Black Swan Tickets 06/18/2013 04:15 PM CDT
I've set up a few Black Swan runs for next weekend. Tickets are on sale now.

If there are any general special requests for open runs (as opposed to private runs) at certain times or on certain days, let me know.

Have fun storming the castle!

Solomon
Re: Black Swan Tickets 06/21/2013 06:32 PM CDT
Woohoo! I'm signed up for the 6/28 run (next Friday night at 8PM). Looks like a nice group so far, with two slots left. We sure could use a cleric. Any volunteers? :D

~ Auntia and friends
Re: Black Swan Tickets 06/21/2013 07:38 PM CDT
Yeah, I'll sign up.
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/15/2013 10:42 AM CDT
There are a few more runs available for the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest in the box office (all times are eastern):

Remember that the box office is closed on the weekends, so if you want to attend a run, please plan in advance and purchase your ticket at least the day before the run!

Tuesday, 07/16 (Tomorrow! Buy today!)
11:00 AM

Thursday, 07/18
01:00 PM

Friday, 07/19
09:00 PM

Saturday, 07/20
10:00 AM

Saturday, 07/20
07:00 PM

Sunday, 07/21
09:00 AM

Sunday, 07/21
04:00 PM

~Vanah
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 09:38 AM CDT
Is there a recommended minimum number of players for this quest? What with the strict 'no refunds' policy listed on the signup page, I declined to be the first (potentially only) one to sign up for this morning's run.

Also, there has been no update to the "three hours" in the quest description on the website (https://www.play.net/gs4/news.asp?id=1176). It wasn't until I read through the (many) posts in this forum that I saw this has changed to five hours.
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 10:55 AM CDT
>Is there a recommended minimum number of players for this quest?

The Return to Black Swan Castle Quest can be run alone. The puzzles can all be completed alone. All of them!

I will see about getting the website updated.

~Vanah
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 11:14 AM CDT
I wouldn't want to try it.

A red-hulled airship stained in tears crashes into Solhaven with a "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound.
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 12:12 PM CDT

I, too, didn't sign up for this morning's run not being sure I could complete it alone. Maybe we should try and coordinate better ahead of time with release times here on the boards.

Best,
Jim/Tk
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 12:23 PM CDT

A bit of clarification please,

I was under the impression that teamwork was pretty important to the quest such that if you had a full group and one person wanted to go racing ahead solo they'd be hindered by not having the other 9 people. Now if it is designed such that if you have 10 people and 9 are afk the RT associated with certain tasks is really high as the quest thinks at least a 2-4 of the 10 people are contributing that is just fine so long as the other side of the coin is that if 1-2 people are signed up the RT associated for the same tasks is far far less. I too wouldn't mind exploring the quest in a small group if I picked an unpopular time but I"d hate to also find that I'm simply stuck without a sidekick.

Lochiven
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 12:44 PM CDT
Teamwork is important, but you aren't punished for having a smaller (or no!) team. The tasks scale to the number of participants. Many of the puzzles have alternate solutions, and all of the puzzles can be done solo.

~Vanah
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 01:56 PM CDT
>>Teamwork is important, but you aren't punished for having a smaller (or no!) team. The tasks scale to the number of participants. Many of the puzzles have alternate solutions, and all of the puzzles can be done solo.

Good to know. I'd also seen the comments about how good it is to have a cleric, or an empath, or a generally diverse team, and so on. I hadn't realized that the quest scaled down to be playable even solo.

Now, I probably wouldn't want to play it solo... because I'm bad at Zork... but I might have risked the early signup to encourage others to get on board. (And who knows how many people didn't sign up for today's because they didn't want to risk being the only quester!)
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 04:43 PM CDT
<<<Teamwork is important, but you aren't punished for having a smaller (or no!) team. The tasks scale to the number of participants. Many of the puzzles have alternate solutions, and all of the puzzles can be done solo.>>>

That's pretty awesome. I think it would be fun to try a solo run, simply for the challenge. It'd be a whole different experience. The only issue I'd have, is feeling guilty about making Vanah run the whole quest just for little ole me. That and feeling self-conscious as I bumble around getting nowhere.... :)

Some years ago, I decided I'd go out and see the Matrix III, all by myself, at 10PM on a Tuesday night. Weird, I know! I walked up to the box office, where a girl sold me my ticket...and I never saw another living soul, for the entire time I was in the theater. Literally, not one. Nobody took my ticket. Nobodey was at the concession stand. Nobody showed me to the theater. There was not another single person in the theater. I watched the whole movie by myself. When it was over, I got up and walked out...completely alone. It was the most surreal experience!

I think doing Black Swan Castle solo would be a bit like that. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 06:37 PM CDT
We recently saw Monsters University at an iPic theater. Weekday night and a late showing at an upscale theater, so we had it entirely to ourselves. We got to spend 3 hours in super comfy recliners, snacking on brie and grilled chicken panini, served with apple butter and these delicious truffle oil fries dusted with parmesan. And the drinks! They had a menu of only Austin-local liquors, and it was wonderful.

After realizing we had the place entirely to ourselves, we did what any reasonable pair of twenty-somethings would do and Mystery Science Theater 3000'd the entire movie. It was a pretty amazing experience, and I highly suggest seeing a movie in theater with only a group of friends if the option ever presents itself.

___
GemStone IV will be up shortly!
Sorry guys, my bad :(
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/16/2013 10:38 PM CDT
<<<After realizing we had the place entirely to ourselves, we did what any reasonable pair of twenty-somethings would do and Mystery Science Theater 3000'd the entire movie. It was a pretty amazing experience, and I highly suggest seeing a movie in theater with only a group of friends if the option ever presents itself.>>>

LOL -- Sounds like fun. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/17/2013 09:06 AM CDT

Did someone offer you a blue pill as you went in Heathyr? The Matrix had you. :)
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/17/2013 01:35 PM CDT
<<<Did someone offer you a blue pill as you went in Heathyr? The Matrix had you. :)>>>

That crossed my mind! :)

~ Heathyr
Re: Black Swan Tickets 07/19/2013 09:26 AM CDT

Really hope more folks show up!