Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/04/2013 04:04 PM CDT
Skull rings don't work as anticipated with Phase. I wonder if the creator of the item would be able to comment if this is a bug or a feature.

From the official documentation of Phase: "When cast at locked containers the spell will take into account the weight of the container and all its contents rather than just the weight of the container itself."

Trying to open an item the ring has locked: "It appears to be locked."

But anything inside a skull-ring locked and phased container still contributes to encumbrance.

I selected this as my Black Swan win, assuming that "locked means locked." In the mean time, I'm amusing myself with locking my pocketed socks.

~daid (player of Kaldonis)
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/05/2013 10:24 AM CDT
I'm not the creator of skull rings, but I am the current owner of them. The only issue I can think of is the locked container might be setting off phase like it's a treasure chest. But it's definitely locked and closed with the skull ring. Because locked containers have some perks outside phase.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/05/2013 11:20 AM CDT
<<<Because locked containers have some perks outside phase.>>>

What kind of perks?

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/05/2013 12:27 PM CDT
Now I can't give away all the trade secrets! But I'll say it helps with certain... Wrong doings.

~Wyrom, SGM
Premium
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/06/2013 07:59 AM CDT
Oh, I'm an idiot!

Okay, I figured it out. Phasing for locked containers only goes one deep. I was testing it using one of my normal phasing containers inside my skull-ring item, hence it wasn't working.

I apologize for a false report, and I just needed more testing.

PS: Amazing pin worn phasing coat, you are mine!
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/06/2013 06:49 PM CDT
Hmm...

Do I understand this right? With a skull ring, you can lock and then phase a worn container, which 704 won't normally let you do?

O were you going to put that 'amazing pin worn phasing coat' into another container, and phase it?
Re: Skull Rings and Phase (704) 10/07/2013 01:38 AM CDT
No, I had the coat removed when I phased it, like any other phasing container I used.

It was in my hand, actually, when I phased it, but you can manipulate phased items (put away, take out) without any issues, despite the default messaging that manipulating phased items isn't such a good idea. For treasure chests, for example, this saves a step, since you can see immediately if the chest phases and if not toss it in a disk.

I do like the coat for a few reasons, though. One is that it uses a noun that can't be normally locked (and locking nouns are unlikely to be approved for alterations into this noun set). It's also pin worn, so it doesn't conflict with any other locations I use so far for phasing (eg I have only one open spot on my belt and have two phasing belt-worns). That last part means it's good for being a normal container, or for being phased, as I like.