ad infinitum. That's the issue. Basically, between 12'~16' in the month of October if you paid 50 bucks (peanuts, especially for this game), you would've gotten a permanent awesome buff to your character, a GM reached into the character manager and started adding numbers to your stats.

The only consolation to all this Leafy is that you're in the same boat as I am. Let's bask in the warm glow of our permanently gimped characters.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:45 PM CDT
>> there is simply no way to look at it from another perspective, believe me I have been desperately trying to these past few weeks.

I assure you... there is.

-- Robert

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:57 PM CDT
Given the undead-theme with the heart and all, I wonder if new ones could be items one gets from doing enough Reim? If they were there, it'd let people get them who missed them (maybe this way, there'd be a per character limit?), or characters that missed out, to get them for a similar event investment. Or something from the quest system otherwise.

_ _ _
Myasara says, "Raining rocks down on my city was not the best course of action."
- - -
Nishima put a group of five partially frozen corpses in the Nishima disk.
Several frozen limbs peek out of the disk in a macabre fashion.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/02/2018 08:57 PM CDT
I wasn't actively playing during the Feywrot period, and I missed out on the hearts, too. But c'est la vie. By the same logic you're using, we should all be able to buy the Eye of Thalior because we missed out back in 1992.

~ Nuadjha, the Briar Fox

You inhale deeply upon your pipe, puckering your lips as you send out three rings of smoke before you, then puff out a small vine of smoke that darts right through all three which causes them to disperse in a hazy shroud!
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 05:52 AM CDT

Are you being sarcastic Briar? Not sure hence why I’m asking.

The eye of Thalior is a single unique one-of-a-kind item.(it’s even named after the one player that owned it) This heart anyone could have gotten as long as you participated in Feywrot, doled out much like the Caligos rings. That example (if serious) makes zero sense. Also, if I wanted the eye I could buy it off whoever has it now (unless it’s lost in the sands of time which then noone can have it).

@Wyrom
Here’s the bottom line. If you open Necrop back up (which you guys already did; so no in-game problems there) and let us buy-in (willing to pay Simu A LOT) just to let us get the hearts (not asking you to open all of Feywrot here) it would make a lot people who are in the same boat very happy.

*Doesn’t negatively affect anyone.
*Probably just a flag or two to let us grab the hearts in there.(it was already fully opened!)
*Simucoin only for uncursing (no problem, I’ll buy that too).
*Will pay a premium to get this. (and you may think I may not after you implement, no prob, I’ll buy the Simucoin on standby as long as you give the OK on this.)
*Undoes a lot of people’s permanently damaged characters by letting us get this direct character buff.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 08:00 AM CDT
>*Undoes a lot of people’s permanently damaged characters---KHAVOR

I honestly still do not understand this perspective. My mage and my sorcerer, both of whom I have been playing a lot more than my "main" for a good while now, do not have the black ora heart item because neither was especially active (or, in the sorcerer's case, created) during the entirety of Feywrot Mire. I don't consider either of them "permanently damaged" because they don't have it. Can you please clarify how my characters are permanently damaged? If that is actually the case, I feel that I should be as upset as you are in this thread.

- Overlord EK

Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 10:01 AM CDT
I could have gotten this heart on 3 characters and couldnt be bothered to do it. I have ZERO issues hunting as a capped Paladin or Wizard WITHOUT the heart.

I understand that you missed out on the opportunity to acquire, from your perspective, a great item. No arguement there. Just like I missed out on 20k Bloodscrip Nerve Staves with Rot Flares and Acuity Flares because I was not playing when they were released. 20k Bloodscrip for a rune staff with rot flares. 20k. -.-

My character IS NOT permanently damaged because I missed out on the opportunity to acquire a rot flare rune staff for 20k though.

As I gaze over the horizon, the wind tugs at my cloak and whispers, "Adventure" in my ear.

Whick's body sways back and forth for a bit.
* Whick drops dead at your feet!

Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 11:26 AM CDT
A post was hidden in this thread. Let's not resort to personal attacks.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 11:43 AM CDT

Seems like it'd be a huge hassle to bring something like this back, because while it would afford some people a chance at one, it'd give others yet another upgrade, right? Or is the proposition that it only be offered to people that missed at least 1 of the 3 years the event ran? Even if you get one, though, wouldn't you still feel like you're behind people that now have FOUR years' worth of upgrades?

Where does the madness end!

I think this is a great idea, though. I'd love an x/day 712 item for the current-market equivalent of ~10 million silvers.

If we're bringing back events, I stopped playing for about 3 months that just happened to coincide with the 2016 auction. I'd appreciate one of those items, please.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 11:48 AM CDT
The black ora hearts will not be coming back. They were exclusive to Feywrot Mire's storyline of the Necropolis.

But if you want some data, I can offer you some.

~50% of EG ticket goers did the Necropolis each year (number doesn't reflect multi-ticket characters)
~33% of all hearts were Cloak of Shadows.
~20% of hearts were finished.
~10% of hearts had a holy ether applied.
~5% of hearts went through the finale.

These numbers are the averages from 2013 to 2016 (4 years). The Necropolis didn't really get popular until 2015 though. Year one's numbers were pretty low. Also, numbers don't include ethers found in digging (both Duskruin and EG). I also don't have data on people who selected multiple hearts rather than upgrading (this was a hindsight thing, as I figured everyone would upgrade).

Getting a 712 imbeddible or an x/day item isn't unheard of though. We had a handful over the year in the normal, everyday feeders.

Wyrom, PM
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 04:10 PM CDT
That opportunity has come and gone. You missed it. Move on.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 04:10 PM CDT

Why is this so incredibly difficult for people to understand? This is not a great auction item, you are not spending 500 million silvers on a Captain America shield. This is a handout of a quest item that could have been gotten by anyone as long as they were active in between 2013 ~ 2016. Why is this distinction so difficult to grasp?

Furthermore, I can buy that captain America shield somehow someway, you cannot buy a black ora heart, it’s permanently bound. In fact, just right now on the other forums there is someone selling a way post-cap warrior and guess what? second line in the description, “has dauntless black ora heart”. You actually can’t even get dauntless on a scroll! so for that spell you really are completely screwed.

Finally, I am just absolutely curious. Humor me! Why are you guys so adamant in preventing one guy from getting a hand-out quest item that’ll probably cost me way more in US$ than you ever paid. Give me a straight up answer. Too hard to implement? You serious? They just on a whim started up the entierty of necrop in the middle of the Caligos storyline! just like that! So it can’t be “in-game” issues or even technical issues.

These things are bound there is absolutely no affect to your character in any way shape or form. It just affects my character. So then why? There’s only one selfish, vindictive answer, curious if one of you here has the guts to say it.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 04:25 PM CDT

I think its pretty much because the Product Manager has said not once, but twice now, that the hearts are not coming back?
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 05:15 PM CDT
Dude. Wyrom (aka, THE PM of GEMSTONE IV) has said, not once, but twice, the hearts are NOT coming back.

Also: PLENTY of other people out there with multiple characters in the lands don't have the hearts/ethers. Do you see them complaining? Nope. Do you see them saying their characteers are gimped, suffering, affected, etc. etc. because they don't have the hearts/ethers that others have? Nope. You don't see other people saying, 'Hey! I wasn't here for these years! Give me these item(s) that I wasn't around for, because they're stupid-amazing!' Nope.

Suck it up. You weren't here when they were available, and they aren't going to be available again. Thems hows it's gonna be. Plenty of us weren't around when other stuff was available. We see those items, we may drool over them, but we don't repeatedly complain that our characters are 'broken' because we don't have them.

Your character(s) aren't gimped, they aren't severly underpowered, they aren't 'broken', they'll still get to cap at some point... just not with the hearts/ethers that some others have.

~Cylnthia Kythnis Ardenai
~Paragon of Kuon
~Rose Guardian, House Sylvanfair
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/03/2018 05:27 PM CDT

sigh Well you’re the big boss so there’s nothing I can do. I just hope there’s some scroll, imbedables shop, whatever with some of these spells in the upcoming Dusk/Events/festival. I’m definitely not alone in this position. Thanks everyone.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/04/2018 04:50 AM CST
<<<Just like I missed out on 20k Bloodscrip Nerve Staves with Rot Flares and Acuity Flares because I was not playing when they were released. 20k Bloodscrip for a rune staff with rot flares. 20k. -.->>>

FYI, it was 50k ;)
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/04/2018 08:17 AM CST
<<<Just like I missed out on 20k Bloodscrip Nerve Staves with Rot Flares and Acuity Flares because I was not playing when they were released. 20k Bloodscrip for a rune staff with rot flares. 20k. -.->>>

>>FYI, it was 50k ;)

And there were only a small handful available. You had to be really quick at the scrip gathering and a bit lucky too.

Speaking in Faendryl, Jahosk says, "You will now be known as Blade Durakar, the Palestra."
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/04/2018 11:38 PM CST

>FYI, it was 50k ;)

And it was back when sewers gave ~90 scrip per run
And a ~5 minute arena run was only worth ~130 scrip (you waited 20 minutes, I think it was, if you wanted the max ~225)
And no one had bloodscrip saved up from prior runs

> And there were only a small handful available.
Yeah. 3, IIRC.
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/04/2018 11:54 PM CST
<And it was back when sewers gave ~90 scrip per run
And a ~5 minute arena run was only worth ~130 scrip (you waited 20 minutes, I think it was, if you wanted the max ~225)
And no one had bloodscrip saved up from prior runs

> And there were only a small handful available.
Yeah. 3, IIRC.>

Sorta.

Correct on the sewers. The arena was also different but I got the 2nd rot flare runestaff in 18 hrs or so by not maxing the scrip per run and going for speed (didn't get a prize per either).

I didn't start immediately and was kind of a late request for me to select it. The first person was buying alot of other's script.

I had some bloodscrip I think 12k saved up and would have had more if not for previous sales (this was before high end stuff so wasn't much for me to spend on).

There was initially 3 I think maybe 5. But then another 2 or 3 were restocked. My fear of doing all that (it was my first painful Duskruin grind) and inventory being gone were unfounded!
Re: Any chance of getting previous quest items? 11/05/2018 08:29 AM CST
"Are you being sarcastic Briar? Not sure hence why I’m asking.
The eye of Thalior is a single unique one-of-a-kind item.(it’s even named after the one player that owned it)" -- Khavor

Note that the item itself was just an eye; player usage is where the capitals & possessive came from.
(Pretty sure it was from the '94 or '95 HSN Auction.)

However, Nuadjha's logic is good: ask for the off-the-shelf xenium-hilted (so, lighter) serrated laen claidhmores, or the off-the-shelf frost giant skin cloaks (Enchantable DB items), because you missed those merchants. It's the same reasoning.
Prev_page Previous 1