7/31 Run Sign up 07/31/2012 08:33 AM CDT
I'll do the 5pm run tonight if it is open! Sent an email to tech support as the button in the site says the run is closed.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 07/31/2012 02:00 PM CDT
Thanks for the sign up whoever that was!

I'll be running my soon to be 39 lock picking Bard tonight.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 07/31/2012 08:49 PM CDT
I am unhappy with this outcome. Not for myself, I really don't care about that too much. I intentionally downgraded my sign-up char to make this more of a fun event for all who paid their dollars. Still, with a short time remaining we seemed to be at least within reach of achieving the goal.. and then this happened.

>read plaqIn the Common language, it reads:
A precious stone believed to have been found long ago at the site now called the Cascade of Tears.
>'let me see that serpent?You ask, "Let me see that serpent?"
>Gufframmar says, "Twelve minutes."
>nodYou nod.
>Cyphier offers you a bejewelled emerald-scaled winged serpent with golden toned wings. Click ACCEPT to accept the offer or DECLINE to decline it. The offer will expire in 30 seconds.
>accYou accept Cyphier's offer and are now holding a bejewelled emerald-scaled winged serpent with golden toned wings.
>put serp in banAs you go to place a bejewelled emerald-scaled winged serpent with golden toned wings in a tattered Vornavian silk banner, the discordant hum in the area rises to a screech! A violent arc of blue energy leaps from the Vornavian silk banner and strikes you!
... 60 points of damage!
Electric shock causes a strong enough convulsion to snap your neck.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 14 mins...
>s[Vornavis Room, North Niche]
Thick skeins of dust-laden webs slant across the rough stone walls of the corridor, their pallid tendrils swaying as the air beneath them is disturbed. Tattered and faded, an ochre and pale green banner presides over a glass and brass display case. Debris, comprised of discarded rodent bones and moldy papers, litters the floor, which is covered with a hole-riddled carpet of faded silk. You also see the Cyphier disk, and the Gufframmar disk.
Also here: Gufframmar, Cyphier
Obvious exits: south
>You are a ghost! You must wait until someone resurrects you, or you decay. Either way, it won't be long now! (HELP for more details).
>Gufframmar winces.
>'what?You ask, "What?"
>'so stupidYou say, "So stupid."
>whisper ooc group i tried to place it my bandolier, it went to the bannerYou can't whisper to a group while dead.
>Gufframmar picks up a sturdy mithril trunk.
>whisper ooc guff i tried to place it my bandolier, it went to the banner(OOC) You quietly whisper to Gufframmar, "I tried to place it my bandolier, it went to the banner."
>Cyphier asks, "Did I do something wrong?"
>Gufframmar put a sturdy mithril trunk in the Gufframmar disk.
>'no, it's my faultYou say, "No, it's my fault."
>l[Vornavis Room, North Niche]
Thick skeins of dust-laden webs slant across the rough stone walls of the corridor, their pallid tendrils swaying as the air beneath them is disturbed. Tattered and faded, an ochre and pale green banner presides over a glass and brass display case. Debris, comprised of discarded rodent bones and moldy papers, litters the floor, which is covered with a hole-riddled carpet of faded silk. You also see an engraved iron trunk, the Cyphier disk and the Gufframmar disk.
>'find the last itemYou say, "Find the last item."
>Gufframmar picks up an engraved iron trunk.
>l[Vornavis Room, North Niche]
Thick skeins of dust-laden webs slant across the rough stone walls of the corridor, their pallid tendrils swaying as the air beneath them is disturbed. Tattered and faded, an ochre and pale green banner presides over a glass and brass display case. Debris, comprised of discarded rodent bones and moldy papers, litters the floor, which is covered with a hole-riddled carpet of faded silk. You also see the Cyphier disk and the Gufframmar disk.
>Gufframmar put an engraved iron trunk in the Gufframmar disk.
>Gufframmar nods.
>Gufframmar reaches out and holds Cyphier's hand.
>'i'll be back as fast as I can if I canYou say, "I'll be back as fast as I can if I can."
>depart
Being dead is truly boring...but things could be worse. You could be bored AND in pain.

If you wish to depart this plane, so as to immediately continue on your journey, please click DEPART CONFIRM.

>Cyphier nods at Gufframmar.
>depart confirmThe world before you dissolves into a grainy montage of color...

I tried to get back, I ate the depart for the group. Didn't work out. But still. Hold my syntax error against me.. tho why a char would confuse a hanging banner for a bandolier on their chest makes no sense to me. That aside, I don't see why a banner is the same as placing the wrong item in a case. Take away the prize from me for my error, I have no issue with that. But don't penalize the other two chars in my group who tried very hard and also sucked up some death. Without the banner, I think we would have likely finished. Maybe there's no way to know for that sure, but that's why I'm willing to give up my slot. There's at least a high probability we would have finished, so reward those other two for their efforts. They didn't typo away the loss. It's one thing for the group to get overrun, someone get imploded, etc. It's another thing for a banner hanging in a room to smite a player, thus causing the group to fail.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 08/01/2012 06:52 AM CDT

While I am certainly not going to blame Temujin for the syntax error, I do think it was completely bogus. Twelve minutes to go, we had it beat. We had the loresinging done thanks to Cyphier and were just going through the rooms with Song of Peace up and looking for the cases. I picked up the last item, the pendant, immediately after Temujin departed. I honestly feel that we only failed to complete the quest due to that bug with the banner. We shouldn't be penalized for something that was a flaw in how the quest was created.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 08/01/2012 08:03 AM CDT
I do. As penance I will make sure I focus on things such as get wallet from my pocket, put keys in my bag, drink my water, etc.

All that aside, I think that if three people can randomly get together and almost make it through, that should encourage others to give the event a try. It was fun, excluding a slightly atypical moment. The foes were decent, placing items was good for some saturation, and while I have no idea how good the loot was yet, it seemed plentiful.

Suddently a rippling tutor materializes, heading right towards you!

Suddently a shadowy archivist materializes!

Suddently a wailing pupil materializes!

Suddently a blurry archivist materializes!

- Further proof that typos are lethal.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 08/01/2012 08:17 AM CDT
I was wearing a bandolier as well but did not have that problem with the Ta"vaalor banner.

It is understandable that something like this is a challenge that can possibly come to a non-favourable conclusion. That's really the point of something being a challenge.

That being said...

Money well spent? 3 hours did fly by. Silvers were acquired. But the decent non-game-breaking prize was not. :(

From the standpoint of $ = fun it did pay off. Unfortunately because of an unusual syntax error it seemed that the final prize that was well within our grasp was lost at the last second through no real fault of the user.

We were only three people. I can see how it could well have gone the other way. I can see how we could have done it better. I can see how a large group could really farm a good number of silvers from the experience. I can also now understand where the term "consolation prize" comes from.

Everything about it was pretty cool. Nowhere near as complex as some other GS quests I've done. Great action and loot actually. My char might have been able to do this on his own. Can I get a discount for running one more time alone? :)

All in all, yeah, hit a mechanic snag, and that sucked. Still a fun few hours.
Re: 7/31 Run Sign up 08/01/2012 02:45 PM CDT
That will happen any time you try to put an artifact in any non-worn container that isn't it's proper case. I had the same thing happen to someone that was with me when he tried to put one in a disk.

~James
Player of Septimius