Another Great Run 06/29/2013 03:23 PM CDT
I just wanted to shout out a big "thank you" to all my compatriots, and especially GM Vanah, for Friday night's run of Black Swan Castle. It was a blast! We bumped into only a few minor glitches, which Vanah promptly swooped in and squashed. Our group got along great together, in spite of some setbacks that kept us separated much of the time. At least a couple folks were good roleplayers and stayed in character, which I appreciated.

This was my second run, and the experience was quite a bit different from my first. My first group was all on pretty much even footing, in regards to knowledge of the quest. But this time, we had one party member, in particular, who knew the puzzles fairly well and was eager to blast through them. While this did mean we got to finish the whole quest, it left most of us standing around watching someone else complete all the puzzles. I don't begrudge him that, but at the same time it would have been more considerate and fun for all if he'd used his knowledge of the quest to let others get involved, instead of pretty much doing it all himself. I can't give specific examples without spoilers, but there were several instances where he could have given a few simple instructions and let others work on puzzles, but instead told everyone to "wait" while he went and did it himself. This was disappointing.

I want to make it clear I'm not blaming or judging, just offering constructive criticism for future runs. Since he seems to be signed up for almost every single run, there's no way to avoid the situation. So it's going to take a little patience and consideration on his part. I would like him to recognize that not everyone goes on these quests just for the prize at the end, and that by essentially running all the puzzles himself, he may be ruining the experience for others. I hope he'll accept this insight in a positive way, and perhaps slow down a bit and help others to participate next time.

In retrospect, I wish I'd spent more time on my own, working on puzzles myself instead of waiting around. But I was trying to be a team player, and didn't want to do something that might actually undo what someone else was doing (very easy to do). Also, some of the puzzles are really meant to be done with a group, and although they can be done alone...they take much longer solo. I was well on my way to completing one, for example, when I decided to wait until other members of the party could join me. But by the time we got back to it, even though we had most of the party, our leader chose to disembark and do the puzzle alone. He even instructed us to stay there and be quiet (I'm not joking). Naturally my first instinct was to go off on my own anyway, but I didn't want to be the one to cause the party some undo setback by bumbling around. So I waited obediently with everyone else.

Aside from these minor niggles, I still had a great time in the quest. I think it's very well done, on the whole. A few parts are a bit baffling, some are brilliant, and a couple downright evil. :)

One point regarding the quest, itself: I'm not sure removing all the fighting was a good thing. I understand the challenge with varying levels of adventurers. Yet I found moving through the quest lacked any sense of genuine danger, except when interacting with various puzzles (most of which are clearly dangerous by looking at them). It felt a little too safe. And for a troll-infested castle, it seemed conspicuously empty of any actual trolls. They wouldn't have to be outrageous, capped trolls or anything. The standard variety would be fine. Just something to add a sense of living danger to the quest. With all the mucking about, carrying things around, etc., even "normal" trolls would add an element of danger and surprise. You'd have to keep your guard up a bit, and be ready for action. Something to consider.

Just one other teensy weensy little observation. I was a bit surprised that after completing the whole quest, there was no EXP awarded. Wait, what? I think completing Black Swan Castle--or even failing at it, for that matter--ought to count for at least a head full of experience. In every other gaming system I can think of, completing a major quest earns quite a bit of experience. Is there a reason this is different?

Now having said all that, I just want to state again that I loved the quest. I would love to take another run--but without someone who already knows all the puzzles (or at least with someone who's willing to slow down and use his/her knowledge to help others enjoy the quest, too). It could be a welcome asset having someone knowledgeable along, as long as that person is willing to kick back a bit and let others work on the puzzles, offering an occasional nudge in the right direction when called for. I recognize nobody's obligated to do so...but it certainly would be nice. I also recognize that not everybody is good at playing "dungeon master" and helping others in a soft-handed way. This is just something to keep in mind.

Again, thank you Vanah for all your work. You do a fantastic job! Just amazing. The work you've put into this is very obvious. I wish we had more of this kind of experience in Gemstone, and hope that Black Swan Castle will serve as a model for other similar projects in the future.

Sincerely,

Player of Auntia and friends

Re: Another Great Run 06/29/2013 03:51 PM CDT
No Creatures? I've been seeing a lot of XXXXX just dies in Black Swan Castle type messaging.
Re: Another Great Run 06/29/2013 04:40 PM CDT
>No Creatures? I've been seeing a lot of XXXXX just dies in Black Swan Castle type messaging.

The quest was recently changed to include fewer creatures.

Most of the deaths from last night were rather "shocking".

Anywho, I am hating that it took so long to get back in. The solution to our problem was where I thought it was, I just couldn't get to it!

I had a good time, all things considered.
Re: Another Great Run 06/29/2013 04:44 PM CDT
>>No Creatures? I've been seeing a lot of XXXXX just dies in Black Swan Castle type messaging.

There are at least 3 spots I can immediately think of where you can get killed without any need of a creature being around.
Re: Another Great Run 06/29/2013 07:08 PM CDT
<<<Anywho, I am hating that it took so long to get back in. The solution to our problem was where I thought it was, I just couldn't get to it!>>>

Yeah, that was the worst part of the night, I think. In hindsight I wish I'd gone out to help. I went looking around on the inside for the thing you needed, but when I found out it was on the outside, I figured you guys would get it. Sorry you were stuck out there so long! :(
Re: Another Great Run 06/29/2013 07:32 PM CDT

Uh oh, I fergotted all about it.
When be next run?

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)