Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/02/2013 09:11 PM CDT
We are getting ready to open up the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest for private runs. Please be aware that due to issues with automation that arose during the runs in March and April, we have made several adjustments:
•Removed most combat, allowing grouping for different-level adventurers
•Replaced tiered success a flat success/not success and regrouped prizes accordingly
•Increased time limit to five hours so all can finish without feeling rushed
•Adjusted random factors for some of the puzzles
•Added a "quit early" option for claiming a prize

Private runs can be requested by emailing quests@simutronics.com. If you would prefer public runs set up, name a date and time and we'll see about getting it up on the website. Your time slot may not be available if there is another run scheduled, even if the participants do not need the full five hours to complete the quest.

Some of the prizes have been adjusted or removed. The two prize tiers are listed below. Please keep in mind that the script owners have the right to pull their items, so some may be removed or more may be added as runs progress.

Success:
Prize Purpose
Crimson kelyn dagger Fully unlocked five-times enchanted Siolan dagger; Enhances Ambush and Combat Maneuver Bonuses
Troll-arm scabbard Squishy troll-arm scabbard that can hold one weapon; Enhances Health Recovery
Troll-leg backsheath Squishy troll-leg backsheath that can hold two weapons; Enhances Health Recovery
Thick leather blackjack Four-times enchanted blackjack with knockout flares
Golden skull ring Skull ring that attunes to a container to open and shut it; Enhances Perception
Onyx feather brooch Gold-ring holder with feather messaging; Enhances Max Mana and Mana Recovery
Drakar short sword Fully unlocked Thousand Cuts short sword; enchanted six times with fire flares
Vultite longsword Four-times enchanted expander weapon -- switch between a dagger, a short sword, and a longsword!
Orange yarn mugwump Disk Transformer with 500 charges; results in oil-coated disk
Marble prayerbeads Unattuned prayerbeads; Enhances Religion Lore
Pouch-lined harness An unlocked Cidolfhus bandolier (12 verbs) with increased capacity
Black linen harness Katana sash with special Black Swan Castle loresong; Enhances Edged Weapon Bonus
Spiked mace Unlocked Iasha white ora weapon with five enchants
White ora maul Unlocked Iasha white ora weapon with five enchants
Grey wolf fur satchel Fully unlocked Cidolfhus bundling skins and fur bag; Enhances First Aid and Survival Bonuses
Orase quarterstaff Six-times enchanted quarterstaff with a hidden four-times enchanted katana inside
Shimmering violet orb One-use orb allows you to learn from your experiences faster!
White satin gown Nalea gown with Black Swan Castle loresong
Black ruic longbow Four-times enchanted somewhat-sighted longbow; Enhances Perception, Ranged Weapon, Dexterity, and Ambush Bonuses
Mykalin scale gloves Five-times enchanted unarmed combat gloves with Unbalance flares
Carved wooden troll Figurine that allows you to speak (but not understand) Trollish
Two-toned stone bead Fully unlocked hair bauble; includes braid and ponytail options
Troll spine Drop into your existing non-enhancive armor to add Health and Stamina Recoveries
Loose white robes Five-times enchanted robes with fire flares and fur lining
Black leather backpack Reduces encumbrance once per day; max light and deep
Troll flesh pin Infuses health once per day; Enhances health recovery
Troll magus fetish Infuses mana once per day; Enhances mana recovery

Not Success:
Bloodjewel ring Enhances Harness Power, Mana Recovery, and Spiritual, Mental, and Elemental Mana Controls Bonuses (*)
Chicken foot Enhances Stalking & Hiding and Ambush (*)
Troll finger pendant Enhances Dodging, Agility, and Intuition bonuses (*)
White leather gloves Enhances Spell Aiming Bonus and Elemental Air Lore Ranks (*)
Black swan charm Enhances Mana Recovery (*)
White swan charm Enhances Max Spirit and Spirit Recovery (*)
Horned pegasus charm Enhances Stamina Recovery and Constitution Bonus (*)
Wolverine fur scarf Enhances Stamina Recovery and Survival Bonus (*)
Green alligator bag Self-closing large capacity belt-worn container
Kitten satchel Self-closing large capacity belt-worn container
Troll hide bag Large capacity belt-worn container; Enhances health regeneration
Shimmering green orb One-use orb allows you to learn from your experiences faster!
Imflass close helmet Heavy critical padded helm with locking faceplate; Enhances Multi Opponent Combat Ranks, Combat Maneuver Bonus, and Strength Bonuses (*)
Black felt hat Enhances Dexterity and Perception Bonuses (*)
Orc hide hip-satchel Large capacity belt-worn container; has a skull clasp
Black leather gloves Trick gloves; Enhances Disarming Traps, Picking Locks, and Pickpocketing Bonuses (*)
Brown silk gloves Ensigiled gloves; Enhances Spell Aiming Bonus and Mana Recovery (*)
Silvery imflass lance Five-enchant weapon that telescopes between a cudgel and a lance; Enhances Multi Opponent Combat Ranks & Strength and Agility Bonus (*)
Gold and ruby bracelet Enhances Logic bonus
Cloth-of-vaalin gown Fully unlocked metallic gown

*Prizes marked with (*) will attune to the winner and have enhancives that will burn out quickly

~Vanah
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/02/2013 10:08 PM CDT
Thanks for bringing the quest back, it's definitely good to see it returning.

Not sure I'm a fan of the new prize structure though - glad I got to do some runs with the original prizes and tiers but was hoping to try for a few more of those upper tier prizes for my alts. There are a couple things left I want though, so I may end up doing this again after all. Just not as many times as I had planned.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/02/2013 11:14 PM CDT

Saves me 15 bucks, took out everything I was interested in. Why am I not surprised?
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 05:11 AM CDT

Basically, they decided HCP armor was to good to keep in, and removed it. Frankly the tiers made sense. I think the issue is, that people figured out the quest, and could easily complete T6, so they had to remove the armor so the market wouldn't be flooded with it.

Likely the quit early gives you a Not success prize, which means people can now just pay 13.50 for an RPA orb.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 05:13 AM CDT

It also means that all the people that wanted to go, but were not fast enough to sign up, don't even get a shot at the items removed (armor). At least I got to go, even if the Castle spawned unbeatable trolls, and stopped us from using magic.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 05:35 AM CDT

I can't believe how bad the prizes got nerfed. This is a joke.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 08:00 AM CDT
Disappointed.

I would rather have the original quest (minus the bugs) and possibility of good rewards than a watered down version with mediocre rewards. As far as I know, only one group managed to get to tier 6 in the initial runs, though a few groups were close. If the reason for restructuring the prize tiers is because you made it easier to complete, then I think most people would prefer harder with a chance at nicer rewards. If, on the other hand, you are worried about flooding the game with HCP fusion armor as people figure out the quest, I'm sure there are other ways of preventing that.

Just my opinion.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 08:04 AM CDT
I'll add my vote to the pile of those not liking this change. I appreciate the efforts of the GMs involved to get this quest up and running as soon as possible, but all the same, i'd prefer if it is shelved until such a time as the original prizes were able to be offered in a fair and balanced way. Will people script it? Probably. People script everything. That's their choice, and I expect GMs can throw a few wrenches in the works to gum things up from time to time.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 10:34 AM CDT
We all knew that armor was going to get removed. This is probably the right timing on it since they had time to crunch data from the first 8? runs or so.

The prizes don't seem too bad to me. I've read the list of things removed that were big ticket items and thats life. Remember that this is a Quest and meant to be entertaining and fun. For $15 I think some of the expectations for rewards were well out of line.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 01:52 PM CDT
I still think the prizes are awesome. I appreciate the fact the quest has been refocused on the actual quest, and prizes and combat have been de-emphasized. I'm really looking forward to returning to Black Swan Castle!

~ Heathyr and friends

Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/03/2013 04:17 PM CDT
Me too!

A red-hulled airship stained in tears crashes into Solhaven with a "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" sound.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/04/2013 02:29 PM CDT
Had they left the fluff tier 6 prizes I don't think I'd be so disappointed. Yes, I had hoped for some decent padded brig for my rogue but I'd have been just as happy to get a forehead gem for my wizard since it fits her.

Velvette
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/07/2013 01:53 PM CDT
Don't agree with the new prize structure. But in standard simutronics fashion they get your hopes up and then rip it out. I have no doubt that people will still do the quest, but you've probably lost a lot of people wanting to do it multiple times for good armor for multiple characters.

Yes there would have been some people that ran it just to sell the items they won. Who cares? The inflation in this game is crazy. Think about if you started a completely new character with zero help from any of your characters. You would struggle to get gear over 5x.

Just put the items back in.

Alkire

Alkire
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/07/2013 08:35 PM CDT
>>Think about if you started a completely new character with zero help from any of your characters. You would struggle to get gear over 5x. <<

Just curious. How long do you think it would take to get 5x gear (or similar claid's, FGB etc....) starting from lvl 0 with no donations from other accounts or characters? I don't think any of my characters could afford it for a LONG time.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/08/2013 01:01 AM CDT
<<<but you've probably lost a lot of people wanting to do it multiple times for good armor for multiple characters.>>>

Isn't that the point, really? Do we really want people doing the quest multiple times for all their characters, just to get "good" armor? Shouldn't the point of the quest be the quest?

<<<You would struggle to get gear over 5x.>>>

In all the time since I started playing over 17 years ago, I have never had anything over 6x. I have exactly three 6x items, none of which are weighted, sighted, padded, or anything other than lightened. I have a few 5x things, and I'm slowly working on more. Everything else is standard 4x or below, most of it off-the-shelf. This is not to say I don't have some wonderful artifacts. I certainly do. All I'm saying, is that nobody "needs" anything above 4x or 5x. I understand the desire for highly enchanted gear, but not the expectation for it. Getting gear over 5x is not meant to be easy or commonplace.

I appreciate the disappointment some players may feel from the change to the prize structure. But the armor was already a top tier item, so in order to get it, most players would need to have advance knowledge of the quest (or just be that good, or lucky). In any event, it wasn't meant to be a coin machine where you pay your money and out pops a killer suit of armor.

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/08/2013 01:25 AM CDT
Whaaa? You can regularly buy 5x items for 50k-100k from other players. It drops from the treasure system.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/08/2013 04:20 AM CDT
>>How long do you think it would take to get 5x gear (or similar claid's, FGB etc....) starting from lvl 0 with no donations from other accounts or characters? I don't think any of my characters could afford it for a LONG time.

lets see ... in game for nearly twenty years, level 70, and Clunk will soon (hoepfully) have his first weapon with 5X or over.

Got one set of 5x shield and one set of 5x half-plate though, years ago.

Clunk

(Buy your swords at CBD weapons in Zul Logoth.)
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/08/2013 12:57 PM CDT
>>Isn't that the point, really? Do we really want people doing the quest multiple times for all their characters, just to get "good" armor? Shouldn't the point of the quest be the quest?

Honestly, if that's what people (i.e. paying customers) would like to do, why shouldn't they be able to? It's been said repeatedly that some people run these for the experience, some people run them for the prizes, some people run them for a combination of the two. Different strokes for different folks and other cliches.

I'm not just disappointed about the armor, I'm disappointed about the removal of the Black Swan forehead gem, hedgehog, etc...it's not always "just" about battle gear.

The greater frustration is that tickets sold out so quickly that everyone who wanted a chance at that original prize pool did not get that chance. Everyone that wanted a shot at that original format of the quest did not get to experience that original format (tiers, trolls, oh my).

If we were a one year plus and tickets weren't selling out in minutes, then there's more justification to overhaul the whole shebang.

I appreciate the work that Vanah did and the labor of love that it takes to overhaul Black Swan Castle, but the factors that decide whether or not I want a ticket have changed, period.
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/09/2013 12:49 AM CDT
<<<I appreciate the work that Vanah did and the labor of love that it takes to overhaul Black Swan Castle, but the factors that decide whether or not I want a ticket have changed, period.>>>

I can understand your point of view. And actually, I thought the tiered system was pretty neat, as well as some of the prizes. It's just not my personal motivation for wanting to do the quest. As you said, different strokes and all that. I still think the prizes are pretty fantastic, honestly, and it certainly won't discourage me from trying again sometime. The Black Swan quest was, in all seriousness, one of the coolest things I've done in Gemstone in quite some time. My group would probably think I'm crazy for saying so, but even though we got stuck at the second tier, I enjoyed every minute of it. :)

~ Heathyr and friends
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/10/2013 11:20 AM CDT

>I still think the prizes are awesome. I appreciate the fact the quest has been refocused on the actual quest, and prizes and combat have been de-emphasized. I'm really looking forward to returning to Black Swan Castle!

Also agree, and looking forward to returning, and finishing the quest with more time and less rush.

I would be fine with combat, as long as it's balanced to the level of the person there. +1 to City of Heroes for their invasion critters that were always like level / +1 / +2 to your abilities.

Also, if you haven't checked out the lower level/attuned/cannot be recharged options.. they really are powerful, and definitely too powerful to be recharged. My 40ish mage picked up a set of the brown silk gloves, and they are +20 spell aiming, (10 levels!), and a lot to mana regen at every pulse. Either is great, both are.. awesome.

The single run I did put us at tier... uh... four? and I took an item from tier2, with plans on returning for an item from tier4 (which I think is now on 'pass' tier).
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/06/2013 03:13 PM CDT
Got some questions on these items:
Vultite longsword Four-times enchanted expander weapon -- switch between a dagger, a short sword, and a longsword!
Orase quarterstaff Six-times enchanted quarterstaff with a hidden four-times enchanted katana inside
Q)Can these be further enchanted, weighted, permablessed etc... How would it work? I'd assume that the entire weapon goes up 1x per sucessful enchant so the quarterstaff would move 7x (though you'd have to win a service or PP's to enchant the Katana)

Black linen harness Katana sash with special Black Swan Castle loresong; Enhances Edged Weapon Bonus
Q) What are the stats on the bonus? Is it permanent or does it require BP's to recharge?

Troll spine Drop into your existing non-enhancive armor to add Health and Stamina Recoveries
Q) What are the stats, re-charge costs and is can you remove it to drop in another set of armor?
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/06/2013 11:51 PM CDT
Not sure on the weapon expander one. But the sword cane, each weapon is treated as a different weapon. So if you enchant the quarterstaff, that is all you're enchanting.

All enhancives generally require recharging via BPs. Only a small handful don't, and we'd specifically state such.

I believe players have done the research on the spine.

~Wyrom, SGM
Quests
Platinum
Promotions
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 06/29/2014 01:10 AM CDT
Did this again yesterday with an awesome group. It's been a while, I had forgotten how much fun it was and how nifty a lot of the prizes were. Had a great time, and my sailing badge went up a notch (hah).

I signed up for it shortly beforehand -- since I had time to do it -- but hadn't logged out, didn't realize I needed to do so for it to "register" (lesson learned!)... but GM Zoelle [I think I spelled that right] was awesome enough to help with that.

Thanks again! :)

"Never could I breathe love if I did not first learn to inhale a little bit of chaos."
- Christopher Poindexter
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/18/2014 10:16 PM CDT
Recently did this yet again, and it was quite fun... learned a bit more about the various puzzles and whatnot with my group, and had a great time -- I continue to love this quest, and the prizes are really fun and awesome.

Just a word of clarification for others, though: the pouch-lined harness (pirate bandolier) on the prize list is noted as being "fully unlocked", which is technically true, but it is not auction quality level of unlocking (the final tier); so basically there are 12-verb versions (fully unlocked, available as a gold prize), and 16-verb versions (uber-rare auction quality)... so now you know, and that's my PSA for the day!

I had this confirmed for me after being initially very confused. The pertinent info is also here:
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Game%20Design%20Discussions/Items%20and%20Inventory/thread/1623017

Didn't see the later posts in that thread before making my selection, alas -- no regrets though, I've already signed up to do it again and I'll pick a different prize... but hopefully this may prevent someone else from making the same mistake.

"Never could I breathe love if I did not first learn to inhale a little bit of chaos."
- Christopher Poindexter
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/19/2014 06:04 AM CDT
The quest came out before Wyrom added the auction-level tier. The prize sign was updated when it was pointed out last year and currently says:

Pouch-lined harness An unlocked Cidolfhus bandolier (12 verbs) with increased capacity

Please go by the prize sign available in the tent, and not by krakiipedia, if you want the most recent information!

~Vanah
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/19/2014 11:30 AM CDT
Please go by the prize sign available in the tent, and not by krakiipedia, if you want the most recent information! ~Vanah

Yeah, that was totally my bad -- I was choosing by the prize list above in this thread, because I find webpages easier to peruse without going all squinty eyed. In retrospect, it would have been prudent to double-check with the IG sign to confirm that info.

Totes not worried about it, though; just wanted to drop that particular info hereabouts also, in case anyone was about to make a similar faux pas. I've already signed up for another upcoming run, and I'm sure I'll do again in the future... because I love fun toys and getting flung over walls.

- Christopher Poindexter
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/19/2014 11:59 PM CDT

if you want to email me the prize list I can update the 'pedia in the next week
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/20/2014 05:49 PM CDT
Did the quest again, had a great time as always, remembered to check the IG sign this time -- can confirm it's the same as the list above, so feel free to update away on the 'pedia!

- Christopher Poindexter
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 07/20/2014 06:24 PM CDT
I think it was really just the one item -- like Vanah said, the bando spiffing-up was added after the prize list was formed so it was fully unlocked at the time, but now there's a "more uber-unlocked" form (which is pretty sweet)... just a minor thing, but the wording above better reflects that now too, so thanks for updating that!

I totally love this quest by the way, and I'll say yet again: I think the prizes are boss, so kudos to someone[s] for coming up with them... oh, and whoever thought up the various puzzles and designs should get a gold star, as well.

- Christopher Poindexter
Re: Adjustments to the Return to Black Swan Castle Quest 08/10/2014 06:45 PM CDT
FYI, I made two quality of life to the quest today. One is an update to an existing profession shortcut (for bards), and the other adds a new one (for monks).

~Vanah