A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/02/2015 03:08 PM CDT

I doubt if I have received more than 10-15 services in my entire history of playing Gemstone and that's having paid for at least 6-7 paid events. This is not a rant about the big bad evil Simu., but there are several reasons that I have received so few.....

1. I have Astigmatism, very dirty cataract implants that need 1200 bucks to be laser cleaned, and the normal vision problems with being almost 57 years old. I just don't do well with crowded rooms with so much going on. Often you can mess up and miss because of so much going on. How do I deal with all the info scrolling by in hunting you might ask? As I advance to the more challenging hunting I highlight the important stuff and ignore what I don't need to see.

2. I have a logical mind, but have not a smidgen at all of creativity. Designing anything has never appealed to me in acquiring gear. I want gear that looks cool and has functionality.

So ideally for me to solve problem 1. I wouldn't mind at all being yanked into the service merchants area from wherever with a limited number of people talking and performing actions. Doesn't have to be a completely silenced situation as I know that can be done. I understand and think Simu does a great job in ways people are selected for services, I just can't sit in one spot of scroll for long periods of time. Ever had captions in a movie you couldn't read fast enough to keep up with? Its that squared...

2. The way I'd like to be able to get outfitted lacking personal design talent, would be acquiring a really nice starter set of gear of say 10 pieces. Then over time at different events be able to get services to improve THAT set, and add additional pieces. I tried and was doing that type of thing when the Golden Hawks were an active group. I know its not everyone's cup of tea, but I'd just love to see a standard set of gear for groups, even if the group is not really an existing group in player base.

In many groups, even other than military, theres a standard uniform. Sports teams, school uniforms, marching bands etc... I don't need to have the uber bun whacker of doom in the starter set, but a alter of one if I already had it to match the set would be great! Like the way they skin in MMOs. Never been a great roleplayer, but I want to improve my skills and having the look of whatever the group is I wish to portray would come a long way.

I doubt if there's a more talented group of item designers from a visual perspective than the GMs in GSIV. I don't mind relying on them to come up with some standardised looking sets.

Costs.... not being in a position of spending a lot of cash at once, but don't mind coughing up for the starter set at an price point of around 40 bucks. Then smaller amounts over time to upgrade the functionality and number pieces.

I'd love to have a set of gear from (Just a quick example) Voln's second regiment of Elven compassionate releasers. Or somesuch. Services for the 10 piece set could acquire existing services, but also have set bonuses. So if you are wearing the entire 10 part set you get an extra 5% favor. Each time you add an additional piece of gear you would unlock further set bonuses. More favor or additional abilities. Like unlocking tiers on single items now.

Adding Infusion abilities to socket items like the graphical MMOs was a brilliant idea. Why not try adding set bonuses? Considering Ebon's Gate the Voln example would be great place to start (not dissing other groups they can have their sets too). I'd gladly fork over for an Ebon's gate ticket If I got the starter set and a chance for some upgrades and additional parts. Also to continue to fork over at paid events if I could get additional parts and a chance at additional improvements.

There were weapons a long time ago that were more powerful the more in the same room. That could be an option for militant groups. The Dhe'nar legion of mean elves. Each member of the group hunting and using the set weapon has an increased chance for the set flare. So if there's 5 in the group theres an additional 10% chance to flare etc... The weapon being part of the 10 piece set would garner the 10 part set bonus, and the group flare bonus if in a group.

Can tie the set or group bonus to everything and anything that will have appeal. AS,CS,DS,TD, mana,health, regen.

Could even have it all geared towards quests and invasions. Ice Mule trace is being attacked by the ogre buttheads. Will the halflings and their allies muster enough strength to defeat them? Possibly tie special group abilities to special critter abilities so it balances out.

Bring on the big boss fights like graphics games have. IE special abilities of groups gear is a defence shield of some type. Every time the boss hits you you loose a small % of your shield. The boss has scaling health to average of the combat groups damage potential. The boss has different abilities to temporarily take you out of doing damage or reducing damage. Sleeps, knockdowns, stuns, etc... Without you being instantly ganked because the defence ability is still helping. Purpose of all this is to slow down boss and character deaths.

Simulate the holy trilogy with melee on the ground fighting the boss, healers and ranged unable to be meleed by the boss, but susceptible to the bosses ranged now and then.

I know I went a lot of places with this message, but maybe theres some usefulness within.

Just an elf about town...
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 02:11 AM CDT
Some of these thoughts I like quite a lot.

I think set items are absolutely the logical extension of Fusion. The idea of events triggered around those sets is entertaining too.

Several GMs already have their merchants do "pluck people away" selection.

I'll give a touch of advice though. As I've often said, the best item in Gemstone is friends. I'm only about 60% of your age but I can totally get lost in screen scroll myself. Having chat rooms and people to give you appropriate highlights can make all the difference. People can even script alert sounds to events in GS now. That can help a whole lot with merchant events.
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 07:17 AM CDT
Yup, although I don't have any close friends Ingame, I do bump into people I knew from past playing stints. I also have a few casual new friends. I played off and on about half of the time since GS-2. Not a great roleplayer, but want to improve. I'll freely admit I like to advance fast though. I'm at level 43 trainings since early February.

I'm not a great writer so most of what I put out there is stream of thought, but occasionally something gets kicked in. The very first encumbrance bags that were auctioned off way long time ago the GM created them from a post of mine. I'd played DnD and basically asked for Bags-of-holding. If I remember correctly one of the auction winners sold their win for like 200 mil. No way I'd pay 200 mil for one, you can definitely play threw this game with 4X gear.

I was involved with the Golden Hawks in my last run of playing Gemstone and that framework really helped me at the time to slow down and smell the flowers a bit more than usual even if not all the time. Because I start fresh each stint and don't spend mega millions on items I don't have much. I'm a good resource for those that do acquire mega million priced items though... I'd definitely sell that bag above for 200 million.

Everyone has a different play style and ability, but this game is about roleplaying. People like to advance though and Simu had to adapt, if I'm correct in my memory the game was originally based on a level 20 cap. They kept increasing it because the player base wanted it, but it broke down the game systems and they reduced the level cap to 100 and came up with a very good system for post-cap advancement. I don't want to even know how many hours of play it would take to max out ALL of the training options in the skill set, but I was at or close to triple cap last stint.

Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 11:08 AM CDT
Okay just to go over a few things.

10-15 Services at 6-7 Events is incredibly low. You either have to not try or be unable to attend the events properly because of schedule problems to get that low. At the last Ebon Gate I probably doubled that in services with a little effort. (Not no sleep, glued to computer but just a little.) I know real life problems happen and such so I'm not assuming it is all your fault, but services aren't that hard to come by.

To your points:

1. I'm sorry, wish there was a better answer. Wish people especially with ambients would keep the scroll to a minimum in rooms. Or that there was a squelch ambient message option. Some of the merchants do "fish hook" at pay events. Essentially an item appears in the room and if you get it you get pulled to a 1 on 1 session. I like those and wish there were more... even though I tend not to get them. lol

2. There were several sets of gear available at EG and now in Duskruin. Generally the GMs tend to develop a set of clothing (Adventure Wear comes directly to mind.) That looks nice and works together. In addition to being scripted I found that the containers were nice sizes and worked together well too. If you're talking armor and weapons. Maybe there is some room for that. Like a set of armor, weapon, and shield that go together well.

Also look for people to help you design. I myself enjoy designing things, and if you want me to build you something you just have to give me some elements. Some colors or themes you like. Additionally I've gotten to the point in game where I will do alterations for people. (As in attend events and get them done.) For silver. I have enough services that I can do that to help others out. I do always have my own gear to work on though, so I never attend an event just to try and sell something.

I do like your ideas about set bonuses and starter set type items. Especially if they could be upgraded or added to stuff. Like the starter voln set is 1x when you get it but then can be enchanted. I ran into that with the golden griffins when the shield and armor could not be enchanted for some reason. For set bonuses I would appreciate being able to add it to a piece of gear in much the way flares are added. If item is plain, etc... then can add fusion or set bonus.
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 12:03 PM CDT
Despite your vision issues, I am so happy that you've continued to play GemStone in all that time!

Just a few of my tricks I thought of for merchant events that might help you. When you get to a merchant room, highlight the name of the merchant in a bright color that stands out to you. Mine used to be red, or dark pink.

You can also increase the font size of the game window. I used to be at a merchant and I'd go sit across the room and beef up the text size so I could see if I was chosen from way over there! I know large-print books help people with vision troubles, so I thought that might be a helpful tip.

Lastly, I may be the only person in GemStone who does this, but I change the game window (and all my windows) to be black text on a white background. This makes it MUCH easier for me to read, because white text on the black background is really annoying, almost dizzying to me. Now my screens look like books, and they're much, much easier to read!

About your other ideas with the sets - I think that's a really neat idea. My only foreseen issue with that would be that sometimes players leave and take their stuff with them. Much like the objects of old that worked together and have vanished, once people leave, your set gets diminished by that much.

~Just Jainna
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 01:01 PM CDT
Speaking to the 2 replies...

Rufusmoray, I didn't mean that as a whine about the number of services. I could have had more, it was my choice often to NOT deal with the problems crowded rooms cause me. Even back in the day there were some sets of gear, but I would just like to see it taken to a new level... I really appreciate the offer of help designing stuff. Back in my Golden Hawk days I'd whisper to give the merchant a brief idea then was never disappointed. If I'm remembering correctly the Golden Hawks had a small set of gear. So basically I'm asking for a bigger set with perks to get people to wear it. With my examples the folks all look equipped the same until you look closer. Sports uniforms are the same, but have player numbers, school uniforms are the same, but the kids customize with jewelry, a soldier wears a locket with his wife and kids pic in it, and also has a Tattoo...

Jainna, yup I use a larger font and it helps, but my problem is also that I have slow reaction. In competitive PvP E-sports the top players hit as many as 10 commands a second and use CRT monitors because flatscreens have more delay. Computer chips have propagation delay. Signal comes in, data comes out. Time it took is the P.D. So for my problem, by the time something happens and I react might be at 1/5th the speed of average. Regardless of size of text won't speed that up. I use a black background with light yellow text. White which is all colors combined is not good for some peoples eyes. Its the fast scroll

Another thing that can help though is to do like you sad with highlights and also add a sound tied to the string. While I haven't started doing that yet I have in the past times. So when in heavy combat I have all my def spells message when they get removed or run out highlighted and tie special sounds to the big ones that matter most 913, 430, 425, 513 and a few others. I gradually add as I need stuff. At 43 trainings I have less than 10 deaths if I'm remembering correctly and some of them are due to going for a quick bio or something in a hostile area... Or hitting a script that takes me out to the hunting area by accident and not realizing it.

Regarding the set bonus concern about people leaving. The basic 10 piece set could be available all the time threw NPC, threw Simucoins, or at each paid event. A loss leader, not to be the thing for Simu to make big bank from. That would come from upgrades a little at a time and extra set pieces. Could even set up pieces for leadership roles with customized fluff verbiage. Or how about the commander has control over when the groups group bonus kicks in? The idea is to have new players joining the group so if someone leaves theres still plenty of others with the set. Tied i with in-game events.

You could have a quest area that requires x numbers of players. Ice Mule fields their yellow tarts are yummy 20 man team against the quest and finnishes in 5 min. completing 75% of the objectives. Ta'Vaalor's scarlet team Elves aren't as snooty as you think 20 man team threw the same quest area finnishing in 7 min. but achieving 81%.

The idea is to not make the set bonus or group bonus a game breaker, but a nifty perk. Like to societies, or the adventurer's guild. There would be compelling reasons to be involved. You couln't attend one of these unless you were in one of these team groups.

Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/03/2015 01:13 PM CDT
So Simu would have a trickle of money coming in from the set purchase and then could be an upsell at paid events to get the set upgrades or additional pieces. Then you have events catering to these groups at a small fee to attend and compete. A limit on how many people could be in the group would force people to make teams up for other towns. Then you limit the paid events to a number of people that any of these groups would have enough people in to fill it.

As a quick example as an Ta'Vaalor elf I want to represent my town. I join the group and buy the starter set for 20 bucks. At the next paid event theres an upsell of an additional 20 bucks over the event costs. This gets me and additional piece of gear to increase my set beyond the original 10, I also get a choice of 1 of the set items lightened or deepened. And if I attended the team event could also spend the xxxscrip earned on stuff that involves the group. Can have customized fluff verbs for the group for marching. All kinds of stuff.

Any perks could be such that it doesn't aid hunting outside the group or solo hunting. Heck some people might join several groups and build up several sets.

Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/04/2015 09:40 AM CDT
The biggest problem I always had with the Dwarven Warblades (totally cool items, by the way!) was the fact that there were, you know... seven of 'em. (Sure, sure, I get the jokes about 7 Dwarves. Move on.)
- Even if everyone in the group was a Two-Weapon user, that still means FOUR PEOPLE have to coordinate their schedules to see good use of them.
- In the much more likely event that people were doing the normal sword-and-board, that's seven calendars to bring into line. It's just too much.

At one point I was giving serious thought to making trades and laying hands on four of them, because I did have two Two-Weapon guys hunting together. That would have given four of them in the same room scything through enemies, which would've been pretty neat.
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/04/2015 02:05 PM CDT
Never had one of those types of things Kraki, but thats partially where the ideas came from. I don't want that problem you described to happen. I want it to be something that people coming and going from the group can all avail of. Having competitive events where the teams vie for top rating will draw new people to join the group as long as Simu keeps running the events. The bonus could be a socketed item that only kicks in when in the group event with your group buddies.

Military type events lend themselves to town vs town competition. Groups like COL and Voln have no trouble getting recruits, but would love to have events and sets of gear too.

Some of the item buffs can be for group leader verbs, or precision verbs for parade activities. Theres a lot of potential opened up.

The graphical MMOs certainly borrowed a lot from Gemstone. In one of the Guild Wars 2 panel videos they even paid homage to Gemstone and having learned from it. So why not continue the trend of borrowing from the MMOs like they have with socketed items?

Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/04/2015 07:20 PM CDT

regarding the dwarven rune-blades ...

Manser, Farouk, Iubdan, and Ottar united in a blazing display on 2-13-2013.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: A few of my thoughts and concerns regarding paid events. 05/05/2015 10:36 AM CDT
Post a log or it didn't happen. :)
Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/05/2015 06:27 PM CDT
CollectorDwarf offers you a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Manser'. Type ACCEPT to accept the offer or DECLINE to decline it. The offer will expire in 30 seconds.
You accept CollectorDwarf's offer and are now holding a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Manser'.
>CollectorDwarf offers NamelessTester a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Ottar'.
>NamelessTester accepts CollectorDwarf's alloy warblade.
>CollectorDwarf removes a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Iubdan' from in his infantry cloak.
>CollectorDwarf offers Atester a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Iubdan'.
Atester accepts CollectorDwarf's alloy warblade.
>CollectorDwarf removes a gold-hilted warblade inscribed with dwarven runic letters 'Farouk' from in his infantry cloak.
CollectorDwarf grabs NamelessTester's hand.
CollectorDwarf reaches out and holds Atester's hand.
>CollectorDwarf's group just went west, marching in unison.

=== So we all march out to a testing field - a bad day for trolls ===

>CollectorDwarf swings a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +173 vs DS: +105 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +83 = +184
... and hits for 25 points of damage!
Downward slash across the hill troll's left thigh!
Gouges bone!
The hill troll is stunned!

As CollectorDwarf's warblade lands home, it glows intensely with a fierce crimson light!
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right leg blackens kneecap.
The hill troll screeches loudly as the fire scorches his skin!
... 30 points of damage!
Extreme heat melts the skin off a hill troll's left hand. Gross!

>You swing a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +191 vs DS: +73 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +47 = +198
... and hit for 20 points of damage!
Blow raises a welt on the hill troll's left arm.
Your warblade pulses with a fierce crimson light in the presence of its kinsblade. A deep crimson flame burns brightly along the length of the blade.

As you hit, your warblade glows intensely with a fierce crimson light!
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to left arm. Gonna need lots of butter.
The hill troll howls in agony as the flames dance over his body!
... 25 points of damage!
Flames incinerate right leg to the bone. Not a pleasant sight.
It is knocked to the ground!

Roundtime: 6 sec.
>Atester gestures while calling upon the lesser spirits for aid...
Atester gestures.
An invisible force guides Atester.
>The hill troll's skin sizzles from his recent burns.
A hill troll struggles to rise but fails in the attempt.
>Atester swings a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +110 vs DS: +47 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +25 = +121
... and hits for 4 points of damage!
Quick feint to the hill troll's right foot.
Little extra damage.
The guiding force leaves Atester.

As Atester's warblade lands home, it glows intensely with a fierce crimson light!
... 10 points of damage!
Burst of flames to left leg burns skin bright red.
The hill troll howls in agony as the flames dance over his body!
... 40 points of damage!
Left arm burnt away at elbow. Ointment won't help.

>NamelessTester gestures while calling upon the lesser spirits for aid...
>NamelessTester gestures.
An invisible force guides NamelessTester.

>NamelessTester swings a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +138 vs DS: +45 with AvD: +33 + d100 roll: +80 = +206
... and hits for 26 points of damage!
Torn muscle in the hill troll's left leg!
The hill troll screams one last time and dies.
The deep blue glow leaves a hill troll.
The guiding force leaves NamelessTester.
>A hill troll ambles in!
A hill troll ambles in!

CollectorDwarf swings a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +173 vs DS: +102 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +6 = +111
... and hits for 3 points of damage!
Blow nicks the hill troll's right hand.

As CollectorDwarf's warblade lands home, it glows intensely with a fierce crimson light!
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty jolt to chest causes heart to skip a beat!

A hill troll thrusts with a spear at NamelessTester!
AS: +182 vs DS: +9 with AvD: +21 + d100 roll: +29 = +223
... and hits for 36 points of damage!
Minor puncture to the back.
>You are now in an offensive stance.
AS: +377 vs DS: +102 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +41 = +350
... and hit for 123 points of damage!
Quick, powerful slash!
The hill troll's chest is ripped open!
Your warblade pulses with a fierce crimson light in the presence of its kinsblade. A deep crimson flame burns brightly along the length of the blade.

... 15 points of damage!
Visible wisps of electricity shoot up right leg. Youch!
AS: +29 vs DS: +72 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +10 = +1
A clean miss.
>[Upper Trollfang]
The narrow road ends here in the courtyard of a rambling structure that appears to be a prosperous inn. The thanot door keeps the guests safe from the dangers of weather and creature. The footprints that mark the dirt don't look like they were made by anyone you'd care to meet on a moonlit stroll, making the inn a welcome haven. You also see a hill troll that appears stunned, a hill troll that appears stunned, a hill troll that appears dead and a clump of bushes.
Also here: Atester, NamelessTester, CollectorDwarf
Obvious paths: southwest
>A hill troll's flesh wounds regenerate slowly.
A hill troll's chest regenerates and looks much better.

A hill troll thrusts with a spear at you!
You dodge just in the nick of time!
>A hill troll stands there, dazed and confused.
You deeply say, "Wow."
>You are now in a defensive stance.
>A hill troll decays into compost.
>Atester gestures.
An invisible force guides Atester.

A hill troll's chest regenerates and looks fully healed.

A hill troll thrusts with a spear at NamelessTester!
AS: +182 vs DS: +9 with AvD: +21 + d100 roll: +1 = +195
... and hits for 27 points of damage!
Slashing strike near forehead nicks an eyebrow!
That must sting!
AS: +113 vs DS: +78 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +51 = +120
... and hits for 5 points of damage!
Quick feint to the hill troll's right foot.
Little extra damage.
The guiding force leaves Atester.

As Atester's warblade lands home, it glows intensely with a fierce crimson light!
... 20 points of damage!
Heavy shock to left hand. Fingers go numb.

A hill troll drops its spear and snatches up a twohanded sword!
A hill troll swings a twohanded sword at CollectorDwarf!
CollectorDwarf skillfully dodges the attack!
>Atester meditates over NamelessTester.
Atester takes NamelessTester's back damage.
Atester takes NamelessTester's right eye damage.
AS: +182 vs DS: +106 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +5 = +115
... and hits for 4 points of damage!
Light slash to the hill troll's abdomen!
Barely nicked.

... 50 points of damage!
Electrical charge toasts the hill troll. You get a sharp whiff of burning hair.
The hill troll falls to the ground and dies.
Atester takes all of NamelessTester's blood loss.
>Atester appears to be focusing his thoughts while chanting softly...
Atester concentrates.
Atester looks a lot better.
>CollectorDwarf searches a hill troll.
A hill troll decays into compost.
AS: +182 vs DS: +96 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +17 = +137
... and hits for 17 points of damage!
Large gash to the right arm, several muscles torn.

... 25 points of damage!
Nasty shock to right arm stiffens joints. Nice and painful.
The troll's spear falls to the ground.

AS: +182 vs DS: +96 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +65 = +185
... and hits for 36 points of damage!
Deep slash to the hill troll's left forearm!
>CollectorDwarf searches a hill troll.
A hill troll decays into compost.
>CollectorDwarf's group just went southwest, marching in unison.
[Upper Trollfang]
The walls of the canyon swing in quite close to one another here. In fact, the narrow opening between them is just wide enough to allow the road to pass through. You also see a hill troll.
Also here: NamelessTester, Atester, CollectorDwarf
Obvious paths: northeast, south
AS: +182 vs DS: +102 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +80 = +194
... and hits for 49 points of damage!
Knocked back several feet by blow to abdomen.

... 15 points of damage!
Arcing strand of electricity jolts across a hill troll's back. Pretty.
AS: +172 vs DS: +81 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +1 = +126
... and hits for 8 points of damage!
Deft slash across chest draws blood!
The hill troll takes a deep breath.

... 20 points of damage!
Heavy shock to left arm numbs elbow.
AS: +193 vs DS: +75 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +1 = +153
... and hit for 16 points of damage!
Quick slash to the hill troll's upper left arm!
Just a nick.

... 20 points of damage!
Nasty jolt to back fuses a few vertebrae. Definitely uncomfortable.

CollectorDwarf swings a gold-hilted alloy warblade at a hill troll!
AS: +182 vs DS: +79 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +16 = +153
... and hits for 20 points of damage!
Bones in right arm crack.

... 25 points of damage!
Heavy jolt to chest causes solar plexus to explode. Remarkable display of spraying blood.
>exam my warb
The warblade is forged of some unknown alloy that is extremely light and flexible, yet remains highly resilient. The metal gleams with a bluish hue. The edge of the warblade is honed to an uncommon sharpness. Inscribed along the length of the blade are ancient runes of some forgotten origin.
AS: +182 vs DS: +77 with AvD: +34 + d100 roll: +41 = +180
... and hits for 30 points of damage!
Feint to the left as the hill troll dodges that way!
Deep gouges left in back.

... 15 points of damage!
Heavy shock to abdomen blackens skin. Ick.

CollectorDwarf says, "Obviously if you had 4 people trained in edged and capped these things would be crazy."

=== We tested some more, then Clunk gave "Manser" back. ===

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
PS: No dwarven runeblades are currently in stock.
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/06/2015 03:39 PM CDT

Waaaiiiittt, what're these? Need some more back story about these awesome blades! Also, did I mistake this or were they using the flare that was best matched for the target?
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/06/2015 03:46 PM CDT
Couple of research points:

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Dwarven_runeblade_%28saved_post%29

https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/A_History_of_Dwarves

Pretty neat items - can't think of any cultural equivalents for any other races.

Doug
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 09:46 AM CDT
The blazestar staves from the Ebon Gate auction have a decidedly elven bent to them, though being an elf is not required to use them.

The problem with making neat sets of items is... well, they go missing and suddenly the remainder isn't nearly as neat.

___
ASGM of Events and Festivals
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 09:53 AM CDT
Simple solutions are best.

Keep making sets of items.

Give them aaaaallllllllllll to me. <nod>

(Because, you know... you just frickin' can't get rid of me, even with trying.)
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 09:55 AM CDT
>>well, they go missing and suddenly the remainder isn't nearly as neat.

I agree with this. I would also point out that this is a far better method of item control, in my personal view, than things like breakage, greening, temporary protection, etc., might be. Over time, relics of yore are lost to the lands - some to be rediscovered, a very few to be restructured into something greater, but most to be left moldering in the green carpets and snowy fields, or lockers of the heroes of yesteryear.

It's really nothing more than the struggle faced with epic gear already - any item of which might be lost to a collector, a recluse, or the void.

Doug
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 09:59 AM CDT
"any item of which might be lost to ... a recluse ..." -- Doug

Oooh!

Oooh!

(Dammit, ideas hurt the noggin.)

I've resisted getting a PremiumHome before now, because, yeah, okay, they've got locations and facades and interior decorations and whatnot.

But... if they have exterior decorations, too, then I'm in!

Just make certain that one of them has the noun-object of "lawn", and I'm good.

<nod>
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 10:19 AM CDT
>>Just make certain that one of them has the noun-object of "lawn", and I'm good.

hah! I see what you're doing there. . .

I'm sensing a need for a new MHO - GOM (Garrulous Ole Members).

Doug
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 10:23 AM CDT

>I'm sensing a need for a new MHO - GOM (Garrulous Ole Members).

you can just be one of the 71 Tehir groups
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 10:33 AM CDT
>>you can just be one of the 71 Tehir groups

I'd have to wear a face-drape, though - not exactly the ultimate expression of manhood in my book!

Excuse me, I need to find a safe place to hide from the general. And maybe a couple of dwarves. . .

Doug
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/07/2015 09:32 PM CDT
A face drape is better than a loin drape if you go into the pub.... Should the dancing girls entice you with an loin drape on, well now...

Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/08/2015 11:15 AM CDT
The "group them together to get more effect" concept is such a strange one in GS. On one hand, the few sets of items that have worked this way have REALLY stood out in the GS consciousness. That tells me that the players really find the notion extremely compelling.

But, on the other hand, as you pointed out, it's just not often the case that they would actually be in the same room at the same time more than once or twice for novelty.

I think the secret here is to create a set of items that are compelling alone- so they are less likely to be lost into the ether. Then have the combined ability be icing on the cake. On paper that can present some balances issues, but decades of experience tell us that it's rarely actually going to be a practical concern.
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/08/2015 12:01 PM CDT
Stovel's +32 imflass greatswords, each with (mostly different) elemental flares and custom box, are also a great example of 'set' items.
(Note that, used as a set/in the same room (or group), they did absolutely NOTHING other than look cool. They were +32, and had elemental flares.)

But, again: greatswords. 2-Hand weapons. Absolute max, one-at-a-time.

Again, I devoted a great deal of thought to trying to come into possession of all of them. And again, defeated by "one at a time" and "have to stow the box inside of some container in order to keep them together, and in combat I can just totally see myself getting out this boxed item [depriving me of parryDS due to off-hand no longer being empty], opening the box, stowing my current weapon [depriving me of ALL parryDS], getting out the new weapon, and then stowing the box."
(And, of course, it's even worse if I'm switching one of them for another, like for getting different flares. Then I would have to GET OUT the box for the one in-hand, put the weapon away, put the box away, and only THEN get the new out to be un-boxed.)

If the boxes could have been WORN, like slung over a shoulder, maybe--since they were Auction items--even scripted so that they broke the "only two shoulders" rule and could be slung no matter what, and then could be used to get/put the greatswords while the box was being worn? Yeah, sure, in that case they'd have been a great deal better.

Weren't there a set of elemental-based spell-knowledge runestaves that came out about 6-ish years ago that did something nifty in the same room as another of them, too?

What we need, for set-type items here in GemStone, is items that accrete power based on the presence of others in the set, when the set can all be used BY THE SAME PERSON. Most likely scenario? Armor + weapon + shield. Amazing! Exactly what people are going to be using in combat!

ShadowDeath weapon + Vambraces spring to mind.

But it could be anything.
Ring1 + Ring2 + Torc.
Boots/Sandals + TunicArmor + Headband.
Earring + Necklace + Tiara.
Wand + RuneStaff + Robes.
Bow + Bracer/arm greaves + Quiver (shoulder OR belt... or even different effects for each)
Seriously, go nuts.

Have each basic item give a benefit. Have the LoreSong--could even use a common-base LoreSong, just changing the details of the item--be either a story that references the other items OR just includes the "You get the sense that this item would work even more effectively if used together with a[n] <second item> and a[n] <third item>." result as the extra verse.

Have a two-item set give a higher benefit (each base item gives Tier2 of its own, and you Set Tier1 as the added benefit). Wearing all three gives higher individual benefits (Tier3 from each of the three, and you get Set Tier2 as the extra).

You can get really crazy if you do the whole Hand/Eye of Vecna, or the seven-stage staff, or whatever.

But they all need to work on ONE PERSON for a set to be worth pursuing. Grouping of OWNERS is just too unreliable.
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/11/2015 11:44 AM CDT
There are definitely some useful highlights one can use for merchant-rooms. Whispering and your name catch a lot of things (although some pointers point at "you" and others name you...I wish they all used your name personally but...flavor?). I know I've told GMs by whisper when I'm having bad lag, etc (I play over wifi through wifi in Japan...it can be really bad sometimes), to please whisper to me once or twice and I will try to get my turn in a timely manner. Everyone has always been really polite about that, and usually there are no major hiccups. I only say this as a way to suggest things I use (even for us people with good vision, keeping up in big rooms is tough); probably you are already doing these things so.

While GMs are undoubtedly amazing at designing things, I think it's fair to say that not all GMs are necessarily the bling design creative types. I literally have no particular GMs in mind for this, and maybe it's flat out not true. But, I'm mainly using the logic that GMs are also people similar to players, and are a diverse group, too. Anyway, my point here is, in any case, that you can also ask players for help, too! Not because I'm saying players are better that designing than GMs (and certainly we make more mistakes and are not authoritative). But, there are great players at design, and there are more players than GMs is my point.

My creativity isn't great, but I'm certainly not a person shy of designing lots of different kinds of stuff for my characters (weapon/armors, fluff, tattoos, etc).

Since you specifically mentioned Voln, let me show you two of the Voln-themed alterations I've made on my Paladin's gear:

a suit of imflass full plate with a gleaming white ora pauldron on the left shoulder

a perfect ebony-hafted flail
>look my flail
A flanged and knotted bar of polished alabaster steel is affixed by a rotating hoist to the service end of this armament. Opposing it is a sturdy haft hewn from a sleek limb of ebony. Intricate carvings of wispy hominid forms and undulating whorls encapsulate the entirety of the deep sable grain, offering an artistic touch, as well as allowing the wielder to equip it with a variety of grips. Heatless violet flames burn across the flail. A strange necrotic haze radiates from the flail.You notice Gnarevo's crafting mark.
There appears to be something written on it.

>read my flail
In the Common language, it reads:
The Bane of Luukos

If you shoot me emails via my play.net account, I'm usually having fun designing stuff, and we often shoot ideas around on our blast chat during merchants, festivals, etc, with our design ideas asking for input, criticism, etc.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog
Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/11/2015 08:02 PM CDT

Sweet weapon!

Re: Dwarven Rune Blades in Test 05/12/2015 07:06 AM CDT
The plate is T4 Voln, too (actually, both these items are 8x and have some other properties, so yeah pretty sweet). I wanted a kind of white shield symbol, but I decided, why not have a sort of shield rather than a boring etched symbol, etc.

Most of the difficult work with the flail was firstly deciding what kind I wanted to use. I decided I didn't want one with spikes or a chain; the former because I use CMAN Precision (so why have spikes if it's never going to puncture), and the latter I decided from his family's more agrarian background the flail based on the threshing tool was most sensible.

The other hard part was avoiding phallic references. Someone mocked my effort on a blast chat or LNet since it has "limb of ebony" but let me tell you that's better than a "long shaft" or mentioning "girth" or all the other stuff I kept accidentally typing during the brainstorming process. It's little stuff like that which makes designing alterations a lot of fun.

Check out who's dying any time! https://twitter.com/GSIVDeathLog