MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/16/2019 01:21 PM CDT

Hi,

There seems to be three necklaces being sold at DR for 25k bs a peice. Can I get some info about whatt they are and what they do?

When I inspect there is limited information.

Thank you
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/16/2019 03:31 PM CDT
Save your bloodscrip, Mister Xred.

Each one is attuned to one moon only, and shows the current phase and status of the moon. You have to look at it to tell, it does not give messaging when a moon rises or anything.

I'm not sure what uses moons or phases in GS, I bought it hoping it would tell me when the moon came up. Simply for RP.

It's in my locker now. I have no idea in the world why it costs SO much unless I totally missed something. At least when I had Buyer's Remorse over the Pixie Stick, I could sell it. I could not even sell this to someone for the price I paid in good conscience.

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Xanith: "It's flat out amazing"
Doug: "100.times ^"

TownCrier News Submission link: http://bit.ly/TownCrierNews
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/16/2019 03:55 PM CDT
The MoonPhase Necklaces are also typo'ed. The gems in the show (the original gems) don't match the gems in the look (at least this run). I've bugged the room so I don't know what's going to happen with them.

They have a loresong, and show you the phases of the moon they're tied to (Liabo, Lornon, and Tilaok).

They're carbon copies of the GM auction moon pendants from back before you could look at the sky/stars/moons.

Back in the day they were really nifty because of that. These days, not so much. Also, loresongs weren't as common as they are now.

Over time people have played with them to see if there's more to them. I once had all 3 in my possession for a while, and I even took them to the moonbeam in Melgorehn's Reach but nothing happened.

The only thing else I can think of is have all 12 (4 of each) together during a Grand Conjunction (yeah, okay).

IF (big if) there were something more to them that has never been discovered.. they might be worth the price.

Otherwise.. they're extremely over costed and only useful if your character has a STRONG RP inclination towards the moons or what the moons represent.

Basically.. if being able to see the phase of a moon by looking at a necklace is really cool to you.. go for it. If not.. stay away.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/16/2019 03:55 PM CDT
Those sound like a re-release of old Auction items, which--at the time--were hotly contested in the bidding.
And yes, all they were was RP fluff.

I want to say some of the Coven (??) were tracking them all down. This would be in the late '90s/early 2000's.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/17/2019 01:46 AM CDT
Thank you Lux!

I wont be buying the amulets at that price unless GMs add some features.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/17/2019 02:35 AM CDT

I think a GM more or less confirmed what players are saying in this thread, back when they were first released at Duskruin. Something like, "these are super old, and way back when, some people reallllly wanted them. And that's all there is to it."
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/17/2019 08:20 AM CDT
Hrmmm... I've been eyeballing these ever since I was aware they existed.

Disappointing to hear they don't do anything more for the price but... Luxelle, if you happen to have the Lornon moonphase necklace let me know what you might consider selling it for at a silver price (I don't deal in BS and the conversion rates haven't been favorable for silver for some time). I actually do have an RP and a mechanical reason for being interested in this item.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Wex winks before saying, "Cravin' some winterberry ale? Head on over to White Haven!"
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/17/2019 11:18 AM CDT
Winterdawn: Wow, so much info, that's great!

We need that on the wiki!

---
;tune towncrier
Rohese: "... the TownCrier (tune in if you haven’t, it’s without doubt the best thing to ever happen on LNet)"
Lawronius: The stuff ... the TownCrier team does is incredible.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/17/2019 11:20 AM CDT
It is not the Lornon one, Mister Robert.

---
;tune towncrier
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/04/2019 04:26 PM CDT
Thank you to someone for starting the wiki page!

I just updated it with the loresong and the LOOK at mine currently. Everyone, please contribute various LOOK messaging to the page for your jewelry during various phases!

---
;tune towncrier
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/27/2019 08:07 AM CDT
>>I just updated it with the loresong and the LOOK at mine currently. Everyone, please contribute various LOOK messaging to the page for your jewelry during various phases!

I have actually just started using mine as a significant part of Roh's RP and noticed that the LOOK messaging doesn't correspond correctly with the actual phases of the moon when you LOOK LIABO.

I understand that this has been bugged and raised here on the forums before so I would really appreciate it if it could be fixed because 25,000 bloodscrip is a lot to pay for an item that only really has one function and that function doesn't work correctly.

Thanks in advance.

>>https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese_Bayvel-Timsh'l
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/27/2019 10:49 AM CDT
Seconding this request to get the item fixed. As Rohese's player said, 25k bloodscrip for an item that still doesn't work as advertised a couple years after it was released stings a lot.

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/27/2019 04:17 PM CDT
Are we talking about the gem referenced in the look portion of the item? Or is there something else going on with it? If the former, it requires a full rewrite. Not very hard, but would result in players needing to assist to get it fixed once that rewrite is done.

Wyrom, PM
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/27/2019 05:01 PM CDT
Thank you for the speedy response, Wyrom, it's much appreciated.

Yes, it's LOOK portion of the item where it references the appearance of the moonstone.

>look necklace
The necklace is made from a perfect sphere of polished moonstone. Silver light shines out in a lambent sliver from the stone, reflecting Liabo's current Last Eighth phase. A delicate setting of pure platinum holds the miniature moon.

Looking at the moon directly shows:

You gaze up into the heavens scanning for the moon Liabo...
Liabo continues to rise nearly full. Patterns of golden craters run across its illuminated surface, their deeper hue a beautiful contrast to the softer patches of lunar ground.

I've tracked it over the week of the Liabo cycle and the necklace is out of sync with the moon itself.

Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 12/19/2019 11:54 AM CST
>> Are we talking about the gem referenced in the look portion of the item? Or is there something else going on with it? If the former, it requires a full rewrite. Not very hard, but would result in players needing to assist to get it fixed once that rewrite is done.

It’s been almost 3 months so thought I would bump this in the hope there’s a fix in the pipeline.

Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 12/19/2019 11:27 PM CST
This was actually really hard to figure out. But after a few hours tonight, I was able to locate the issue with the out of sync phases. The terms for the moon phases needed to be updated to match what we currently use (first half rather than first quarter). If you notice they are out of sync again, please post in the Item and Inventory topic, and I'll keep an eye on it.

Wyrom, PM
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 12/20/2019 01:53 AM CST
Fantastic, thank you, Wyrom! I’ll do some testing and let you know if I see anything awry.

Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 01/08/2020 08:50 PM CST
Very belatedly - thank you very much for fixing these!!

- Overlord EK

>You now regard Eorgina with a warm demeanor.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/26/2022 03:07 AM CDT
Two years on: has any more thought been given to making these worth the cost in terms of functionality with comparably valued items available for bloodscrip? I purchased the Liabo necklace when they first became available and admit to being disappointed. I would love to own the set for RP reasons but not at their current cost!

Please can these be looked at.

>>https://gswiki.play.net/Rohese (prime)
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/26/2022 05:54 AM CDT
I keep looking at these just about every DR and thinking I would love to have one or more for RP reasons as well. But the cost vs. functionality always keeps me from buying.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/26/2022 02:40 PM CDT
They also still have the bug of not showing anything when the moons aren't visible.

..and whatever Rohese says +1 from me, we are aligned in our desires on these things.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/26/2022 03:10 PM CDT
Almost like moons...

...in syzygy!

(Which doesn't really apply, since we're not talking about stellar alignment being involved, but it's a chance to use a fifty-cent word. <nod>)
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/26/2022 10:20 PM CDT
So here's why our poor little grand auction and Spellbound pendants are being tossed aside...

This was in the Mania tonight for 100k...

a pellucid obsidian sphere pendant containing a tiny orrery

You note the following details about a pellucid obsidian sphere pendant containing a tiny orrery:

It has 0 charges.
It could be activated by waving it.
It will persist after its last magical charge has been expended.
It is a small item, under a pound.
It is estimated to be worth about 1,000,000 silvers.
It is magic resistant.
It is predominantly crafted of obsidian.
The pendant can be worn around the neck. The pendant appears to serve some purpose.
This obsidian sphere pendant cannot be altered.

This obsidian sphere pendant, when worn, provides both physical and magical bonuses to attack and defense strength, based on Elanthia's four moons.

Liabo provides a physical defense strength general bonus.
Lornon provides a magical defense strength general bonus.
Tilaok provides a physical attack strength general bonus
Makiri provides a magical attack strength general bonus.

The amount of any bonus is equal to 2 times the number of active moons. An active moon is one that is not lost in or below the horizon.

The phase of a moon affects the strength of its bonus, as does its altitude:
Phase: Altitude:
Full Moon: 100% At zenith: 100%
Gibbous: 75% Near zenith: 75%
Half Moon: 50% Upper sky: 50%
Crescent: 25% Middle sky: 25%
New Moon: 10% Lower sky: 10%
Near/below horizon: 0%

A moon provides its combat bonus as long as that moon is active.

This pendant is at the premium tier. The bonus is increased based on the pantheon of one's chosen deity. Followers of Liabo or Lornon deities get an increase of 50% to the effects from the moon of their deity. For neutral deities, the effects of both Liabo and Lornon are increased by 25%. A player with no chosen deity gets an increase of 12.5% to the effects of all four moons.

The pendant traps two verbs for fluff messaging: FOLD and RAISE. It also gives information about the positions and phases of the moons in the orrery with LOOK.

The pendant can be used by anyone and is active as long as it is worn.

ANALYZE the pendant again while wearing it to see any bonuses it is currently providing.

NOTE: There are times when the phases and altitudes of the moons are such that the obsidian sphere pendant will provide no bonuses at all. There are also occasional slight fluctuations in the strength of a moon's effect, attributable to atmospheric disturbances.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 08/27/2022 04:35 AM CDT
At least one of these has been released before; looks like at the December auction in 2016.
https://gswiki.play.net/Obsidian_sphere_pendant

The pendant even tells you what it's going to do with 'look', so you can see what kind of bonus it will give you.
Re: MoonPhase Necklace - Info Please 09/08/2022 04:14 PM CDT
Any idea as to the GM that owns the scripts for these?
Additionally, any idea which GM owns the scripts for the moonblades?

Both could use some QOL updates.

-- Robert

From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the shield is as a shield.