So... 09/25/2012 10:57 AM CDT
...I missed all the previous rounds of these (alas).

Can someone clue me in on the best strategies etc? Do items that I might win attune btw? If so, I might bring TK instead of the little monk.

From all I've heard this is something that can be scripted, but seeing as I don't use Lich and don't like scripting as a rule, am I going to have any chance at all of winning?

Thanks!

Best,

Jim/Tk
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:03 AM CDT
Nothing attunes upon winning it. Some items (crate whistles, property deeds) are attuned once used or redeemed. Scripters have a much, much, much greater chance of winning. You have a very small chance of winning without scripting, but you'll still walk away with decent coins and a random pull from the prize pool that could be a great item.

-Richard/Fjalar.
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:04 AM CDT
Scripters have an edge but the maze shifts randomly and you can lucky. I won a round (out of several tries) with no scripts - run fast pulling ropes for coin and later until you find a gold key (if you're lucky), stop pulling ropes (to save yourself death pulls) and if you're lucky again you'll wander into the white door.

Macro to open the white door is advised though as either you or it may suddenly get pulled away. Also, blockers might be guarding it.

The attuning items won't automatically attune. Witchwood mana pulsing jewelry will come in a box and need to be extracted, Sheru cloaks need to be worn, and crate whistles (not likely found this run) used, etc. So your monk should be fine.
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:26 AM CDT
I don't use Lich, but I have run some basic Stormfront scripts while running Droughtman's.

I have two wins under my belt - once as a capped wizard and once as a level 16 sorcerer. I think that puts me at 2 for 6? 2 for 7? Something like that.

Lich helps, but you can definitely do well without it. Part of it is just the big luck factor. Doesn't matter if you are running a script or not - if that golden key doesn't drop for you, but it does for someone else who is two rooms from the white door? Game over.

Even if you don't want to run any scripts, it'd probably be worth it to set up a few macros for the common tasks... pulling ropes and levers, grabbing the right color of key to open a door. (I have macros for red, yellow, blue and green doors on F1-4, for example.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings

>Speaking to Zyllah, Alyias says, "See? Raelee knows all."
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:26 AM CDT

Thanks guys. So my goal is to fine ropes, pull them, grab a gold key which opens a white door which I need to highlight and make sure I have a macros smash set to open and walk through?
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:31 AM CDT

<<I don't use Lich, but I have run some basic Stormfront scripts while running Droughtman's.

I have two wins under my belt - once as a capped wizard and once as a level 16 sorcerer. I think that puts me at 2 for 6? 2 for 7? Something like that.

Lich helps, but you can definitely do well without it. Part of it is just the big luck factor. Doesn't matter if you are running a script or not - if that golden key doesn't drop for you, but it does for someone else who is two rooms from the white door? Game over.

Even if you don't want to run any scripts, it'd probably be worth it to set up a few macros for the common tasks... pulling ropes and levers, grabbing the right color of key to open a door. (I have macros for red, yellow, blue and green doors on F1-4, for example.)

Signed,
Raelee and her Strings>>

Awesome thanks :)
Re: So... 09/25/2012 11:51 AM CDT
Macros it is.

Writing a script defeats the purpose. Although I did modify and rewrite a certain DM script accidentally put out there by a certain shattered/prime rogue and it would likely be uber. More fun to take my chances on my own. Looking forward to seeing the other participants during my runs.

- Anonymous
Re: So... 09/25/2012 01:19 PM CDT

>From all I've heard this is something that can be scripted, but seeing as I don't use Lich and don't like scripting as a rule, am I going to have any chance at all of winning?

>Thanks!

>Best,

>Jim/Tk

Briarfox put a great thread on the PC on tips and tricks for DM. Great read and very helpful. I didn't script any of my 4 runs and managed to always be first or second in total silvers acquired in each run. I never did manage to combine the gold key with the white door however. Highlights and macros are really all you need to really cover some ground in the maze. Moving using the numpad is also my preference as a blocker is hunting you down you best be moving quickly.

Lochiven
Re: So... 09/25/2012 01:42 PM CDT
<<Can someone clue me in on the best strategies etc?

The best strategy is to go in there with a view to having fun. (ok not exactly a strategy..more of an end goal.) The prize at the end is a nice addition but my most enjoyable moments have come from the heart pumping, pants pooping dilema that comes from running into a room with a rope and blocker. Pull the rope and possibly get that golden key? Or run for your life.

Invariably I make the wrong choice and get killed but sometimes... just sometimes... I freeze the blocker, get the key and live to find that white door.

Roblar's suggestion of pulling ropes and a macro for the white door cant hurt, especially if like me, your typing is totally screwed up when over-excited or just plain scared! hehe

But go in to have fun and you'll come out of it as happy as a dwarf in an alehouse. (Gowns withstanding)

-
Bremerial - Chair of the 'Bring the Highman Games to Kharam-Dzu' Committee

Warrior Interviews - Have you been interviewed yet? - http://www.assessrisk.com/personal/gs4_30.htm

AIM: warriorbremerial