Event calendar 02/09/2016 07:34 PM CST
Is it possible for us to get some kind of calendar of pay events for the rest of the year? Even if it's as simple as "events for Q4" and a list it would be helpful. I am trying to budget my silvers and dollars.

~ The girl behind Debia

Contribute to the economy of Debia! You too can make a difference!
https://ps.lichproject.org/shops/3141
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 10:08 AM CST
We'll be doing Ebon Gate!

___
ASGM of World Development
Events
Loot Czar
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 02:11 PM CST
I'll take a crack!

PAY events mentioned so far:

Duskruin - April (not counting the March bloodscrip event since prepaid to Simu at this point)
Ebon Gate - late October
Grand Auction - 4th quarter but unlikely to be before EG so Nov-Dec

I assume 1-3 (probably 2?) additional spring/summer Duskruins, and several free fests and mini pay events of the Albatross, Spire, Expression Faire nature.
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 06:32 PM CST
>>Duskruin - April

Check.

>>Ebon Gate - late October

Check.

>>Grand Auction - 4th quarter but unlikely to be before EG so Nov-Dec

I can confirm that there will be an auction in 2016 barring unforeseen space stations crashing on Wyrom's head, or the ground beneath me turning to quicksand and swallowing me whole. No further details yet!

>>Albatross, Spire, SEF stuff

Planned, yes. Scheduled yet, no.

Aside from these things, we don't have any other large festivals (ie BMC, Ebon Gate type things) planned for this year. I'm working on next year already /hums

~Liia
APM, Events & World Development

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 08:36 PM CST
Aside from these things, we don't have any other large festivals (ie BMC, Ebon Gate type things) planned for this year. I'm working on next year already /hums
~Liia

While planning future events, will you be sure to review the costs for services like AsG changes so that people with 10x 40 point armor aren't charged the same price as people with 4x armor?

It would be greatly appreciated if the costs scaled to the armors benefits, instead of AsG alone.
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 08:53 PM CST
>>While planning future events, will you be sure to review the costs for services like AsG changes so that people with 10x 40 point armor aren't charged the same price as people with 4x armor?
>>It would be greatly appreciated if the costs scaled to the armors benefits, instead of AsG alone.

I'd rather see them stay flat rate on it, much easier to prepare for payment than a scaling system where the GM has to check the item out at the time of the service. All I ask, can we get more notice on things like the pricing? More than 2 months in advance of the event would be great.

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 09:04 PM CST
>>pricing stuff

Pricing for these mechanical services are determined by the Development team based on specific formulas. There is a lot that can come into play with some of them, and so the GM will sometimes have to calculate on the spot when s/he sees the item.

As for the timing, if it's a flat cost, I can ask the GMs running such services in the future to post more details when they do teasers. Two months before an event, though, isn't likely. Event planning is a multi-step process, and it's not common to have those details that far in advance.

~Liia

Dear My Favoritest Liia,
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my barbie-loving soul can reach... (even when you set me on fire)
~Issalya
Re: Event calendar 02/10/2016 10:53 PM CST
I'd rather see them stay flat rate on it, much easier to prepare for payment than a scaling system where the GM has to check the item out at the time of the service. All I ask, can we get more notice on things like the pricing? More than 2 months in advance of the event would be great.

I'm sure you would, because you paid 3m for your AsG change on masterfully crit padded armor, while another person paid 16 million to change plain 4x armor. Does that seem fair to you? It doesn't seem fair to me.

>>pricing stuff
Pricing for these mechanical services are determined by the Development team based on specific formulas. There is a lot that can come into play with some of them, and so the GM will sometimes have to calculate on the spot when s/he sees the item.
As for the timing, if it's a flat cost, I can ask the GMs running such services in the future to post more details when they do teasers. Two months before an event, though, isn't likely. Event planning is a multi-step process, and it's not common to have those details that far in advance.
~Liia

I assumed as the head of Events that you were responsible for the costs. I'll save my scorn for the Dev team for their poor execution of this service during BMC. Why their formula didn't take into account enchant or padding is mind boggling, and seems like a huge mistake.
Re: Event calendar 02/11/2016 08:41 AM CST
I'd be curious as to why someone is willing to pay 16m to change the AsG of plain 4x armor in the first place. Why not just buy a brand new set of 4x armor (250k) and get it altered to look like your old armor (1-2m if you buy a premium scroll).

The service kinda regulates itself in that if you've got armor that's so awesome you can't replace it, and you want to change the AsG 3 levels, it's gonna cost a penny. Otherwise, it's cheaper to find another alternative.
Re: Event calendar 02/11/2016 08:53 PM CST
I'd be curious as to why someone is willing to pay 16m to change the AsG of plain 4x armor in the first place. Why not just buy a brand new set of 4x armor (250k) and get it altered to look like your old armor (1-2m if you buy a premium scroll).
The service kinda regulates itself in that if you've got armor that's so awesome you can't replace it, and you want to change the AsG 3 levels, it's gonna cost a penny. Otherwise, it's cheaper to find another alternative.

There are unique armors out there that simply cannot be replaced. Does being unique provide the same benefits as masterful padding? The fact remains, that whether your armor is 4x, or 10x 40 point fusion, it costs the same amount. Which is wrong.

Enchanting for example, was limited to heavy/exceptional padding and the cost was dependent upon the stats of the item being enchanted.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 07:36 AM CST
>>There are unique armors out there that simply cannot be replaced.

Then that probably falls outside the category of "plain 4x armor."

Enchanting is different in that it drastically changes the price of the armor. Changing AsG within an armor class isn't going to change the cost of an item appreciably (except maybe going from 18/19 to 17/20.) That's why the surcharge is there: it's the merchants getting a piece of the action from the value they're adding to the piece.

Like I said, it's self-regulating. People will only be willing to spend high silver on a triple-AsG move for armor that's already hot sh*t.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 09:18 AM CST
>>There are unique armors out there that simply cannot be replaced.
Then that probably falls outside the category of "plain 4x armor."
Enchanting is different in that it drastically changes the price of the armor. Changing AsG within an armor class isn't going to change the cost of an item appreciably (except maybe going from 18/19 to 17/20.) That's why the surcharge is there: it's the merchants getting a piece of the action from the value they're adding to the piece.
Like I said, it's self-regulating. People will only be willing to spend high silver on a triple-AsG move for armor that's already *.

I don't have time to educate you about this situation, so I'll just say that 4x armor would cost the same price as 10x armor with 40 points of padding and scripts, and anything else you can toss on it.

That's wrong. End of story.

Better armor should cost more to change. Just like it does in every other system.

The fact that you think a triple-AsG move should only be used on armor that's already the best, is laughable.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 12:13 PM CST
The fact that you can change the AsG of armor in the first place is a rather uncertain idea. I agree that the cost should take other factors such as padding into consideration when determining a price. 4x armor with heavy padding SHOULD be more expensive than regular 4x armor for the purposes of pricing, and the price SHOULD scale up with the sum of these factors, so that 10x T5 masterfully weighted spiked sanctified functional scripted etc. armor will cost more silver than most people have. Also, merchant enchanting services should work the same way. Rather than capping what can and can't be worked on, employ a sliding cost system. Since it'll be hard to calculate, let people walk up to the tent and have an NPC who can appraise their items before the merchant is scheduled to work.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 12:17 PM CST
The fact that you can change the AsG of armor in the first place is a rather uncertain idea.

If we're going for realism here, it would have been far more common and easily done in the time period GS is set in. How hard would it be to rip the arms off leather armor?

Maybe it shouldn't be a merchant only service and it should be added to the armor shop.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 12:35 PM CST
>>Better armor should cost more to change. Just like it does in every other system.

Question: Why doesn't it cost more to get high end padded/weighted/whatever items altered?
Answer: Because it doesn't significantly change the value of the item. Just like changing the AsG.

---

It's a message board and we're having a discussion, you don't have to speak like everything you say is gospel and anyone who thinks otherwise is garbage. It's an exchange of ideas, stop being pretentious and get over yourself.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 01:04 PM CST
>>Better armor should cost more to change. Just like it does in every other system.
Question: Why doesn't it cost more to get high end padded/weighted/whatever items altered?
Answer: Because it doesn't significantly change the value of the item. Just like changing the AsG.

Probably because an alteration is not a mechanical change.

It's hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn't even understand the difference between a mechanical change and an alteration.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 01:29 PM CST
It's even harder to have a discussion with someone who can't see the big picture: it doesn't matter what kind of change it is. It's a change that doesn't intrinsically affect the value of the item.

Lightens/deepens aren't mechanical? Why don't those cost more as well on fancier items? Read above to find the answer.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 01:38 PM CST
Comparing AsG changes on armor to alterations and lightening is disingenuous at best. There was a reason that it was considered a major win.

Enchant and padding should of course play a factor in the cost of the service. This is just common sense.
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 02:03 PM CST
Agree to disagree!
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 03:50 PM CST
Er... don't different ASGs provide less or more body parts covered?

Major win in my book...

Just an elf about town...
Re: Event calendar 02/12/2016 06:07 PM CST
AsG is an odd thing though since you can wear armor accessory pieces to increase your coverage. When a character wears an accessory such as greaves to increase the coverage of their armor, the AsG remains unchanged but the penalties (moving, casting, RT) change to correspond with the greatest degree of coverage. For example, if a character was wearing light leather that covers just the torso, they might decide to add arm greaves at one point. The behavior of the character's armor would then change to that of full leather since the total coverage would then be torso and arms.

Doing the AsG change allows you to forgo these accessory pieces and have the armor's stats cover all areas encompassed by the new AsG. This change, while often a beneficial one, does come with some penalties as well. You have to take into account the increased training required to train off any action penalty, RT, or spell hindrance. And some of that can never be trained off, just reduced to it's minimal level such as double leathers having a minimum 4% failure rate with Wizard and MjE spells & a minimum 2% failure rate with MnM, Sorc, and Bard spells. They often have a higher base and minimum weight as well.

While there are advantages to changing the AsG, doing so offers up disadvantages as well in ways that Enchanting, Ensorcelling, Weighting, and Padding an item don't. The disadvantage offered by these is more in the form of an opportunity cost. If you pad armor then you lose out on the ability to flare it later if you would have wanted, or maybe on the ability to ensorcel it if it is now outside of anyone's ability.

AsG changing is also a rare service with this being the first time I have seen it offered outside of a high-priced event. While it can be used on anything, it would be a waste of such a rare service to change plain 4x armor over when that can be found off the shelf in a half a hundred or more locations.

An announcer shouts, "Introducing our new combatant, Duskruin Arena Hero Durakar al'Yari Faendryl the Captain of the Mist Harbor Militia, hailing from Isle of the Four Winds!"