Prev_page Previous 1
Interesting 12/09/2012 05:24 PM CST
Well that event was certainly fun. Loved the maze and the craziness of trying to find ropes and such. Silvers were a nice addition as well. The blockers are fine, but scripting the blocking seemed a bit unfair. Either way though, it was fine since we all felt their wrath.

I do have to humbly ask opinions though. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but it seems like my prize is woefully under powered compared to all of the other prizes that have gone out. I have a glorified 1x/4.5 hour small statue (5 charge cap). Yes, that's right. A small statue. The ones you can recharge and buy in the pawnshop. And the kicker is, this one actually takes MIU to use, whereas regular ones do not. Not sure if it was intended to use MIU or not, but even if it's broken in that respect, it's still a small statue.

Seems like compared to everything else in my run and the other items I've seen this doesn't even come close to a real prize. :( I know I have horrendous luck but this was just blah.

Fun event to run I guess, but I do feel slighted. Am I off base?

Best,
Jim
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:27 PM CST
>Am I off base?
Jim

Simply put, Yes. Easily.

-farmer
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:28 PM CST
So it is a small statue that you can get 4.5 hours from once a day? If so thats pretty sweet. I would be interested in buying it actually.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:30 PM CST
>So it is a small statue that you can get 4.5 hours from once a day? If so thats pretty sweet. I would be interested in buying it actually.
Nouvard

One sold on BO on the PC for 30M in roughly half an hour? Maybe less.

-farmer
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:30 PM CST

Sorry, no no. It self charges once every 4.5 hours (288 minutes) with a 5 charge cap. It's still 20 minute duration.

If I'm off base I must not understand the value but would love to be educated!

Best,

Jim/Tk
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:35 PM CST

<<One sold on BO on the PC for 30M in roughly half an hour? Maybe less.

-farmer>>

In that case I am gleeful to be wrong! :) I'll have to sell this thing soon then and find some good UAC stuff or armor for True! =) Thanks for the info.

Best,
Jim
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:36 PM CST
Ah, well, still, nice item. 1.5 hours a day is still pretty good.

If you wouldn't use it just sell it for silvers to buy yourself something else.

Chad, player of a few
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:38 PM CST
<<Sorry, no no. It self charges once every 4.5 hours (288 minutes) with a 5 charge cap. It's still 20 minute duration.

I haven't seen the item in question myself. But are you absolutely sure the duration is a flat 20 minutes and is not based off your MIU skill instead?

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 05:41 PM CST

<<I haven't seen the item in question myself. But are you absolutely sure the duration is a flat 20 minutes and is not based off your MIU skill instead?

~Aulis
Forums Manager
QC'er>>

Standard 1712, so yes 20 min then 30 seconds per MIU/AS ranks I believe. Good point! Forgot about the fact that wagglers would get a good couple hours out of each rub! Thanks guys! I feel less grumpy! :)

Best,

Jim/Tk
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 08:09 PM CST
>I have a glorified 1x/4.5 hour small statue (5 charge cap).

And here I am drooling over all the self-charging items, with the small statue at the forefront of my mind as "that one I would want if I could have it".
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 08:21 PM CST
Basically, you will never need another small statue again. Ever.

So, yeah, pretty durn good item.

-Taakhooshi, and Me

For the Story of Taakhooshi:
http://www.gsguide.net/index.php?title=Taakhooshi
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 08:21 PM CST
Jim you did not get the boobie prize. I think in general the prizes were better than the last run. My last item is in my locker and I don't even remember what it was because it crumbled. This time I got an ice ring. Fire would suited my Mage and I'd have been thrilled. Better than the last time! At least it won't crumble.

Velvette...bowcrazy
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 09:06 PM CST
I got a 4x wand bow for my run. I think they've sold them off the shelf since then.

Trade?
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 09:23 PM CST
Hmm ok ok, fair enough folks! I'm glad I was corrected. I guess I'm so out of what's valuable nowadays. Appreciate the insight and I hope everyone was as lucky in their mind. Apologies.

Best,

Jim/Tk
Re: Interesting 12/09/2012 10:02 PM CST
Little does everyone know, on 12/21/12, everything in GS turns to feras.

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Interesting 12/10/2012 08:28 AM CST
>Little does everyone know, on 12/21/12, everything in GS turns to feras. -WYROM

LOL There was almost a coffee tragedy just now.

Good morning, everyone =)

/seo/
Re: Interesting 12/10/2012 08:50 AM CST
It would be like . . . 2 hours of phenomenal hunting through the entire game, lightning flares everywhere. Then nothing. Forever.
Re: Interesting 12/12/2012 09:13 AM CST
<<Little does everyone know, on 12/21/12, everything in GS turns to feras.>>

You carefully inspect your wyvern pin.

You determine that you could wear the pin anywhere on your body.

*It looks like this item has been mainly crafted out of gold.*

FAIL. :P
Re: Interesting 12/12/2012 12:33 PM CST
Fail? It's only 12/12/12!

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Interesting 12/16/2012 09:29 PM CST

Not sure if Droughtman's Challenge is where my adamantine shield originated (and I even think it had the sized altered by Ledirth during a Premium offer this season) but I recently purchased an adamantine shield that I have a question about. It seems to 'flare' to cause disarms on players as well as some critters but i haven't seen it shatter anything yet. I was wondering if there was a way to confirm this fluke. Thanks

Rolfard
Re: Interesting 12/17/2012 12:32 AM CST
Funny, I came to the same conclusion after testing the new DM buckler all day - no shatters, all disarms (from players and critters alike).

We used steel and cheap critter weapons for worse breakage material too..
Re: Interesting 12/17/2012 02:21 AM CST
Adamantine shields will only disarm attackers.

Adamantine armor can disarm or shatter non-magical weapons.

Adamantine weapons can disarm on a successful parry.

As a neat tidbit, adamantine weapons are immune to these effects!

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Interesting 12/17/2012 09:12 PM CST

Thanks for the info...also, there was some heated debate about enchanting a base adamantine shield and in the end the enchanter removed the temper (probably wisely so). It was suggested the difficulty was near to obsidian? If there was a reference point it would be interesting to note.
Re: Interesting 12/17/2012 09:40 PM CST
>> It was suggested the difficulty was near to obsidian?

Interesting. Hadn't heard that. Not that I wouldn't believe it.

Overall, though -- obsidian and a couple of woods (material difficulty) seem to pale in comparison to some of the difficulties presented by enhancive items. So. . . I would think this could still be attempted, and be no worse -- in the right hands -- than any other enchant.

Still, there's no way to know for sure without trying.

Doug
Re: Interesting 12/18/2012 07:03 AM CST
Let's settle the debate. Don't enchant adamantine. It's not impossible, but it's improbable. Big enhancives shouldn't be as difficult as obsidian, adamantine, ruby, alexandrite, stone, etc, but they will still be very hard.

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Interesting 12/18/2012 08:33 AM CST
Very interesting and good to know, Wyrom.

I'm now intrigued enough to start my next level of investment into enchanting research. Improbable is still a wide range, and some of those materials weren't offered previously by GMs as 'very hard'. Even more intriguing that 'big enhancives shouldn't be as difficult. . . '

Thanks!

Doug
Re: Interesting 12/18/2012 10:19 PM CST
I did some basic enchanting with a dagger made of stone for awhile. It was a wild enchanting ride and I never did manage to get it to 4x (got tired of the experiment after awhile). If you are bored and want to play around with it I'll be happy to lend it to you.

-- Robert aka Faulkil

Inside a woven copper strand basket with a partially melted handle, you see an indigo shade-newt, a scattering of deathstone granules, a miniature house-shaped topiary, and a carved miniature twisted tree with a jagged burn mark down the trunk.
Re: Interesting 12/19/2012 10:21 AM CST
Thanks, Robert. I may take you up on that.

Doug
Re: Interesting 12/20/2012 03:21 PM CST

Not impossible...wish those words were read as warning and not tempting...
Re: Interesting 12/20/2012 07:53 PM CST
It's definitely a warning.

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Interesting 12/21/2012 12:55 AM CST
And so it was received.

Warnings are useful, because they describe the limits of 'normal'.

Each of us aspire to be 'more than normal'. So while a warning was received, it does not deter at least me from exploring the 'more than normal' side.

And yes, no delusions -- I recognize 'normal' and 'more than normal' are both described within the context of character. Yearning, however, remains unaddressed. . .

Doug
Re: Interesting 12/21/2012 07:02 PM CST

Have access to above-normal things, such as a Raggler, +40 to INT enhancives, +40 in logic enhancives, and not quite +40 in MIU enhancives...and did I mention a Raggler?
Re: Interesting 12/21/2012 07:32 PM CST
>Each of us aspire to be 'more than normal'. So while a warning was received, it does not deter at least me from exploring the 'more than normal' side.
>And yes, no delusions -- I recognize 'normal' and 'more than normal' are both described within the context of character. Yearning, however, remains unaddressed. . .
>Doug

When a GM tells you it's not impossible, but it's improbable, I take that more to mean that it doesn't matter how much skill you get, it's still not going to happen unless you get like 5 open die rolls in a row. It's like saying, it's not impossible to get a -2500 lock on a box, but it sure is improbable.
Re: Interesting 12/21/2012 08:02 PM CST
Yep, I get it. I read the text, I got the warning, I appreciate the perspective of above average attempts, and the caution that improbable seems to put it beyond reach.

Thanks for all the clarification! The worst that can happen is I say "sheesh!", and everyone gets to come right back and smirk.

So . . . need any other amplifications? We good?

Doug
Re: Interesting 12/22/2012 01:00 PM CST
Sorry if I created some controversy on the subject. The only reason I mention it from a GM perspective is I'd hate to see someone blow up a precious metal like adamantine. I vote test away on stone or obsidian though! I asked a wizard to try to get me a few stone daggers up to 4x, but it was no go after I probably killed them a few times. Haha.

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Interesting 12/22/2012 01:20 PM CST

Is stone harder then ruby? I managed to get some ruby full plate to 3x successfully with only a few hiccups causing a delay, but failed continuously on the path to 4x. I thought a capped wizard with a personal workshop might have still breezed through that..but heh.
Re: Interesting 12/22/2012 02:38 PM CST
All this talk and all I can think of is Balinworn's balsa wood chain mail. I think I laughed till I cried when he handed that to a merchant who was working "only on wood."
Re: Interesting 12/23/2012 08:25 AM CST
I remember that one, heh.
Re: Interesting 12/24/2012 08:14 AM CST

I have a set of plate, breastplate, and hauberk all fashioned of wood and brought to 4x. The wood dagger was only able to be brought to +15 (for some reason that counts as 7x on wood weapons but no weapon armor)
Re: Interesting 12/24/2012 12:50 PM CST
Wood weapons are supposed to count as -10 (even if they're 0x) for enchanting purposes.

-farmer
Prev_page Previous 1