Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 02:15 PM CST
How about an event that has no shopping whatsoever and a storyline run like that of the latest EG? Then offer us (seemingly) endless opportunities to improve our gear, especially things we acquired at previous events.

I could see it having a structure somewhat like this:

Unlimited: alterations, unlocking (whatever's on Xerria's list, but no quotas), and lightening/deepening

Limited: enchanting, weighting/sighting, padding, flaring, equipment transformation (i.e. shield re-sizing, ASG changing), TD adding, ensorcelling, making breakable items permanent, and magic item/potion/enhancive recharging

More limited: combat script unlocking (Voln armor, Itzir armor, etc.), epic lightening or deepening

Extremely limited:
1) enhancements to already amazing gear (that next 10 points of padding for your 8x MCP armor or that tenth enchant on your 9x Tier 4 Voln armor); you get to choose the enhancement, your choices being padding, weighting/sighting, enchanting, TD, DB enchanting, resistances, flaring, vulnerability removal (others?)

2) Adding charges to high end enhancives/potions that can't otherwise be recharged (only aware of the high end enchanting potions for this, but there may be others)

3) Increasing X a day use on an item

4) Adding +5 to an item's enhancive properties (useful for one property or allowed to be spread across properties if the item has more than one)
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 02:33 PM CST
I'm curious why shield re-sizing would be limited? Is it really something that would be considered overpowered? I'm clueless so I don't know what the mechanical advantages of having a larger or smaller shield means besides the obvious.

Velvette
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 02:56 PM CST
I like your list. Nice thinking, though CCF has basically deflated the market for uber gear, and that's something to think about. Monty Haul has a pretty full closet these days. Maybe we should run a roleplaying pay quest instead of these 3 hour churn events. I miss the old all day quest events, without the short fuse.

I think the shield re-sizing is pretty much a niche desire, but probably takes a little bit of work to do. I think placing it in his lower tier limited slot is appropriate.

Kerl
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 03:08 PM CST

>>3) Increasing X a day use on an item

This is a service that would get a big +1 from me.

-E
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 04:37 PM CST
>>How about an event that has no shopping whatsoever and a storyline run like that of the latest EG?

The storyline at the past EG took a ton of hours to complete, even if what you witnessed in game wasn't that long. GM Haliste and Mikos spent several months organizing it. That's not even counting the coding that went into it.

It's hard to run a storyline with a massive service event. I did it for RtCF and CCF, and it went very unnoticed.

~Wyrom, APM

>>They call him Wyrom, not afraid to get dirty; work all day, in game by 5:30; loresongs eloquent, item embellishment, double speed development... ~Silvean
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 05:27 PM CST
<I did it for RtCF and CCF, and it went very unnoticed.>

Not true!
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/10/2014 10:23 PM CST
>>I'm curious why shield re-sizing would be limited? Is it really something that would be considered overpowered? I'm clueless so I don't know what the mechanical advantages of having a larger or smaller shield means besides the obvious.
>>Velvette

I figured it would be pretty much the same advantage as being able to change the AsG on your armor. With all of the enhancements available for shields and the new SMANs, I think it's a pretty significant thing to be able to re-size your shield.

>>I like your list. Nice thinking, though CCF has basically deflated the market for uber gear, and that's something to think about. Monty Haul has a pretty full closet these days. Maybe we should run a roleplaying pay quest instead of these 3 hour churn events. I miss the old all day quest events, without the short fuse.
>>Kerl

When I first started reading the description of Sylinar's Spire, I thought that was going to be it. As I kept reading, I was a little let down. I would have really loved for it to be a roleplaying event, especially since the possibility of gaining new knowledge would have had my main character salivating (so to speak).

>>The storyline at the past EG took a ton of hours to complete, even if what you witnessed in game wasn't that long. GM Haliste and Mikos spent several months organizing it. That's not even counting the coding that went into it.
>>It's hard to run a storyline with a massive service event. I did it for RtCF and CCF, and it went very unnoticed.
>>Wyrom

First, let me say that the storyline was incredible. The pacing was great. The recaps captured everything you needed to know to jump right in. Characters had a chance to participate even when the NPCs involved weren't around. I loved every moment of it. It had such a new and interesting twist that it's made me as a player as hungry for knowledge about the Chronomages as my wizard always has been. I also loved the fact that it was brains that won the day and not brawn. Atob was outmaneuvered by the Chronomages. (Though they do have the advantage of knowing the future, so there's that.)

What I was going for in the elimination of shopping was the need for the hours and hours of QC that goes into making/building/verifying shops so that that time could be spent elsewhere. Don't get me wrong. I love the shops. I love all the new things to play with. But I've found so many new things that fit my characters perfectly or would fit them perfectly if I could get them unlocked (thank you, oh maker of the new spectacles). That's also why I didn't add any services that I knew required QC after the fact (signature verbs, spell preps, log-in/off messages, loresongs, etc.).

As far as RtCF and CCF go, I looked around the grounds for the storylines at both events, but I'm not good at picking up on subtlety. I either notice everything or it all blends in together. For the longest time, the messaging in the Citadel freaked me the heck out until I realized it was ambient room messaging.
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/11/2014 09:11 AM CST
I think there's a certain reality in play here: any merchant event that allows us some opportunity to acquire nifty new things or improve existing things for our characters is going to be embraced.

Honestly, I am barely familiar with all the new things that have come out in the last 4.5 years. Ithzir, Voln, Bane. These are words on a page to me. Fusion, I understand, have bartered for fusion armor - and enhancives also now make me a slave to the Adventurer's Guild, to keep up with charges on items. Personally, I find this difficult to do with all the Cross Into Shadows things going on - that's on my pretty efficient capped ranger. I can't fathom it on my lower level characters who get 100 and 200 points at a time in doing a bounty.

If I had to focus on just one character? I don't know what I can have done. Padding for my fusion armor. Add enhancive properties to my wyrwood bow (because it's a character defining item - I'm not going to be trading in that bow for a fusion bow, sorry). Better flares / add enchantment to my hurling bandolier. Otherwise, find other enhancive items that may allow him to eventually hunt the Scatter - or - get other things that can be sold to pay for gear that will enable him to hunt the Scatter.

Let's not even get into the container debate. I've already covered that elsewhere.

The other characters I play. Well, 5 years ago, their gear was great. Now? Ugh. But I can't afford to get them all the best gear, and they're young, so that's not necessary anyway. However, I have run into a brick wall with LOCKED gear - things that I really enjoy enough off the shelf, perfectly suitable for those characters, and when I do find someone who will unlock - oh, they won't unlock THAT.

EG forced a lot of choices and concessions, which I understand and appreciate. But now I find myself with a ton of gear that it is not as good as it could be or should be. And I sit here debating whether to hold onto it "for some future hope" that I can get it worked on (unlocked, lightened, altered, etc) before something EVEN BETTER is released - or - just sell them and stick to what I have and maybe can have some things done to THOSE items.

This is maybe my only frustration as a returning player with limited time and resources. What I look for, in a merchant event, is to make those choices easier for me.

I hope some of this makes sense, mayhaps some of the coffee has not quite kicked in, yet.

~ Bill, Coyote.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/11/2014 09:14 AM CST
It's frustrating for old not returning players too Turin. You are not alone.

Velvette
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/11/2014 11:03 AM CST
In general, if a script provides increasing mechanical benefits when unlocked, it is not going to be something that is readily available via Xerria or other similar merchants. Things such as Voln Armor and Ithzir Flares fall into this category, as the unlocking provides very tangible benefits on each tier, verse something like more fluffy verb traps on another script.

___
SGM of 3P and P3
Platinum, Premium, Promotions, and
Magical Night Clubs
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/11/2014 01:28 PM CST
Any chance Items that Xerria can't unlock could have the merchant who can put in their Analyze? I found a lot of stuff at EG that said it was either partially unlocked, or not unlocked... and I have no clue who I need to find to unlock it.

Even merchants who say "I'll unlock things found around the festival" seem to have a list, and I don't want to be the person pulling out 5 different items and asking "How about this?"

I like the unlocking system, and items I get off the shelf I have a very firm idea who unlocks, but if I happen upon something.... damned if I know.
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/11/2014 05:19 PM CST
>>When I first started reading the description of Sylinar's Spire, I thought that was going to be it. As I kept reading, I was a little let down. I would have really loved for it to be a roleplaying event, especially since the possibility of gaining new knowledge would have had my main character salivating (so to speak).

I'll discuss this in the Spire thread.

~GM Liia
Team 3P, Paid Events Guru
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/12/2014 08:38 PM CST
Yes!! CCF is what it should be - Convocation of Coraesine Forest - a gathering of folk and the famous Coraesine merchant/smiths. Positive hoping is a powerful thing…I'm excited!
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/12/2014 09:38 PM CST
>First, let me say that the storyline was incredible.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's always nice to see players enjoy the efforts we've put into something.

Okay, sorry for the hijack!

~ Haliste ~
The M & M Guru
Forest Gnomes
Re: Convocation of Coraesine Forest 11/13/2014 01:47 PM CST
Unfortunately since my kids were born I haven't had much time at festivals for quests or games, its why I spend most of my time in Shattered. However, back during the Dhu Ghilly (both runs), I took part in the quests and thoroughly enjoyed exploring the ship. It's always amazing how much detail you guys put into these places, not to mention all the little quirks that make them come alive.